You may be able to equal the results of the Disto-X2 with the new BRIC4, yet
find it more useful because you don’t have to worry about the BRIC4 dying when
it is accidentally dropped into a pool of water. See Aaron Bird’s evaluation
(from the 2021 NSS Convention) of the BRIC4 as a cave survey device (he
compares it to the Disto-X2).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCi35qMwDQI

I’ve found the BRIC4 is relatively easy to calibrate compared to the Disto-X2,
but it needs to be re-calibrated when you move to different locations due to
local magnetic field changes. Fortunately it tells you (through it’s error
message code) that’s the problem, and re-calibration is done internally on the
device so you can do it prior to a day of cave survey.

https://ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/calculators/magcalc.shtml?#declination

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Departments of Biophysics and Biochemistry
UT Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu<mailto:diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu>
(214) 645-6383 (phone)
(214) 645-6353 (fax)

On Feb 10, 2022, at 5:17 PM, Mark Minton