CULTURAL QA09-2021-22

Being  a compilation there may  be errors

Q1            Why is the fuse in the neutral wire?

A1            Steve Jones Studied atImperial College London Updated September 13

That would be because it was fitted by anincompetent electrician.

Fuses should never be fitted to the neutral wire. That’s because it provide no
protection for live/line to ground/earthfaults and also, if there is an
over-current live to neutral fault, and thefuse blows, it still leaves the
circuit energized.

Q2            How do I decrease the temperature in an AC?

A2            Bruce Skovmand, formerJourneyman Electrician & Electrical Theory
Teacher (1957-2017)Answered June20, 2020

Since degrees is set up so, the lower the number, the colder it gets,when you
say “ decrease the temperature “ you mean to set it at a lower number…The other
way to look at it is, if it’s getting too cold, warm it up byincreasing the
number to a higher temperature.

Q3            How can I take care of my laptop battery (Li-ion) while Ihave to
work on the laptop at the desk most of the time every day? Should I useplugged
in all the time or any other way?

A3            Ashok Pandey Managerat Cyber Media India (company)
(2014–present)August 6

The best way to care for yourlaptop's battery is to keep your laptop plugged
while using it. If you don't, then it will run on battery, whichwill actually
reduce its battery life. That's because all batteries have a certain numberof
charge and discharge cycles. The more you use it on battery, the morecycles are
used up, which ends up reducing battery life.

If you're looking for a laptopwith long battery life, then check out some of
the HP business notebooks. They not only offer long battery life, but have a
Fastcharge technology that can recharge the battery upto 50% in just 30 minutes.

Q4            What purpose does silver have in household products
likeantiperspirants and water filters?

A4            Anonymous Answered 26mago

Inhibiting the growth of bacteria

Silver ions have wonderfulantibacterial properties and so are useful additions
to products where growth is likely. Antiperspirants, in particular,include a
smattering of silver ions designed for a spot of minor odourabsorption in
addition to preventing a bacterial breakout. Silver in water filters helps
tocleanse the water and is a common addition to drinking water supplies and
pools(where it can be used as a safer alternative to chlorine).

Q5            Why was gold one of the first metals to be mined andworked by the
ancients?

A5            John Bartram· Studiedhistory and practised archaeology worldwide
for 50+ years.  Fri

Where gold was found, it was found easily, sitting, glinting, in streams.

It could then be beaten with arock into shapes and even into sheets; it
required no metallurgy, or kiln.

And to top it all, itnever corrodes and so keeps its lustre forever.

Q6            Why is it dangerous to plug high power capacityappliances into
power strips or extension cords?

A6            Lewis Edge, B.S.Electrical Engineering, Georgia Institute of
Technology (1964)Answered 15h ago

In North America most standard electrical outlets can safely deliver upto 15 or
20 amperes at 120 AC volts. Many extension cords are designed forlight
electrical loads, such as table lamps or floor lamps. If such an extension cord
isused for a high power capacity appliance it can be overheated and cause a
fire.

A solid power strip, designed to deliver a full 20-amperes can be usedsafely.
However, any time an additional plug-in connection is made between ahigh power
capacity appliance and the outlet, there is a possibility that therewill be a
high-resistance connection that can overheat. That’s why suchconnections are
discouraged.

My note-If you are insertingthe extension box to 5 ampsplug point, the total
load in amps should not exceed 5 amps .Wattage/Voltage(230)= amps.

Q7            What is the main difference between a lithium battery anda
lithium-ion battery?

A7            3 Answers AnonymousAnswered 58m ago

A lithium battery is non-rechargeable,whereas a lithium-ion battery is
rechargeable

In general, lithium batteries are non-rechargeable (primary batteries).The
lithium metal serves as the anode, whereas another material (for
example,manganese dioxide and iron disulfide) serves as the cathode.

On the other hand, lithium-ionbatteries are rechargeable (secondary batteries).

The first lithium-ionbattery prototype was built by Japanese chemist Akira
Yoshino in 1985.

Both lithium and lithium-ion batteries operate through redox
(reduction-oxidation)chemical reactions.

Lithium batteries are bändin-rechargeable batteries that use lithiuminstead of
zinc as anode. The typically are button shaped about coin sized andhave 3 V
voltage. There also are 1.8 V ones in normal AA and AAA sizes. Thedecan in most
devices be used instead of alkaline batteries.

