Pranam

The theme on 14th sept by G  made SPICY

1   There is nothing to get shocked, about India; and all such are seen
through out the world; I got a shock when I saw the traffic irregularity,
on the streets of New York; Australian driving and over takings surprised
me; Singapore flow of traffic is well regulated but the vehicles may not
have controls, once a small crossing by a small pet does occur; BON express
way of Germany is too good, but the curves go haywire; hence the vehicles
do cause a nightmare; and in India it is a cluster; but people are used to
it also, which I wonder, how?.

2     Where Did the Idli Come From?

    Food historian K.T. Achaya reckons that the idli could have come to
India  around 800-1200 CE from present day Indonesia, a part of which was
then ruled by Hindu kings belonging to the Shailendra, Isyana and Sañjaya
dynasties. In fact, idli is very similar to a preparation called the kedli
there and Indian cooks from the royal household may very well have returned
home with the recipe.

     Achaya also notes that a form of idli known as iddalage is mentioned
in a 920 CE Kannada language work, Vaddaradhane by Shivakotiacharya.
Similar recipes have also been found in later writings, such as the
Sanskrit Manasollasa written by King Someshvara III in 1130 CE which
details a recipe called iddarika. But the three elements of modern idli
making are missing in these references: use of rice grits along with urad
dal, the long fermentation of the mix, and steaming the batter for
fluffiness.

    These origins are debated by food historian Lizzie Collingham who
claims a different origin for the dish. Based on references available at
the Al-Azhar University Library in Cairo, Collingham suggests that Arab
traders in the Southern belt brought in the idli when they married and
settled down.

     According to Encyclopaedia of Food History, edited by her and TV-chef
Gordon Ramsay (Oxford University Press) and Seed to Civilisation -The Story
of Food by Heiser Charles B (Harvard University Press), the Arab settlers
were said to be strict in their dietary preferences and insisted on halaal
(food and drink permissible or lawful in traditional Islamic law) food.
They started to make rice balls as a safe option, to avoid any confusion.
These rice balls would be slightly flattened and eaten with bland coconut
gravy. These rice cakes are said to have tasted quite different from the
idlis we eat today.

      Gujarati historians believe that it was Saurashtrian textile
merchants who introduced idli to *South India during the 10th and 12th
centuries*. There are even claims that a mix of rice and black gram ground
together and later steamed to form cakes had its origins in Gujarat.

      But despite the confusion over its origins, idli is today one of the
most popular preparations in India and over the years has inspired many
variants. *New Delhi: *March 30, 2021,  is been celebrated as World Idli
Day every year. The day was first observed in 2015. It is the brainchild of
Eniyavan, a popular idli-only caterer from Chennai. He made 1,328 varieties
of idlis and a 44-kilogram idli that was cut by a top bureaucrat to declare
March 30 as World Idli Day. The delicious South Indian steamed rice cake is
served with hot sambhar and a variety of mouth-watering chutneys.

      Idlis are very healthy. They are easily digestible and can be eaten
by children and adults of all ages. This is because the fermentation
process breaks down the rice and dal into simple compounds. Fermentation
also introduces good bacteria to the batter.  This makes the dish act as a
probiotic and also help boost immunity. In addition, idlis are rich sources
of nutrients such as phytic acids, vitamin B, vitamin K, iron, and zinc.
However, it has a low level of fats and carbohydrates. This makes it the
ideal food for weight loss. It offers plenty of protein, fiber, and
carbohydrates. In fact, when you consume one single idli, you get two grams
of protein and fiber and eight grams of carbohydrates. It is also filled
with iron content. Plenty of choices  From rava idli, ragi ...

           Have you heard, *bubble tea?  *It is a popular drink which found
its origin in Taiwan around 1980s. It has now gaining popularity the world
over. This unusual name comes due to its ingredients. Bubble tea is also
called pearl milk tea. The ‘Bubbles' refer to the round and jelly-like
Tapioca pearls that are added to the drink. Ice is often blended into this
drink giving it a slushy or smoothie consistency.

3       VEDIC FOOD:   Again I have to go to K T Acharya professor Illinois
southern University researcher on food; he had analysed our vedic foods;”
In the Vedic period, knowledge, prayers, religious songs, and poems were
written, which came to beknown as Vedas. The Vedas are an important class
of religious texts in Indian literature. The four Vedas, namely Rigveda,
Samaveda, Yajurveda, and Atharva veda, *describe different cereal grains
andtheir use in* our daily life. Aryans believed that food was not simply
meant for body nourishment, but was the basic part of a cosmic moral cycle
 Barley (R V opening) became the Aryans' initial staple food, and is also
mentioned in the Rigveda. Later texts mention wheat, lentils, millets, and
sugarcane. The most popular lentils used were red lentils, green lentils,
and black lentils. Apopains a form of cake prepared by frying barley.
Kichadi made from rice together with lentils ordains highly nutritious.
Aryans knew about rice cultivation; parched rice and cereals were a common
method of processing during their period. Lentils and rice were the
combinations of complementary nutritional elements consumed by Aryans. The
literature of Buddhists and Jains reveal the extensive use of rice and its
gruel.

       During the Jain period, cloth was soaked in milk and dried to yield
a reconstituted product called kholas. Traditionally, Indian foods are
classified into three main categories.

1   Cooked vegetables, milk, fresh fruits, and honey are meant for the
truly wise and are considered as Satvika foods.

2   Foods that bring out the lowest, crass qualities of human behaviour
such as meat, liquor, garlic, and spicy and sour foods are classified as
Tamasika foods.

