CULTURAL QA 12-2021-12

Being a compilation there may  be errors 

Q1            Does the length of a ground wirematter?

A1            Gopala Krishnan , former AssistantGeneral Manager 1996-2004 at 
Department of Telecom (1966-2004)Answered just now

Yes is my answer. The groundearth should be perfect. Length of earth wire 
should be copper and it should beflat/ thick. There should be least resistance 
for earth wire. Hence I haveanswered length matters. 

Earth resistance should be maximum five ohms.Preferable is 2 ohms. There should 
notbe joints in the copper earth lead. Normally earth lead is not covered since 
itshould be visible to inspect break etc. However one should ensure 
childrenshould not touch it.

Q2            Is there anything more importantthan health?

A2            Aashish Kumar Dimri News andPolitical Analyst Nov 8

Old : Lal Krishnaadvani -former Indian Deputy Prime minister turned 94 years 
old today.

Habits : He isknown for his healthy habits. He stays away from smoking, hard 
drinks; nonvegetarian food; over eating.He is still a movie buff ; bibliophile; 
spiritual.He always stays positive.

Young : PramodMahajan; Gopinath Munde ; Ananth Kumar; Arun Jaitley; Anil Dave ; 
Sushma Swaraj- proteges of LK Advani-died young

Habits : Many ofthem were foodies and suffered from stress .

Hectic : These wellread leaders had a very busy political life; and missed care 
free days.

Conclusion :“Health is not valued till sickness comes”: Thomas Fuller

Note : Kindly adopt good habits and stay positive.

Q3            Why did humans evolve flat feet withtoes that are less functional 
than fingers, but other apes evolved to havesomewhat hand-like feet?

A3            Claire Jordan Degree in biology andfolklore; programmer, shop 
owner, secretary on newspaper Fri

Because humans are adapted for fast running, and don’tclimb much. This of other 
large animals thatrun fast - horses, catle, wolves and so on. Not one of them 
has proportionatelylong toes, because running at speed with a heavy body 
swaying back and forthwould probably cause those toes to break.

Q4            What have you had to cut down on oreliminate because of 
inflationary prices?

A4            Gopalkrishna VishwanathWillingresponder to survey questionsFri

I have cut down on several expenses but the reasonsare not always due to 
inflationary prices.I am now leading a retired life.

I have cut down onpetrol consumption.

Reason: I don’t goout much due to the pandemic. Besides, I migrated from 
Bengaluru city to asmall retirement community in a much smaller place called 
Devanahalli. Everyplace I need to visit is less than 3 to 4 kilometers from 
where I live unlikein Bengaluru where I often had to travel between 10 to 15 
kilometers. Thehigher petrol prices these days are more than compensated by 
reduced distancesthat I need to travel and also by the reduced need to travel. 
I now ordereverything online and get it delivered rather than go out to get 
them. Visitingshops and banks are now very occasional.

I have not just cutdown on eating outside but totally stopped doing so.

Reason: healthconcerns, avoiding public places due to the pandemic, and lack of 
confidence inthe hygiene standards adopted in the popular crowded eating houses 
in the placeI now live in. The top-class or exclusive restaurants are too 
expensive andserve food that is too rich for me to digest.

I have cut down onthe cost of clothes. I have not bought new clothes in the 
last 4 years.

Reason: I don’tneed to. I have too many already and have now been giving my old 
clothes away.

I have not traveledto any new place for more than two years.

Reason: Thepandemic. The ticket costs may have increased but I am not affected.

In spite ofinflationary prices, I have not cut down on medicines and medical 
insurance. Ipay whatever it costs and have no option in this matter.

Rising prices have notaffected me much. My new lifestyle does not need me to 
spend much. I have noloans to clear. No EMIs to pay. No children to educate. No 
office or workplaceto commute to.

The only definiteand constant costs are food, utilities, and the costs of 
service in theretirement home I am now living in. They have remained the same 
for the pastfour years. Maintenance costs have risen a little but there is no 
option but topay them. It is not possible to cut down on those costs.

I also don’t haveto save any longer. I now only need to take care that I don’t 
spend more thanwhat I have saved for my retired life.

