Subject: Fw: Sardar Khushwant Singh on CWG








 

THIS ABOVE ALL We can’t afford Games ~~ Khushwant Singh 

  I first met Suresh Kalmadi in 1980, and took an immediate liking to him. Both 
of us entered the Rajya Sabha that year. I, a nominee of the Congress; he 
elected from Maharashtra. I heard his maiden speech and was enthralled. I felt 
he had the making of an all-India leader. I wrote a favourable account on his 
speech, and went out of my way to befriend him. He responded to my gesture, and 
we visited each other’s homes.
His wife, a school teacher, was a shy lady. Twice I met Sharad Pawar, who 
stayed 
with them. I concluded he was Pawar’s protege. All I knew of Kalmadi’s 
background was that he had taken premature retirement from the Air Force, and 
the family owned a restaurant and landed property in Pune, till Sharad Pawar 
brought him into politics.
I did not suspect he suffered from a sense of financial insecurity till he 
celebrated acquiring a Maruti sales agency in Pune by throwing a lavish 
reception on the lawns of his parliamentary bungalow. It was lit up with 
coloured lights; liquor flowed, and tasty snacks went round. I was 
disillusioned, and cooled off him.


Squandering hundreds of crores of rupees on building stadia, swimming pools and 
squash and tennis courts is an act of folly Photo: AFP
About the Commonwealth Games, I know very little. I go along with Mani Shankar 
Aiyar, and am convinced they should not have been undertaken in a city which 
teems with thousands of beggars — a few at every road crossing — where the only 
shelter the poor find in Delhi’s bitter winters and monsoon rains are footpaths 
and under overbridges. They don’t get even a square meal a day. Squandering 
hundreds of crores of rupees on building stadia, swimming pools, squash and 
tennis courts, and much else, is an act of extreme folly.It should never have 
been allowed. Suresh Kalmadi played the star role in the comic-tragic drama. I 
cannot help adding a few film songs, KJS Ahluwalia of Amritsar sent me, which 
go 
very well as background with the movie to be called Games Tamasha:
Suresh Kalmadi — Kutchh to log kaheingae;
Shiela Dixit — Kahin daag na lag jayey;
M.S. Gill — Kabhi khud pe kabhi haalaat pey rona aayaa;
S. Jaipal Reddy — Yeh kya hua, kaisey hua, kyon hua;
Tejinder Khanna — Merey tutey huay dil say, koi toh aaj yeh puchhey;
Mani Shankar Aiyar — Chal akela, chal akela, chal akela, tera mela peechey 
choota;
Delhites — Jab dil hi toot gaya, hum jee key kya kareingey;
Manmohan Singh — Sub kutch seekha hum ney, naa seekhi hoshiari, sach hai 
duniyan 
walo, ke hum hain anari 

<<attachment: ATT00001>>

<<attachment: ATT00002>>

Reply via email to