Are we still meeting at the City of Austin Council at 5:00???

Rune

From: Justin Shaw
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2019 12:03 PM
To: CaveTex
Subject: [Texascavers] CoA William Cave Resolution Passed

Good Morning Cavers,

I have fantastic news to share with you on this William H. Russel Austin Cave
Heritage Day:

The resolution which was on today’s Austin City Council agenda as item#: 48 has
passed 🎉

Approve a resolution directing the City Manager to initiate proceedings under
City Code Section 14-1-39 renaming the Blowing Sink Research Management Area to
the William H. Russell Karst Preserve, to develop a land management plan for
the tract, to prepare a report on existing cave and karst feature projects and
programs and a memorandum of understanding between relevant departments
addressing cave restoration and water quality monitoring for caves on
City-owned land.

There is still a process that shall be followed for the renaming to become in
effect. I’ll keep everyone appraised of progress as I know of it.

Addressing our request for the City of Austin to engage the local caving
community as the most knowledgeable stakeholders in further exploration and
documentation of its karst resources is language directing the various City
departments involved in cave management to work together with steakholders -
that’s us cavers - and report back in October of this year and January of next.
I am very optimistic that this process will be fruitful. I will keep everyone
updated as this process proceeds, particularly when there are opportunities for
Cavers to speak up and be heard.

Thank you to everyone who supported the petition.

The smell of victory is in the air.

Justin Leigh Shaw

jus...@oztotl.net

512-593-CAVE (2283) - mobile voice & text

"we need to start using our collective intelligence in a creative, clear and
coherent manner"
      - John Trudell