MATCH BOX

Dear friends,

Today I found threematch boxes with few sticks in pooja room when I went for
prayer in the morning.I selected the best match box and put all the sticks and
put the spare items industbin. I was busy in the morning. Or else I would have
posted about Match Boxin the morning itself.

Sincerely,

Gopala Krishnan 10-7-2021

1 Welfare committee of temple and rich man.

This incident wastold to me by my friend, and doctor in Pushpagiri Hospital,
Tiruvalla, Kerala.

During 2ndyear of BSc, he got MBBS selection at Banaras Hindu University.

Incident- Once thewelfare committee of the local temple was collecting
donations for the templefestival. They went to a rich man’s home. On reaching
the home, they heard the loudmale voice  advising his wife for usingthree match
sticks, for lighting a lamp, without adjusting wick properly. Ifthe wick was
adjusted properly she would have used only one and saved two matchsticks.

They thought- Foradvising so much for wasting two much sticks, he would give a
small amount asdonation, and one felt better leave the home.

The rich man cameout, saw the welfare committee, invited them and, wrote a
large amount incheque and gave to them.

One could notcontrol his words. He asked, you are giving such an amount as
donation, butadvise wife for wasting two more matchsticks for lighting.

The rich man said- I have become rich saving likethat.  The committee members
becamesilent.

2 Number of Match boxes.

In my boyhood daysmy father would purchase six match boxes for a month. One
would be kept safe,one near the entrance Nilavilakku, another three for kitchen
and lightinglanterns use. Our area had no electric supply even in my college
days. When Iwas in the final year, 1963, electric supply came to our area.
Match box was never asked on loanfrom nearby homes.

I may not be able toread in lantern’s light now.

On those days wehad only two brands of match boxes- Gopuram (Tower) and cheetu
mark (Playing cardmark), the second one had more qualityand lengthier sticks.
Both brands arenot now.

Now mostly insouthern side Cheetta fight brand is available. Provision stores
put as bundle(A dozen) pack in blue covering pack. Loose sales are lesser.

3 Today Matchbox l use.

To light  nilavilakku in morning and evening in poojaroom we use match stick to
light it. Always in the kitchen one or two quality new match boxes are kept.
The gaslighter, any type may fail at  any time. Somatch box is a must to light
burner. If at all a spare lighter is there, stillmatch box is a must.

4. Lamp at Tulasi thara(Tulsi  grown in a raised  area in the home)

Most Hindu homes willlight lamps before Tulsi. Though lighted lamps can be
brought, still many dayswind may blow the lamp. So many bring Lamp and match
box to light it, if flameblow by the window.

5 Use in yester years

Eventwo decades back, smoking was common with men. Though smoking is injurious
tohealth, still people used to smoke. Match box was common with them and
pettyshops selling cigarettes, beedies etc.

6 House warming.

Aninteresting incident . For house warming in the early morning of a rented
flatnear our home, the people failed to bring long with other items match
box.Where to get a match box early morning? One Lady Member got the idea, they
hadbrought gas lamp  lighter for stove,lighted it  and lighted Nilavilakku.
Atimely idea. It was told later by them to us.

7. Sivakasi

Sivakasi(Tamil: [siʋaɡaːsi])is a city in Virudhunagar District in the Indian
state of Tamil Nadu. This townis known for its firecracker, matchbox and
printing industries.

8 Match sticks

99%math sticks are made of soft wood. 5% can be using waxed paper. Earlier
Matchbox and container were also made of softwood. Due to scarcity of wood now
matchboxes are made of thick paper and phosphorus  glass powder  mix for
rubbing is applied to sides in themost ECCONOMIC manner to avoid  wastage .

Thehead of safety matches are made of an oxidizing agent such as potassium
chlorate, mixed with sulphur,fillers and glass powder. The side of the box
contains red phosphorus, binderand powdered glass.

InSivakasi, match stick making is cottage industry.