CHALESWARAM-FORWARD

Thoughts of a 79 year old retired Indian scientist , who isan astrologer, a
translator of prayers and poems and a story teller tochildren.

Friday, January 11, 2019

Reading glasses (vellezhuthu kannadi/kitta parvai kannadi)hawker in USA

By P.R.Ramachander

  Long long back , myfather who used to read  a lot , told methat  he is not
able  to read  because he  has Vellezhuthu. Few   days later there was a temple
festival  in our village. Myfather  took me to the festival  and unusually went
 to the place hawkers  used to sit.One  of them was selling Mooku Kannadi(
spectacles).My father tried a few , chose one ,haggled  with a hawker paid him
tworupees   and brought  a mooku kannadi, From then on , I have always  seen
him wear it. ,   never went to opthomologist  and used tobuy  spectacles  from
hawkers for either  two or three rupees.

Times  rolled by. Icrossed 40 years of age,  and suddenly Iwas  not able to
read. I went toopthomologist and he prescribed me glasses , charged me 40
rupees and sent meto a spectacle  shop , who chargedme  around 200 rs. My
friend  told me that I have  Chaleswaram. When Iblinked  he told me  that when
you are “Chalis oopar” you get this disease. When  I forget the spectacles  or
it gets broken orlost I used  to spend   several hundred rupees(later at least
thousand rupees ) to get a new spectacle.Slowly I started  wearing plastic
lensbut about 5 years back my opthomologist recommended me  to buy a reading
glass for just 200 rupees. Ofcourse I did not.

Recently I forgot my spectacles in a temple. My  son told me that my eye exam
would cost  around 200$  and aspectacle  itself would cost around  another
200$.My son and metravelled 60 km and got back  the  spectacles and  left out
of a sigh of relief.

Today I happened  to goto  “Dollar  central store” and to my surprise “reading
spectacles” of any powerwas available there   for just one Dollar.I recollected
the hawker  who used  to sell spectacles   to my father andpurchased a suitable
one , for emergency and came back. Now  as long as Iam in USA, I need not worry
about loss or breakage  of reading glasses. Ican solve my problem by spending
one dollar