*
* *This is Nandans chronicles  I*
* *
*Poor guy     Can you imagine somebody jumping from Infosys to G O I
?????????   He needs all the luck and all the patiences.*
* *
*

*

*From an INFOSCION to a POLITICION - Nandan's Chronicles - 1 *
*
------------------------------
*

*Infosys co-founder Nandan Nilekani will take charge as the chairperson of
the Unique Identification Authority of India (UDAI) project next week. That
is when he will move into his new office. (Currently, he is sitting in the
Planning Commission office, a Business Standard report said today). One
can’t help but think of an imaginary scenario of his first day in the new
office. Here it goes.

Morning, 10 AM sharp. Nandan Nilekani enters his new cabin. There is not
much in the room except a plush chair, a large wooden desk with a computer
and a phone neatly placed on top. He picks up the phone and dials the
switchboard operator’s number.

Nilekani: Good morning. This is Nandan Nilekani. Can you send in someone who
can help me with some information, please?

Operator: Good Morning sir. Whom do you wish to call in? Do you have someone
in particular in mind?

Nilekani: Umm. Have I been given an assistant or a secretary?

Operator: We don’t employ assistants here, sir. Too little outlay.
Secretaries we have many. Chief secretary, under secretary, joint…

Nilekani: …No, no. Not that kind. I meant someone who could help me get
things rolling.

Operator: Okay. Let me see. Well, I think I know just the right person for
the task. I am sending in our secretary a-la-carte, Mr Pandeyji.

Several hours later, Pandeyji walks in.

Nilekani: [After exchanging the usual pleasantries] Pandeyji, one of our
immediate big tasks would be to see how we could integrate our unique ID
database with other relevant databases like those of passports, ration
cards, job cards and PAN. Do we have an upgraded IT system here?

Pandeyji: Integration not possible. We need new licenses from Oracle,
Microsoft. We don’t have much money with us. Too little outlay.

Nilekani: Alright. We will use Open Source.

Pandeyji: [Alarmed] Open source? Across all departments, we have banned
everything that has anything “Open” in it.

Nilekani: When did that happen?

Pandeyji: Ever since the Open General Licence scheme came into force. It
wreaked havoc on our personal, er, public finances.

Nilekani: Alright. I will talk to Paul. He is a good friend. I am sure he
will be able to help. This is in the interest of the people, after all.

Pandeyji: But, sir, Paul was robbed two weeks ago.

Nilekani: [Shocked] Where? How?

Pandeyji: Shortly after the Union Budget speech. I heard an analyst say that
the government is robbing Paul to pay Peter. Sirjee, when the government is
done with Paul, he won’t be in a position to help.

Nilekani: [Relieved] No, no, I was talking about Paul Allen, Microsoft’s
co-founder. By the way, “Robbing Paul to pay Peter” is not the correct
expression. It is the other way round.

Pandeyji: Sir, you are duly advised not to lose sweat over improper forms of
expression around here. Did you not hear the honourable finance minister
read out the Budget?

Nilekani: [Ignoring the last comment] By the way, why do I see so few people
in this building? Are we not sufficiently staffed yet? I think I gave my
recommendations some time back.

Pandeyji: Actually, we were, but most officers have applied to other
ministries or departments for transfers. Some have even moved out.

Nilekani: [Concerned] Why?

Pandeyji: Our project was allocated Rs 120 crore in the Budget. On the other
hand, the Delhi Police got Rs 3,000 crore, the National Ganga Project got Rs
562 crore. You see sir, the greater the mess, the bigger the outlay.
Officers feel there is a slim chance you will be messing things up around
here, seeing your track record. So most officers want out.

Nilekani: [Animated] Forget the outlay. I have been given a free hand!!
Nobody gets a free hand!

Pandeyji: [Smirking] Good you mentioned that term. In fact, “free hand” is
among the first few terms of which I need to explain the official meanings
to you, tomorrow.
Nilekani: Hmm. I think I know the meaning already, but why tomorrow? Why not
today?

Pandeyji: It’s 2 minutes to 5:30 PM. When the clock strikes 5:30, I am going
to turn into a pumpkin. Is there something else I can help you with?

Nilekani: Not really. Is there something else you want to help me with,
before you turn into a pumpkin?

Pandeyji: Arrey haan. I have read your book, Imagining India. I like it a
lot. Actually, I have thought of a nice title you can use for the book’s
sequel.

Nilekani: [Intrigued] And what could that be?

Pandeyji: Keep Imagining, India.

Nilekani casts an impatient glance at his watch. The minute hand looks
agonisingly sluggish. *








-- 
"It takes years to build a reputation and minutes to ruin it. If you think
about that, you'll do things differently" - Warren Buffett

Vanakkam Subbu

Reply via email to