Such lithium batteries workmuch longer on heavy load and have very long
shelf-life - up to 20 years.

Lithium-ion batteries arerechargeable batteries that have 3.7 V nominal
voltage. They nowadays typicallyare built in devices like phones, tablets,
wireless headphones etc.

Some devices like cameras use user changeable Li-ion batteries that
arespecifically designed to the devices. Users generally do not buy
genericstandard size Li-ion batteries for devices like they do with AA and
AAAbatteries.

Q8            What is the significance of the color black in Indianculture?

A8            AnbazhaganAmbroseM.Phil. in Literature & Linguistics, Jawaharlal
Nehru University(Graduated 2000)September 15

I do not know about “Indian” culture, but I do know a bit about Tamilculture.

In North Tamilnadu significanceof black varies. If yourfamily is entitled to
worship “katteri” black is not only allowed, it is alsoencouraged. But if you
do not, woe betide anyone who dares to wear black.

I am banned from wearinganything black in my mother’s presence. My mother will
reject any cloth that has even a tiniest black thread, leave alonewhole black
borders and stuff.

Even my father, a hard core DK/DMK person, decided discretion is betterpart of
valor and never wore black. At least he did not come home wearing black.

Q10         What is the reason that any pooja lamp (Deepam) should belit by 12
noon or after 4PM? What is the logic, history, history behind notlighting the
first deepam for poaja after 12 noon?

A10          Ramadevi Gidugu FormerSelf Employed, Full Time Mother. Sun

I was told by learnt pandits, a day is divided and ruled by Deva,
Manava,rakshasa and pitrudevatas.

Means god eliments, human eliments and demons or evil eliments anddeparted
souls awaiting birth.

>From four to 6 deva kalam. 6 to 11 manava kalam. Then onwards up to 4it's
>pitrudevata sancharana time.( Departed souls) From then onwards asurastime.(
>Evil eliments)

In this uttamam( the best )is early morning four to 6. It's not easy forevery
one. So, Manava time( human eliments) is followed by many for nitya
puja.Lighting of lamp. That is up to 11 am.

Later, only death or annual ceremonies for departed souls are performedtill 4
in the evening.

Later on asuras( evil spirits) time starts. To avoid them we light lampas we
believe evil spirits won't come when there is divine positive energy, light.

Generally in sandhya samayam ie evening between 5.30to 6.30 lamp is lit. But
technically from four we can light the lamp. But, that will be broad day light.
So, generallywe light lamp from five onwards.

‘Deepam andhakara vinasanam'timira samharam'. Means lamp is lit to drive away
darkness.

If you can observe, to follow this schedule one needs a lot of disciplinein
life. All pujas, rituals, traditions main intention is, to have, to teachsome
discipline in life.

Again some gods who have the control and who deals only with demons arethere.
Like, Maha kali, lord shiva, and a few. For them night puja is allowed.Any time
of the day puja is allowed. Many of them for occult practices also.

Any puja once started in Deva and manava time, can continue to any lengthof
time irrespective of the time of the day. Because that is continuation ofthe
process already strated. Like havan, homam, abhishekam.

It's really a big, vast subject. I tried to explain it in brief.Itdoesn't mean
you can't do whenever you want to do puja, you can. Only thing isthe expected
results may not come.

Early mornings, mind will be in fresh mood. Stomach is empty. After bathonly
puja is generally performed.

So, mind and body both are clean and in receiving mode. Any positiveenergy can
easily penetrate body. It activates and helps your brains and bodyto perform
well.

Same way, once you finish your day activities, you freshen up yourselfand light
evening lamp. A good time to receive positive energy to relax yourbody. Helps
your body and brains to relax. Helps you perform your dutiestowards your family.

I don't have scientific backingfor this information because these pandits who
told me are scholars not sciencegraduates.

Moreover I didn't find anything objectionable or degrading in what theysaid.
So, I never questioned them to prove anything.

I followed their advice and benefitted from it.Inever have a reason to prove
them wrong.

Q11         Despite a lot of Indians in information technology, why isthere no
competition to companies like Facebook, Amazon, and Google?

