LiDAR for that area is recently available so if there is a significant surface
feature associated with this cave it may be located thru that. Send me coords
AGG

From: "George Veni" <gv...@nckri.org>
To: "texascavers" <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 12:24:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] looking for cave near Langtry

John and Terry,

Curiosity got me digging.

John, there was no cave in the Texas Speleological Survey database that matched
your information. There is now. I’ve plugged your information into the database
at a location that might be the site of an old homestead but really needs
someone to check the county property records to confirm where the Walter Babb
Ranch headquarters was precisely located (although during my digging I found a
1953 El Paso newspaper article where Babb was allegedly caught stealing
cattle).

Terry, Fielder Canyon Cave is in the TSS database, but not in Texas. Several
Texas caves and karst features without location information are assigned the
same set of default coordinates in southeast New Mexico. Once location
information is available, they are relocated back into Texas. Using the
information you sent, I moved the cave into Texas to coordinates that are
probably accurate to within about 1,500 m.

George

********************

George Veni, PhD

Executive Director, National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI)

and

President, International Union of Speleology (UIS)

NCKRI address (primary)

400-1 Cascades Avenue

Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220 USA

Office: +575-887-5517