3   Foods that give enough energy to carry out daily work are categorized
as Rajsika foods. (B G Chap 17, & 18 discusses on food 5000 years ago).

     Aryans classified food materials on the basis of their nature and use
such as Sukhadhanya(cereals), Samidhanya (pulses), Phala (fruits), Shakna
(vegatables),Payovarga (milk products), Madhyavarga (alcoholic beverages)
and Mamasavarga (animal products) .Food is specific to season. India has
six different seasons, namely  vasanta ritu(spring),grishma
ritu(summer),varsha ritu(monsoon),sharad ritu(autumn),hemanta ritu(fall
winter), and sishira ritu(winter). Studying and knowing about seasons is
important to make an efficient diet plan for an individual.

       Beginning with Yajurveda, the three pulses urad (Vigna mungo), mung
(Vigna radiata), and masoor (Lens culinaris) were the most commonly used
grain legumes. All grains have good calorific value, largely from starch
and proteins. Some of the grains exhibit antinutritional properties such as
the presence of trypsin inhibitors. Traditional pro-cessing techniques such
as fermentation, soaking, and cooking help to remove these antinutritional
factors. In view of health, resistant starch received attention because of
its potential health benefits and functional properties. Many traditional
Indian grain products may contain higher amounts of resistant starches
because of higher proportions of whole grain ingredients and less intensive
processing. Some of the traditional grain-based health foods with their
functional and health benefits are discussed below.

   2.1. Idli   Idliis a fermented product prepared from rice and black gram
batter by steam cooking .Idliis a white coloured, small, round, and spongy
product. In 1485 and 1600 CE, idli was compared to the moon, which suggests
that rice was in use. Use of rice along with pulses is necessary as a
source of mixed natural microflora needed for efficient fermentation. Black
gram (Phaseolus mungo.L.) is the primary ingredient having natural
fermentation micro-flora and acts as the substrate for the fermentation of
batter. Sour buttermilk is also used as a source of microorganisms. Black
gram and rice are used in the ratio of 1:2 during batter preparation.

4     GREEN CHILLI AND China:   Well, it is not as though all European
cuisine is chilli-free. When Indians say ‘chilli’, we think of the hot red
chilli that is a distinctive feature of our cuisine. But the chilli family
is vast (there may be thousands of varieties) so it extends far beyond the
red chilli. The Hungarians are proud of the paprika, the chilli that is the
mark of their cuisine. The Spanish love chillies. The Pimiento de Padrón –
a bright-green chilli from the town of Padrón in Northeast Spain – has
travelled around the world in recent decades as part of the global tapas
craze.   The famous paprika of Hungary is really an Indian chilli and is
closely related to the Kashmiri mirch. In Indian food (if it is done
right!) the chilli is just one of the many flavouring ingredients. All of
our other spices are native to India. Centuries ago, we were especially
proud of our pepper. Not only did it provide the heat in Indian cuisine, it
was so popular in Europe that we would export it to Rome, Venice and other
European trading centres where it fetched an enormous premium.   When
Christopher
Columbus set sail, he was not looking for America, but for India and its
spices. When he landed in what we now know was South America, he was so
confused that he called the people he encountered ‘Indians’. He also
thought that the chilli they used in cooking was a kind of pepper, creating
a second confusion in nomenclature that persists to this day. Even
food historian K. T. Achaya, who usually managed to find South Indian
origins for all of the world’s foods, was forced to concede that till
Columbus got to America and thought that he had discovered a new kind of
pepper, nobody in India had the slightest idea what a chilli was. “There is
no mention whatsoever of the chilli in Indian literature before the 16th
century,” he noted, perhaps a little sadly.  As Achaya also pointed out, no
Indian language had a word for chilli and when it did finally reach our
shores, we fell back on Columbus-like confusions with pepper: mirch in
Hindi and milagu and milagai in Tamil, for instance. Nobody has any exact
record of the arrival of the chilli in India, but it is believed that the
Portuguese fleet commanded by Vasco da Gama brought seeds for the plant to
Goa. This is where they were first planted, and they then spread to Bombay
where they were called Gova Mirch. According to Collingham, the chilli
export was controlled by the Turks who bought chillies from the west coast
of India and took them to Black Sea ports and their own country and from
there, to Northern Europe – England, Germany, Holland, etc. This is what
led many Europeans to regard the chilli (which is actually a vegetable) as
just another Indian spice, a belief that still persists. Moreover, says
Collingham, the Turks introduced the chilli to Hungary when they conquered
it. So the famous paprika of Hungary is really an Indian chilli. (In
botanical terms, it is closely related to the Kashmiri mirch or the Bedgi
chilli of South India.)  So while colonialists may well have introduced a
South American flavour to our cuisine, the genius of India lies in the way
we made it our own and gave it to other cuisines, to countries where nobody
had heard of Columbus or Vasco da Gama.   HENCE WHAT WAS MISSING IN ASIA
WAS MISSING IN CHINA TOO. There is a similar problem with the chilli and
China. It is hard to think of Sichuan cuisine without the chilli. But who
brought the chilli to Sichuan? One theory is the standard “European traders
brought it with them” version, but Sichuan is not on the coast. So, which
European traders got there and how and when? A second theory is that it
reached overland, perhaps via Burma which, to me at least, seems a little
more convincing.

KR  IRS 14921