*The rum guzzlers : THE TRIBUNE
**by Rachna Singh*

*A*S an Army child I was quite accustomed to staying in never-heard- of
places. One such place was Bengdubi in West Bengal. When my father was
posted to Bengdubi it did not even have its own train station. We had to
alight at Jalpaiguri and then make our way by road to Bengdubi.

We first arrived in Jalpaiguri one cold December morning and were ritually
picked up at the station by a captain and ushered into the ubiquitous
one-tonne (a small army truck) for our journey to Bengdubi. Soon, we had
left the small town of Jalpaiguri behind and were moving through a thickly
forested area.

As we moved through the forest, I thought I spied a huge grey hump behind a
distant clump of bamboo trees. Seeing my interest, the captain accompanying
us informed me that it was nothing but a ‘Rum-guzzler’. Seeing my total
incomprehension he twinkled: “This is what we call elephants here as they
have a great fondness for rum and can smell it from miles away”. My
skeptical look elicited a complacent “you will see” from the captain.

In the bustle of shifting to a new place I soon forgot this conversation.
Then arrived the day when my father was to be formally ‘dined-in’ at the
officers mess. We were ushered to the dimly lit lawns as soon as we arrived.
The bar was set out at the far end of the lawn. Suddenly, in the middle of
the party bonhomie, I heard a shout “rum-guzzlers aa gaye”. Before I could
spy the gatecrashers, the entire entourage, with practiced agility retreated
to the mess lounge and positioned themselves before the bay windows.

Intrigued, I squeezed myself into a crevice near one of the windows and
peered outside. Nothing. And then I saw them as they materialised out of the
dark, ‘them’ being two mammoth elephants walking through the gates of the
officers mess with a stately sway.

As I watched spell-bound the duo stopped, lifted their trunks and delicately
sniffed the air. They moved their heads as if in confirmation and
purposefully headed towards the bar. Then with an enviable delicacy they
curled their trunks around the bottles of rum on the bar counter and tapped
them on the ground till the bottle broke and made a ‘rum-puddle.’ Using
their trunks they guzzled down the liquor and continued till the bar counter
was empty of all bottles. Then they beat an unsteady retreat and disappeared
into the darkness.

The spectacle was something out of a Ripley’s ‘Believe it or not’. The image
of the rum-guzzlers has stayed with me and even after three decades brings a
reminiscent smile to my lips.

Reply via email to