From: Texascavers <texascavers-boun...@texascavers.com> On Behalf Of David
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2019 11:17 PM
To: CaveTex <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Subject: [Texascavers] Dr. Stephen Attaway - Albuquerque/TAG caver

Stephen Attaway
Fellow of the National Speleological Society
2-10-60 to 2-28-19

https://cache.legacy.net/legacy/images/Cobrands/ABQJournal/Photos/1440920-01-1_20190310.jpg

Steve was born in Leeds, Alabama.

Steve received his Doctorate in Engineering in Computational Mechanics from the
Georgia Institute of Technology in 1986. Steve had been employed at Sandia
National Laboratories since February 16, 1987 and was a Senior Scientist. He
was a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and a Fellow in
the National Speleological Society.

Growing up in the South, Steve was an active caver since his high school years
and served in cave rescue alongside his father.

Steve served in Albuquerque Mountain Rescue as a rescue leader, performing
hundreds of rescue missions in the wilderness of New Mexico. Steve was an
award-winning jeweler and gem carver and a pioneer in jewelry making technology
and techniques, in concert with his wife, Nancy, who is an award-winning
facetor of gems and designer of original pieces. Steve was also a member of the
New Mexico Faceters Guild. Steve is survived by his wife of thirty-five years,
Nancy L. Attaway; his father, John W. Attaway, Jr.; his mother, Betty Joyce
Basden; and sister, Myrna Attaway.

Services were held in Leeds, Alabama, March 23, 2019. A Memorial Service was
held March 30, 2019.

Charitable donations may be may made to the Albuquerque Mountain Rescue team at
www dot abqmountainrescue dot
org/donate<http://www.abqmountainrescue.org/donate>.
***This is an external email - beware links & attachments from unknown
senders***