AARTHHI (GREED) Dearfriends,
RecentlyI had been staying in a hotel at Ernakulam Reason- Along with a betrothalfunction my family had planned a few temple visits and for convenience oftravel and stay the hotel stay was more suited. The morning buffet was free as part of roomrent. Complimentary breakfast. On thefirst day when we reported at 9.15 AM, the counter staff intimated us with asmile- We would close the buffet at 10 AM. After keeping things, first you can have buffet.Since already brushing of teeth was done in train, we just washed the face andcame down after keeping our bags. Selectiveitems were there in buffet and if anything else was required it was charged. Inthe general items there was banana boiled, and Puttu or Idiappam withKadlakkari which I favoured much. And very good iddali with pure coconut chatniin semi solid form. There were also cut fruits. Seeing afew cut bananas only in the vessel and breakfast time too about to be over I took 4 PIECES from themwhich were BIGGER and two pieces of Puttu. I was not foranything else since I knew some what the limit of my stomach. Stillseeing the four banana pieces in my plate almost exhausting the container with fouror five small pieces left out my wife was about to comment on the quantity ofbanana boiled I had taken. My daughter interfered and said- Appa has taken for all of us. Isnot it so appa? Before Istart answer, another customer simply took all the remaining telling to hisfriend- If at all wasted does not matter. If not taken, last minute there won’t be refilling and wemay desire one or two pieces more and nil would be there… He wascorrect. I too took more similarto his reasoning. If my wife and daughter wanted a few pieces and vesselwould have been like the akshayapathra of Panchali, after her taking food??!! One of the rarest occasion my wife supported/cautionedme- “Appa fromKerala like these more. Tomorrowhe won’t take more. I found my wife taking more cut fruits, butsince she supported me, I kept quiet. Mounam Vidwanu Bhooshanam. Many times I recollect it. Mydaughter was somewhat correct. With one piece of puttu and banana cut, mystomach was almost full. Keeping pacewith them I completed one more banana piece and coffee. My daughterhad already taken two from my plate one for her and another for my wife whichthey relished very much at that time. Today mytopic is aarthhi. Sometimeshurry too may appear as something like aarthhi if not clearly observed. An interesting look in to aarthhi. The taking of four pieces by me or by anothercustomer is also some sort of aarthhi (greed). Sincerely, GopalaKrishnan 27-2-2013. Reposted on 2-2-2020 after editing and updating. R.Gopala Krishnan 1. Aarthhi by nature Some people have more aarthhi by nature andvisible to others. Itneed not be through genes, but can be through genes also. Aarathi need not bein food alone. It can be with anything valuable or invaluable also. But Lifco Tamil dictionary gives the meaning of greed as aarthhi for everything-especially for food and money. Aarthhiis a feeling -more is required than normal. Many times people with aarthhiimpatiently take things for them. It can be in sarees, churidars or other dresses. In Malayalamit is somewhat told as – Aarthhipiticchu Valicchu vari kkootuka”. But aarthhi could subside with repetition in case of even favoritefoods. But again appear after a timewhen there is sudden availability after a break. After consuming pineapple pieces and jack fruitcontinuously for 5 days aarthhi subsides for those who have aarthi on them. 2. Aaarthhi about money. Somepeople are crazy of keeping money. Notto get other’s money. It is their own money. But they want more to be KEPT ASCASH with them. They would not getsleep, unless in the evening itself, using plastic drawing and keeping if ithas gone down by even by one hundred rupees. Recently I read an article about brain. It isnot known why plastic itself could not be felt by them (or by many) as money. Once whenI went to my hospital their swiping line was not working. They asked me to drawmoney and give. Fortunately I had taken my plastic for drawing also. I couldunderstand the value of different types of plastics on that day. If onehas only plastic in hand and ATM supply fresh currency, 99% would draw more than requiredjust for the fresh smell and new currency. Even a single ruppe we wouldnot get for fresh currency. Alternatively95% of banks would give fresh currency as in bundles of 100 in Tamilnadu. They would be reluctant to give change with fresh currency or forsmaller amounts. Either the bank is public sector or private sector, in this case there is no difference. 2. Feast and aarthy. In thefeasts many things are going to be served. Some of the items could be moreliking by many of us. Some people would ask more of certainitems. The stomach has a limit – After that whether they liked or not the remaining hasto be left out. 3. Aarthy with ornaments and decorating items This isseen more with women than men. They go to the shop to purchase within 1000rupees, and come out after purchasing for 3000 rupees, especially if they have plasticwith them. If theygo to a foot wear shop to purchase 2 pairs, while coming out they would surelyhave 4 pairs with them. The foot wear isnot going anywhere next day. Even fashion may get changed- This is also a form of aarthhi.While my wife go out I will intimate the limit under plastic, she can use,clearly knowing she is going to exceed by 50%. 4. Children and aarthhi Childrendo not know how much they can eat. They would be eager to eat many items andcompel parents to order in hotel. If it is in the home, then too we can seethem taking more things to their plate, as if others would consume, and for himthere would less. Thechild does not understand, others will eat only after he is fully fed orkeeping reserve for him later. Result either in hotel or in the house, many thing wasted 1/3rdeaten and remaining in the plate half bitten by them…. 5. Aarthhi in preparation. Manywomen are of the thinking-What others would feel normal quantity prepared isnot sufficient before their thinking. Every time, they at least want 50%more to be prepared and of course remaining wasted mostly. If 30iddalies are maximum required they would prepare 50. I call this feeling alsoas some sort of aarthhi (A feeling not sufficient) it is not for them, but forthe family... 6. Textiles and Jewellery If morequantity is required we can call it desire, and if sufficient and more quantityis there, still it cannot be desire.. This is especially with respect to jewellery than textiles. Another is with number and varieties of vessels. 7. Other items To have anumber of ball point pens (above two dozen), to have bundles of paper in stock,and on men side, having large number of shoes, shirts, and still feeling for more etc. all come ingreed. We aregoing to write in one diary. But still keeping above half a dozen diaries(Purpose is special mental happiness) is also some sort of greed. Why, even desire to have a 4th memorydevice for same item storing if possible, comes under greed than necessity. 8. My cordless mouse. Aboutfour months back, my son in law complimented me with cordless mouse. All thewhile I was using laser type and optical type cord type. Twomonths back I went to my computer shop. I just like that asked whether cordlessmouse is there with him. He answered yes. Seeing it, I purchased it. Last month again I purchased one more alongwith a pen drive.Why I desired to have more? How much money is spent? Is it attraction or aarthhi? I desire reading members may add to my listof aarthi by responding. -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Thatha_Patty" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/432345891.1354135.1612280223094%40mail.yahoo.com.
