Great photo, thanks! Word around PBSS was that NSS wouldn’t use this (or
similar) for a cover because of the proximity of Walter’s shoes to the pool’s
rim.

Walter was an stalwart member of PBSS. I met him the year PBSS hosted Spring
Convention at the Caverns of Sonora (2001?) and I joined PBSS shortly
thereafter. Walter was Treasurer and/or Secretary for the whole time I was in
Texas and was the editor of the Hole News for many years. He was the keeper of
the Caverns Restoration 5 gallon buckets and his breakfast tacos were an event
unto themselves. He worked on the Fort Stanton survey. He was fun to cave and
camp with and had just enough curmudgeon in him to keep us all on our toes.

Rest in Peace, dear man.

J. LaRue Thomas
jlrtho...@verizon.net