Good morning,

i for one never take a roller-coaster ride as i generally feel drunk due to 
vertigo and enjoy the dizziness. While others spend on drugs to get that 
feeling i buy medicine to get rid of it. As such i never could enjoy any joy 
ride. So got shocked when i read the news that a roller-coaster ride cured 
somebody of a long lasting tumor. If you don't believe please read 
on.Inscrutable are the ways of God. 
A rollercoaster saved my life: Girl diagnosed with huge brain tumour makes 
miraculous recovery after going on white-knuckle ride
Amazed medics say Emma Bassett only survived as long as she had because of ride 
which had re-distributed fluid causing dangerous pressure on her skull
Life or death ride: Doctors told Emma riding the rollercoasters saved her life
Caters
A student who was hours from death when she was diagnosed with a huge brain 
tumour has stunned doctors by making an incredible recovery.
Emma Bassett was horrified when she was diagnosed with a deadly brain tumour - 
and amazed medics explained that she'd only survived as long as she had because 
of a rollercoaster ride - which had re-distributed fluid causing dangerous 
pressure on her skull.
Doctors feared the tumour, the size of a satsuma, had been silently growing in 
the core of Emma's brain for almost seven years - and was so advanced it was on 
the brink of killing her.
Devastatingly, they warned Emma that the operation needed to save her life 
could leave her in a vegetative state, and requiring round-the-clock 
care.Rehabilitation: After her operation Emma had to learn to walk, talk and 
eat again
Caters 
But incredibly, seven years after the operation that she believed would end her 
quality of life, Emma, from Twickenham, London, has stunned doctors by making a 
miraculous recovery.
She had to learn how to walk, talk and even eat again - but with the support of 
her family, her long road to recovery is finally over, and the student is now 
looking forward to spending a summer teaching at Camp America.
Brave Emma, 20, has now teamed up with the Samantha Dickson Brain Tumour Trust, 
and is championing their HeadSmart campaign - which aims to raise awareness of 
how to spot the early signs of a brain tumour.
Emma, who now studies Primary Teaching at St Mary's University, said: "It was 
such a shock to discover I'd had this tumour growing inside me, probably for 
years, without me knowing anything about it.
"I'm incredibly fortunate that I managed to make a good recovery after my 
operations.
"The doctors told my parents that I would need 24 hour care, and I'd probably 
be in a dependent state after the operation, because the tumour was wrapped 
about my brain stem, and the surgeons thought removing it would cause 
irreparable damage.
"After the operation, I couldn't walk, talk, or even feed myself. But I was 
determined I'd walk again and beat the tumour.
"It has taken years of hard work, but now, I'm finally able to do the things 
I've always wanted to and live the life I've always wanted to lead.
"At my latest scan, there was no sign of the tumour returning either, so it's 
great news."Emma's tumour was first diagnosed when she was 12 - after weeks of 
suffering bad headaches and dizziness
Caters
Emma's tumour was first diagnosed when she was 12 - after weeks of suffering 
bad headaches and dizziness.
Her worried mum, Gina, took her to an optician - who referred her for further 
eye tests at the hospital six weeks later.
But specialists at St George's Hospital, Tooting, were horrified when they 
realised the cause of her problems was a tumour was so big it was stopping 
vital fluid moving around Emma's brain - leaving her with just hours to live. 
And they explained that Emma has only survived until now thanks to a roller 
coaster ride she'd been on two weeks earlier - which had briefly redistributed 
fluid on her brain, buying her a precious few extra days.
Emma recalled: "I had been getting really bad headaches, and being sick, as 
well as feeling dizzy, but my parents put it down to me being nervous about 
starting secondary school.
"It was only when my balance got really bad mum took me to the opticians, as we 
thought I might need glasses.
"But the optician told us to go straight to hospital - and the doctors who saw 
me there were really worried.
"I went to hospital on Wednesday, and the doctors told me that I would have 
been dead by Friday if I hadn't got help.
"They showed me a scan of my brain and the tumour was enormous. I told them I'd 
been to Thorpe Park and on all the rollercoasters with my friends, and they 
said that had saved my life.
"I had my first operation the very next day, which left me with a shunt coming 
out of my head, to drain away fluid.
"I was in such shock when I found out what was wrong with me. I was worried, 
but everything happened so quickly I didn't have time to be 
frightened."Life-saver: Emma had been to Thorpe Park for the day with 
friends.....
Rex and had been on a series of rollercoasters which docs say redistributed 
fluid causing dangerous pressure on her skull
Getty
Doctors told Emma's devastated parents their daughter would need two further 
operations on the tumour, that may leave her severely disabled.
Medics believed the damage caused by removing the tumour might leave her in a 
vegetative state, and doubted she'd ever be able to live a normal life - but 
slowly, Emma has made an incredible recovery and defied their predictions.
She spent a year with her leg in a splint, and then a further two years walking 
with a crutch - and still had to have special insoles in her shoes to support 
her walking.
Now, the only sign of her brave battle is a slight paralysis on the left side 
of her face. Emma said: "I have had so much hydrotherapy, physiotherapy and 
speech therapy to get me where I am today.
"The doctors thought I might make slight improvements after my operation, but 
they have since told me they never expected me to come anywhere near as far as 
I have.
"I certainly don't think they expected to see me at university and walking 
around. "It's taken a lot of determination and hard work, but I'm really proud 
of how far I've managed to come, and hope that my story can help someone else 
spot the signs of a brain tumour before it's too late.
"When I look back, I realise that I had all the classic brain tumour symptoms - 
but nobody, including a family member who is a nurse, spotted them.
"Hopefully, I can help other people aware of those early warning signs through 
the HeadSmart campaign."

Reply via email to