How India's Post Office Bottles Its Ganga Water

Source
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/This-is-how-the-Gangajal-is-bottled/articleshow/53472027.cms>

NEW DELHI. INDIA, July 31, 2016 (Times of India): Please remove your shoes
before entering the room, comes the unusual request from a senior official
at the Rail Mail Service (RMS) Bhawan near Delhi's Kashmere Gate. The room
in question was unremarkable until recently, when it became a reliquary for
bottled Ganga. The river's water has seemingly sanctified an otherwise
utilitarian space whose contents have thus far been courier packages and
daily mail.

Just weeks after Union minister Ravi Shankar Prasad promised to have Ganga
water delivered to people's doorsteps via the Indian postal service, the
scheme has become a hit not just in the national capital, but also in other
states like Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Uttarakhand, Jharkhand,
Chhattisgarh, Bihar, and Uttar Pradesh. It is the first end-to-end product
operation handled by India Post. Since the day of its inception in the
first week of July, the RMS Bhawan has dispatched over 49,000 bottles to 22
postal circles in the country.

"It is a very systematic procedure. Mussoorie Express gets the water from
the Ganga in Rishikesh, and at times from Gangotri. Around 7-8 people from
the Rishikesh post office collect the water directly from the river. They
send it to us in cans with a capacity of 20 litres each. Overnight, the
train reaches New Delhi. Our men go and collect it early morning and bring
it to RMS Bhawan," adds the official. Once it reaches RMS Bhawan, the water
is treated in two rooms, cleared of sediment, and then packaged. "You can
drink it of course, it is holy after all. But we want to make sure that
there are no unwanted particles, like soil or little stones, in it. It
comes straight from the river which is why we filter it properly," says the
official.

--
With best wishes

S Chander