The Museum of Croydon does boast a model aircraft hanging from the ceiling
to represent Croydon Airport and its importance in the local area in the
1920s and 30s. The model is that of Imperial Airways Handley Page (HP) 42
*Hengist.* These aircraft (HP 42) would have been seen regularly flying to
and from Croydon Airport on the European (or West) route and the African
and Indian (or East) routes for Imperial Airways Limited.

The following note by Debbie Challis makes an interesting reading.
<http://croydonairportcalling.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/flight-travel-necessities-1930s-style.html>

Flight Travel Necessities 1930s Style
<http://croydonairportcalling.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/flight-travel-necessities-1930s-style.html>

<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-b_1ykTczWOU/VqjBEoe5J5I/AAAAAAAAAeI/gZs24B9P10k/s1600/IMG_1186.JPG>
On long-haul flights today passengers often get 'amenity kits', usually
containing things like an eye mask, toothbrush and paste, socks, a
freshening up wipe and blanket. This is not a recent phenomenon. When I was
repacking some of our Imperial Airways archives on Mondays, I found the
objects on the left all packaged together in what seems to be an 'amenities
kit' from the 1930s.

The packet appears to be a flannel still in its wrappings. In addition
there is a luggage tag, matches (smoking was only banned on most UK flights
in the mid 1990s), a pencil, lavender smelling tubes from 'Boots', and eau
de cologne. An insight in to what the passengers below on an Imperial
Airways HP-42 (Hengist) would have had when flying? In fact, you can see a
few of the passengers smoking, so the matches would have been useful!

<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-p5GxR5Qr9oU/VqjBEXGdGVI/AAAAAAAAAeU/mX3tLVDUeGg/s1600/Hengist_HP42Interior_1051_08_2_14_40.jpg>

--
With best wishes

S Chander