CHIRATTA (COCONUT SHELL)

Today morning I went upstairs forwatering the plants in the mud pots kept in
the front side. After finishing Iwent back side and found the coconuts first
time appeared in two coconut treesare half grown. My thinking went somehow
about coconut shells.

 In the primary class I studiedall parts of the coconut tree are useful to
humans. The use of coconut shell wasmainly for oven use inhome during my
student days.LPG came very late in my home.

I learnt later, the washer menuse the charcoal made out of coconut shell in the
metal iron for pressing. Itgave almost steady heat without much smoke. We could
see on those days basketsfilled with such charcoal ready for using in their
homes.

Seeing  it, in high school days for ironing most of usused to preserve coconut
shells. It was easier to keep a stock of charcoal ofcoconut shells prepared in
a bag. For ironing a small part was burnt and used. Metaliron in brass was
available in vessel shops. Now too in Chennai many street/shopironing people
use charcoal irons.

When charcoal shops opened they keptready coconut shell charcoal separately and
priced little more.

When firewood was  wet or not properly dried, coconut shellsbecame handy for
firewood ovens (virakuaduppu)

At one time before the kerosenestove and LPG stove we had charcoal ovens called
kummatti. In kummatti we used to mix coconut shellcharcoal with other charcoal
rather than using it alone.

In homes after removing thekernel the shell is dried in sun   andused for
ovens.

The shell is used for differentother uses also. One of them is for making
thava. Coconut shell thava was usedduring feasts in the cooking area.
Carpenters used to make the thava and it wasavailable for sale in market.  At
onetime we could get coconut thavas and spoons in handy craft stores.

Though used during feasts in thecooking area,it was notused in the serving area
in Brahmin feasts, if my recollection iscorrect.

Coconut is considered divine andeven considered equivalent to cow. Instead of
Godanam it is common to offer thecoconut with a good amount as danam .Only
thing the sasthrikal himself accepts the godanamwithout exception.

The shell of coconut is used foroffering salt manga neivedyam in the
Sreepadmanabha swamy temple at Trivandrum.Now the shell is covered with gold
leaf is the only difference.

With in the kitchen howeverBrahmin’s  use was lesser of coconutthava.  Of
course for taking liquid jaggery( Pathiyan sarkara) from jar, coconut thava was
used.  Not for regular use.

The milk men commonly use thecoconut thava for handling curd , ghee, butter
etc.

For making moulds for karuppetti,the coconut shell is used now also.

Since Brahmins  use coconut shells for inauspicious rituals we may probably
avoid itin kitchen. Keeping coconut shells in the front of the home is
inauspicious.

There is a saying water in acoconut shell is sea for ants.

Nowadays mostly only electric iron isused in homes, coconut shells are disposed
by putting in dust bin.

Recently I saw a machine in whatsapp which would exactly cut coconut to two
equal halves.

Writer- R. Gopala Krishnan Dated13-09-2021.