The onlyuncertainty and fear are sickness and hospitalization. I have medical 
insurancebut the premiums are rising every year with advancing age. I live with 
that.

The only fastrunners I can think of with long toes are ostriches, emus and 
rheas, and theygot tound it by making their toes so massive and strong that the 
main toe islike a foot in itself.

Q5            Are induction utensils used on a gasstove if electricity is gone?

A5            Gopala Krishnan , former AssistantGeneral Manager 1996-2004 at 
Department of Telecom (1966-2004) Answered justnow

YES. All types ofvessels in any metal can be kept on LPG stoves. For induction 
stove special bottom is required forHindalium and Aluminium pressure cookers, 
saucepan etc. Stainlesssteel can be used in both.

Q6            What are the main predators ofhealthy adult elephants?

A6            Nathaniel Rice Bi, animal researcherTue

None, really.  

Yes, this elephant is only about a year old.

Elephants aresimply…    too big    too dangerous for most predators. As seen 
above, the occasionalopportunist lion might try to snack on a youngster or 
finish off a dying one,but - realistically speaking - a healthy adult African 
elephant has no natural predators (save forhumans, of course).

The same holds truefor Asian elephants. Eventhe mighty tigers make a run for it 
when confronted by an elephant, as seenabove.

Of course, notevery elephant-tiger encounter has to be violent. Tigers are 
smart - they knowwhen they’re in over their heads. The tiger in this video got 
up and moved themoment the elephant came towards him.

Elephant ComesAcross Tiger While Walking. Watch What Happens Next

Healthy, adult elephants have no naturalpredators. Big cats know this, and as a 
result respect their space.

Q7            Is it true that phytoplanktonproduces half of the oxygen we 
breathe?

A7            Ken SaladinEmeritus professor ofbiologyDec 3

More than half, I think. Here is the assessment of theNational Oceanographic 
and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA):

Scientists estimate that 50-80% of the oxygenproduction on Earth comes from the 
ocean. Themajority of this production is from oceanic plankton

— drifting plants,algae, and some bacteria that can photosynthesize. One 
particular species,Prochlorococcus, is the smallest photosynthetic organism on 
Earth. But thislittle bacteria produces up to 20% of the oxygen in our entire 
biosphere

That’s a higherpercentage than all of the tropical rainforests on land combined.

How muchoxygen comes from the ocean?

At least half ofthe oxygen produced on Earth comes from the ocean, mostly from 
tinyphotosynthesizing plankton. But marine life also uses roughly the same 
amountof oxygen to breathe, for cellular respiration, and in the 
decompositionprocess.

Here is that humblelittle Prochlorococcus that’s probably keeping us all alive. 
Astonishing, isn’tit?

Single-celledbacterium works 24-7, converting light to energy by day, 
moonlighting at night

Researchers atWashington University in St. Louis have gained the first detailed 
insight intothe way circadian rhythms govern global gene expression in 
Cyanothece, a typeof cyanobacterium (blue-green algae) known to cycle between 
photosynthesisduring the day and nitrogen fixation at night.

Somethingalways to be borne in mind when we think of how much of the earth’s 
oxygen isproduced by the oceans and forests is that those ecosystems also 
consume a lotof it. For example, the floor of a tropicalrainforest is a compost 
of rapidly decaying matter, and decay is anoxygen-consuming process. It offsets 
the oxygen being produced by the forest’sgreenery. By how much, I don’t know. 
Trees and phytoplankton, after all, don’tjust carry out oxygen-generating 
photosynthesis; they also carry outoxygen-consuming aerobic respiration, the 
same as you and I and all otheraerobic organisms do.

The netcontribution of such ecosystems as the oceans and forests (not to 
mentiongrasslands, tundra, etc.) to the level of free atmospheric oxygen may 
besignificantly different from their gross production. The Amazon rainforest, 
forexample, is thought to make a net zero contribution to the world’s 
atmosphericoxygen.

Why the Amazonrainforest doesn’t really produce 20% of the world’s oxygen

Of the manyimportant reasons to worry about the thousands of fires raging in 
the world’slargest rainforest, oxygen supply is not one of them.

Oxygen generationand consumption even in one ecosystem vary from place to 
place, from season toseason, even from hour to hour (e.g. day v. night).

