The only thing I know that stops the cursor moving inside a tag is that the
macro has an if-then-else clause in it.

If so, this can be overcome by removing the if clause and replacing with
compound call to a macro whose name is computed from the value of the
original if clause.

If you don't understand this, then try to simplify the macro as a test case
to see if you can then enter the tag.

If that works, then I can help construct an alternative macro that works
too.

Sam