Apr 24 2016 : The Times of India (Delhi)

FOR THE RECORD -

Americans pay a pittance for Indian food as it has low culinary prestige

Why are New Yorkers more willing to spend twice as much on French food than
Indian?
Turns out, their attitudes are not so much swayed by spice, but by popular
perceptions of a cuisine's ethnicity and associated class, suggests
Krishnendu Ray, the chair of the department of Nutrition and Food Studies
at New York University, in his new book The Ethnic Restaurateur. He tells
Joeanna Rebello why we're at the near bottom of New York's food chain

>From political science at DU, to food and nutrition at NYU...when and how
did you detour?

I came to the US in 1988 to work on questions of development but was
waylaid by nostalgia, which expressed itself through food. I realized that
I had to cook Indian food if I were to eat it. Which led to the even
starker realization that not only did I not know how to cook, but as a good
Indian middle class male, I had never given it a thought. That and the
inadvertent running into three books, Laura Shapiro's Perfection Salad,
Harvey Levenstein's Revolution at the Table and Jack Goody's Cooking,
Cuisine and Class made me realize that I had an opportunity to think
seriously about what is good to eat. What was going to be new about my work
was that most of the writing on food had been done with attention to
cultural roots with relatively little on change and how immigration
influences our choices.

In your comparative price rankings (of 14 popular cuisines reviewed in the
Zagat New York restaurant guides in 1986 and 2014), In dian food has fallen
from 8 to 9. What does this demotion tell you?

I make the argument that culinary prestige has a lot to do with class,
race, and nation.

Most Indian restaurants in the US, and in New York City, are run by
Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and some Indians who are neither very rich, nor
fluently Anglo phone, nor highly credentialed, which creates the
contamination effect for main stream, middle-class, Americans. Like Mexican
or Chinese food, most Americans refuse to pay more than a pittance for
Indian food, which cannot buy the skilled labour, the good ingredients or
the decor to create an upscale place. Of say the 350 or so Indian
restaurants in NYC, only a dozen are upscale. That was the fate of Italian
and Greek food too until immigration from the Mediterranean dried to a
trickle and there was upward mobility of third-generation Italians and
Greeks. Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Soul... are all stuck at the bottom. That
will change when the source of immigration of poor people to America
changes. I see that happening to new-style Chinese food such as at Jonathan
Wu's Fung Tu.Similarly , better credentialed Indian chefs and entrepreneurs
like Floyd Cardoz, Hemant Mathur, Surbhi Sahani, Suvir Saran, Sanjeev
Kapoor, Jehangir Mehta, among others, are straining to upscale American
notions of Indian food. There is an opening there because more than half of
Indian immigrants to the US are entering engineering, management, medicine
and the academy . So clever interpretations like the restaurant Babu Ji (in
NYC) are playing to those possibilities.

Can you give us examples of how the improved social status of a country has
made its food more coveted?

Americans were full of disdain for Japanese culture, especially food,
almost into the 1980s when the rise of Japan and contact with Japanese
managers completely transformed American posture towards sushi that
American elites had both disdained and were unable to appreciate.

Why is haute cuisine such a male-dominated world?

On every Western top chefs list, it's still mostly men, who rarely do the
everyday cooking at home. That is women's work, poor people's work, which
is why the modern world of chefs is so masculine, and so white. That is not
a coincidence, but constitutive of the process of professionalization of a
field. Women and people of colour will eventually break into the field too
but not in my lifetime, I think.

Food studies is a growing discipline in America and Europe. Why not in
India?

There is a long tradition of anthropological studies of the food ways of
the poor, the rural, the marginal, and the non-literate.

What is new with food studies is the attention to urban, literate,
non-poor, at the centre of our systems. Sociologist Amita Baviskar is doing
fascinating work in that domain -see her work on Maggi and the Indian
working class. There are new PhDs being written in Delhi School of
Economics -on sweetmeat makers for instance -that is going to open up that
part of the field.
<http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Article.aspx?eid=31808&articlexml=FOR-THE-RECORD-Americans-pay-a-pittance-for-24042016020013#>

--
With best wishes