So we have to ask,hypothetically, does the destruction of a million acres of 
rainforest portend aproportionate loss of atmospheric oxygen, or does it also 
mean that acreagewill then consume less of it? What are the relative gains and 
losses to theatmosphere? There are many reasons to be alarmed about rainforest 
destruction;it can’t be viewed in simple terms of how much oxygen it produces.

 “There are a number of reasons why you would want to keep the Amazon inplace, 
oxygen just isn’t any one of them,”remarks Earth systems scientist Michael Coe 
, who directs the Amazon program atthe Woods Hole Research Center in 
Massachusetts. (same as previous citedsource)

Q8            Why can we as humans not eat thesame meal every day for our whole 
lives like dogs and cats? What makes us sodifferent biologically?

A8            Chris Ebbert  I have served many cats. Wed

In theory, not even dogs and cats should be eatingthe same every day, because 
it would mean theirnutrients would get lopsided, and they would develop 
deficiencies.

But I do agree thatwe humans are being crybabies when it comes to food variety.

I’ve never had a problem eating the same meal fora whole week if it’s good. 
It’s how I cook, in fact. When I make lunch, I makeenough of it to be able to 
freeze or refrigerate the rest, and then I eat itfor the rest of the week. No 
big deal.

It’s all about whatone is used to. And one week isn’t a long enough time to 
develop deficiencies.

Q9            How do camels store so much water intheir body? Is it stored in 
their hump for future need?

A9            Ken Saladin Textbook author andprofessor emeritus Sep 28

No—the camel humpdoesn’t store water. It’s mostly fat. Food is veryscarce in 
the desert, so when camels are forced to do without it, they live ontheir 
stored fat. Other animals with a large store of body fat, such as bears,store 
it under the skin nearly everywhere on the body. If a camel did that, itwould 
act like a thick blanket retaining body heat in a habitat that’s 
alreadyblistering hot, and they’d be in danger of hyperthermia and death. Thus, 
camels, while they need to carry a lot of fat around with them,store it in 
these humps away from the body wall.

When camels oxidizestored fat by aerobic respiration, it generates a lot of 
water as a by-product.This is called metabolic water, and is enough for them to 
live on for as longperiods without drinking water. Another desert mammal, the 
kangaroo rat, isalso able to live indefinitely on its own metabolic water; it 
can go its wholelife without drinking, although it will readily drink water 
when it’savailable. These animals also get water in the early morning by 
lickingcondensation from rocks and plants before the day heats up and 
evaporates it.When water is available, a camel can drink up 30 gallons in 13 
minutes.

The kidneys ofcamels and kangaroo rats are very efficient at conserving water, 
so they don’tlosemuchin their urine. Camels are also said to produce very 
little sweat, althoughthere’s some controversy about that.[1]

Footnotes [1] How aCamel’s Fur Coat Keeps It Cool — Biological Strategy — 
AskNature

Posted byGeriSilver Oct 7

 “When water is available, a camel can drink up30 gallons in 13 minutes.”

Q10          What is the difference between 11Rudras and Rudra (husband of Sati 
and Parvati)? Were they born together (assons of Brahma)?

A10          Divyansh Saxena Thu

The 11 Rudras are expressions of Lord Rudra, they comeunder Rudra. They are 
same yet different. Rudrais none other than Lord Shiva also known as Shankar, 
Mahesh, Mahadev, Sadashiv,Shambhu, Adi Dev, Bhava, Mahakaal and many other 
names. He is the husband ofSati/Parvati (Remember that Sati and Parvati are not 
different, Maa Adi Shaktifirst took birth as Sati and then as Parvati.. so Sati 
and Parvati are same..So it looks like Lord Shiva is the husband of 2 
Goddesses, but he has only onewife i.e. Shakti who took birth as Sati and 
Parvati also known as Bhavani,Gauri, Durga, Mahadevi, Mahakaali, Rudrani etc).

All the above QA are from  Quora website  on    11-12- 2021. 

Compiled and posted by R. Gopala krishnan ,78, former  AGM Telecom Trivandrum 
on 12-12-2021

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/234881922.747009.1639277272857%40mail.yahoo.com.

Reply via email to