The miners and engineers at the salt dome I worked at on Weeks Island in
Louisiana would beg to differ on the no fluid flow and permeability line of
thought. Morton salt has or had (1978) a large salt mine there and leaks
would increase  in size and flow at an alarming rate and had to be plugged
ASAP. I would suspect that maybe before a huge man made cavity 1200' down
was made there that the problem wasn't an issue and the weight and
plasticity of the salt keep it in one gigantic piece. This was on the coast
of very wet Louisiana and not the drier New Mexican desert.so that probably
made the difference. It was a very interesting project, my brother was the
surveyor that had to lay out the 30' diameter main shaft and the helical
shat that they could drive equipment up and down into the mine. He started
the helical shaft at the top and bottom at the same time and when they met
the walls came out only a few inches apart ! This was before GPS, he no
doubt  had several years of disturbed sleep checking and rechecking his
math. The shaft was 1200' deep.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>