Pokhran II was a success, insists Naval chief
*[image: Sureesh mehta]*
Senior DRDO scientist K. Santhanam on Thursday reiterated that there was no
question about backing away from his assertion that the 1998 Pokhran II
nuclear tests were not fully successful, while the Chief of Naval Staff,
Admiral Sureesh Mehta, said the tests conducted eleven years ago were
adequate.
 Santhanam emphatically said that he stood by what he had said.
Admiral Mehta, who was addressing his farewell press conference in the
capital on Thursday afternoon, said: “The tests were adequate. We believe
whatever the scientists tell us. The scientists said the tests were enough
and tested. We believe the scientists, as they provide us with nuclear
capability.”
 Admiral Mehta’s statement came even as the defence ministry and former
National Security Adviser Brajesh Mishra dismissed Santhanam’s statement,
adding that India has a meaningful number of nuclear weapons and an
effective delivery system to go with it.
 Sources in the ministry told a television channel that India has a nuclear
deterrent that is adequate for its security.
 Santhanam, who was director for 1998 test site preparations and worked
directly under Dr APJ Abdul Kalam when he was the scientific adviser to the
then Defence Minister, told a daily in an interview that the yield of
thermonuclear explosions was actually much below expectations and the tests
were perhaps more a fizzle rather than a big bang.
 In nuclear parlance, a test is described as a fizzle when it fails to meet
the desired yield.
Santhanam said the yield for the thermonuclear test, or hydrogen bomb in
popular usage, was much lower than what was claimed. Santhanam also said
that given this fact, India should not rush into signing the CTBT.
*Comment*
**
*Truth, anyone?**By: Vivek Joseph | Thursday , 27 Aug '09 14:47:51 PM*

Even western countries are able to measure and study our most vital
'secrets' far more accurately than we are. What a shameful predicament! And
what do we gain by lying about this? Maybe some extra perspiration from
across the border? What good does that do? Yet another demonstration of the
fact that if India is seeking superpower status in the near future, it is
simply fooling itself silly. Considering the current state of the country
and its citizens, that won't happen for the next 100 years.