A11          KanthaswamyBalasubramaniam Lawyer Fri

Thats because the West is muchmore prosperous thanIndia and development and
demand always originates earlier in prosperouscountries than in poorer
countries.

Take the PCs and Windows. US had PCs since 1988–89 in various housesbeginning
with Commodore 64 and slowly evolving to Windows 98 and later ME.

Yet while every kid in US had a PC and every home had a PC by the 2000s. Even
in 2003- How many homes inIndia had PCs?

So we are looking at a 15 yr gap between demand related developmentbetween US
and India

US had started facebook in 2004–2005 because their students were at thatstage
where they had a demand for Social Media. And you had Hi5, Orkut, Myspacealso.

In 2004–2005 India, ourinternet was still 80–90% dialup connections and slow as
hell, so how could anyone conceive facebook or youtube or twitter.The Demand
never existed or was unimaginable

Also who developed Facebook? A group of college kids

Who developed Microsoft? A College kid

Apple? Twitter? Whatsapp? Google? All by Kids in their 20s not byAccenture or
IBM or HP or Compaq

Lets take our College Kids    Middle Class ones need Jobs to pay offEducation
loans and get ahead   Rich onesjoin Papas business

Our Kids don’t have a tenth of the freedom US kids have like SocialFreedom
(Nobody cares too much if you drop out), Academic freedom (Drop out andjoin
back 2 years later), Job opportunity (McDonalds, KFC, Summer Jobs, StudentJobs
at $7.25/Hr Minimum ), Affordable equipment (Laptops easily affordedagainst
50–60K in India)

So another big obstacle .This is the Attitude.Invention takes time andfailure
rate is high

So rather create an app using the most generic freeware and call itToilet
cleaner where people will come and clean your toilets and have Varundhawan pose
for it, and two years later value it for $2 Billion - thats the Indian way.
Alwaysshortcuts

Meanwhile those who do develop something extraordinary don’t get anyfunding and
move to US or Singapore where better VCs are able to spot thepotential.

Then you have Zero Tech related entrepreneurship

This means your idea can be copied in 10 minutes without any issues

ID came up with Idly or Dosa Batter and tens of thousands of homes didnot need
to grind dosa flour. Dosa grinder sales to homes crashed

But in 3 years - every local market was flooded with Cottage Dosa Flourand ate
57% into his share

So

#1 We are 10–15 yrs behind theWest so demand related innovation isnext to
impossible

#2 Most innovation comes fromCollege Kids who in Indiasimply have no advantages

#3 Our Colonial Attitude isFast Profits meaning we hate longwork and patience
to develop quality stuff rather creating worthless junk andhyping about it
through media and SRK

#4 Since most ideas have no tech uniqueness , they are copied in seconds making
it risky and notincentivising enough

Q12         What is the benefit of moving towards electric vehicles whenwe know
that ultimately we'll need to burn fossil fuels like coal to
generateelectricity?

A12          Bala Senthil Kumar Asrequired Sun

Efficiency.

The pollution generated even at the most polluting coal burning powerplant to
generate the power needed to charge your car or two wheeler is lessthan the
pollution you will create running your EV on fossil fuel.

It is like the energy efficiency of a community kitchen. If youdistributed the
raw materials and each home cooked the same meal forthemselves, with their own
energy, it would be much more wasteful. But cookcollectively and although you
have the same process, efficiency is much higher.

We do not yet have the fullystudied numbers on the impact of recycling degraded
batteries, but that apart, it’s pretty finite the amount ofpollution we might
create using electric vehicles.

The most important aspect of making the choice to move to EVs is that thesource
of power is flexible, and evolving. Those of us who want to do this canalso
install solar cells, and go off grid - this option is available already.

As we evolve all electricity sources that power our lives, the level
ofpollution will keep going down, and we’re seeing diverse sources - solar,
wind,wave energy, solar thermal, nuclear, and others coming up that won’t
damagemuch to create usable electric power.

There is still plenty of untapped hydroelectric power too. I’m not sureif the
numbers work in all countries to get more out of water flow, but placeslike
Nepal most certainly can become big suppliers to a ‘global grid’ of thefuture,
which I think is inevitable.

All the above QA are based onQuora  digest on 21-09- 2021. Quoraanswers need
not be 100% correct answers

Compiled and posted by R. Gopala krishnan on 22-09-2021