Sorry; I left an s off of that last link. It should be
<https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/object-groups/mining-lights-and-hats/helmets>.

Mark

From: Mark Minton [mailto:mmin...@caver.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 9, 2020 3:40 PM
To: 'texascavers@texascavers.com'
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] Hard Hats

My first helmet was an MSA Comfo-Cap fiberglass miner’s helmet (1968). I also
remember people wearing those old motorcycle helmets. No doubt good head
protection but gawdawful hot, heavy and bulky. I never went that route. I did
use an orange MSR plastic helmet for a while, but the narrow brim all the way
around the perimeter made it too wide for tight spots. Ultimates and the
similar Joe Brown helmets were good, but also too hot.

Another brief description of helmet history is at
<https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/object-groups/mining-lights-and-hats/helmet>.

Mark Minton

mmin...@caver.net