Subject: FW: Acumen 

 
 

________________________________

 
 
StrategyConsulting HRConsulting ProcessConsulting  
 
The Three Brothers…
Some years ago, three brothers left the farm to work in the city. They were all 
hired by the same company at the same pay. Three years later, Jim was being 
paid $500 a month, Frank was receiving $1,000, but George was now making $1,500.
Their father decided to visit the employer. He listened to the confused father 
and said, "I will let the boys explain for themselves."
Jim was summoned to the supervisor's office and was told:
"Jim, I understand the Far East Importers has just brought in a large transport 
plane loaded with Japanese import goods. Will you please go over to the airport 
and get a cargo inventory?"
Three minutes later, Jim returned to the office. "The cargo was one thousand 
bolts of Japanese silk," Jim reported. "I got the information over the 
telephone from a member of the crew."
When Jim left, Frank, the $1,000 a month brother, was called. "Frank," said the 
supervisor, "I wish you'd go out to the airport and get an inventory of the 
cargo plane which was just brought in by Far East Importers."
An hour later, Frank was back in the office with a list showing that the plane 
carried 1,000 bolts of Japanese silk, 500 transistor radios, and 1,000 
hand-painted bamboo trays. George, the $1,500 a month brother, was given 
identical instructions. Working hours were over when he finally returned.
"The transport plane carried one thousand bolts of Japanese silk," he began. 
"It was on sale at sixty dollars a bolt, so I took a two-day option on the 
whole lot. I have wired a designer in New York offering the silk at 
seventy-five dollars a bolt. I expect to have the order tomorrow. I also found 
five hundred transistor radios, which I sold over the telephone at a profit of 
$2.30 each. There were a thousand bamboo trays, but they were of poor quality, 
so I didn't try to do anything with them."
When George left the office, the employer smiled. "You probably noticed," he 
said, "that Jim doesn't do what he's told, Frank does only what he'd told, but 
George does without being told."
~ Author Unknown 
==========
“The future is full of promise for one who shows initiative.”
Author Unknown 
==========

<<image001.jpg>>

Reply via email to