Speaking of Nevin’s electronics, his last major invention for caving (as far as
I know) was a system to detect airflow connections between caves. This was like
a very sophisticated “stink bomb” experiment, the air equivalent of a dye
trace. At one entrance, a fan would be set up that would automatically reverse
direction every few minutes. At another entrance he set up an extremely
sensitive ultrasonic anemometer that he designed and built. Each device was
connected to a data logger that recorded the timing. If the two caves were
connected, the anemometer would record a square wave of airflow, reversing at
exactly the same rate as the fan. There’s no way that could happen naturally.

We used this system several times in the Burnsville Cove (Butler Cave area) in
Virginia and found some interesting air connections. Some of those connections
were not obvious and didn’t need to be passable, as long as the air could move
through, just as for a dye trace with water. It worked really well, the only
limitation being that the entrances had to be confined enough to direct the
airflow in and out. This was easiest if the entrance was gated, but could also
be accomplished with tarps.

Mark Minton

mmin...@caver.net