Please let me know what I can do from afar.  🙂

Missy
________________________________
From: Texascavers <texascavers-boun...@texascavers.com> on behalf of Crash
Kennedy <cavercr...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2019 4:59 PM
To: CaveTex <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Subject: [Texascavers] National Cave and Karst Management Symposium

Cavers,

Every two years we have a National Cave and Karst Management Symposium (NCKMS)
somewhere around the country.  This year's is in Bristol, Virginia
(http://nckms.org/).  The last one in Texas was in 1989 (New Braunfels).  I
hope to bring it back home in 2021.  But for that I will need some help.

It's not a large conference, only about 150 people or so.  But we still need to
rent a venue, coordinate speakers and publish the Proceedings, plan and run
field trips, host a banquet, find corporate/agency sponsors, set up
Registration, advertise and advertise some more, and handle a hundred other
details.  I'm hosting a meeting at the Texas Speleological Center (14045 North
Green Hills Loop, Austin, TX  78737-8619) at 1 pm on Sunday 8 September for
anyone interested in helping in any way.  What I want to do is to put together
a small organizing committee that will work on this for the next two years, so
that I can take a symposium bid back the the Steering Committee in Bristol in
October.  I realize that several of you are remote, or won't be able to attend
the meeting on such short notice, but are still willing to help in some
fashion.  That's great!  We'll find a spot for you, also.  Guidelines for
hosting the event are on the NCKMS website at http://nckms.org/host-a-symposium.

I'm thinking of having it in the San Marcos area.  We have so many things going
on there:  springs, salamanders, urbanization, bats, nearby show caves,
potential partner organizations --- the list goes on and on.  And it's a heck
of a lot cheaper venue than Austin or San Antonio.  But let's get our heads
together on the 8th and figure this out.

Grab some lunch before you arrive or bring it with you.  The meeting may take
2-3 hours.  I'll have a whiteboard, and record our ideas somehow.  Bring your
suggestions, your enthusiasm, and (most of all) yourselves.

Jim "Crash" Kennedy
NCKMS Steering Committee Chair
512-663-2287