On my machine the problem is due to the x11.m4 script which propagates
erroneously X11 related flags even in configurations (like mine) where x11 is
not present. This causes many subsequent tests to fail. I think one has to get
x11.m4 right. Current SVN does not fix the issue for me : it does for iconv but
then configure fails elsewhere for the same problem, it tries to link a test
file with -lXext which does not exists on my machineā€¦

Max