ELLURUDA AND PARIPPURUNDA

Sesameballs and roasted Bengal gram balls

Dear friends,

While going out fora bank work, my wife said- On return get one pack of sesame
balls and one packof roasted Bengal gram from ourshop. Normally I get all
provisions from a nearby shop. Special items and itemsnot available in the near
provision shop are obtained from other shops orsupermarkets. By our shop the
meaning is from the nearby shop.

During my studentdays I knew only one type of sesame which was brown black in
colour. Fortharpanam, my father kept a small tin of sesame separately. On the
day ofsrardha sesame balls were prepared adding jaggery to cleaned sesame and
servedto Bhokthas.  PITHRU SESHAM might be maximum3-4 balls, and it was
compulsory that my father ate one. Remaining was given tous. Sesame balls were
never prepared in home other than on srardha day.

Brown black Sesamesmall quantity was packed in a piece of newspaper and taken
on upakarma day. Itwas spread on left hand mixed with raw rice for tharpanam to
rishis. Standingon knee deep water of the Achhankovil river tharpanam was done
by all. Presentday arrangement of assistant to sasthrikal distributing sesame
was not there.It was interesting some of us taking sesame for Kandarshi
tharpanam.  If the upakarma day was not an amavasi day, sesamewas not used.

Very late after Istarted performing tharpanam after my father’s death, I knew
of white sesame.On close search I could see one or two white sesame along with
brown blacksesame.  The appearance of sesame ballsin shops is in the past one
or two years. From the appearance it is clear madein spherical moulds and made
using machines.

Even in my studentdays we could see persons selling Kadalamuttai(ground nut
candy) andInchimarappa(ginger candy) in bus stands. These candies were machine
made. Somehowwe could not get them on shops on those days.

The groundnut candyis prepared using skin removed ground nut added to hot
jaggery and poured toflat surface and pressed to uniform thickness and after
cooling cut to largepieces. They are  80%  further cut to uniform pieces,
sticking toeach other. When it is prepared in spherical moulds no cutting is
there.

While inTrivandrum, I could see merchants selling skin removed groundnuts. Now
all suchmerchants sell them in shops. Ground nut oil was new to me while coming
toTamilnadu. I got adjusted to refined ground nut oil. Bengal gram balls are
newaddition two years ago. Sesame balls available in packs either using
skinremoved sesame or with skin as prepared using srardha or using white sesame.

The following is asimple compilation about sesame and groundnut after searching
for informationfrom websites.

I wish all myChristian friends in the ThathaPatti group a happy Christmas.

Gopalakrishnan24-12-2021.

Sesame Seed: The Facts and Flavours of One of the MostVersatile Crops Feb 21,
2020

Made into a wine asan offering to the gods, baked into modern day breads and
cookies, pressed intonutritious oil: there’s no question sesame seed is a
diverse crop with a richand colourful history and a variety of uses.

In this blog, we’llshowcase the flavour, history, and common uses of sesame
seeds, and discuss themany ways it’s used today.

1 Flavour

Sesame seeds have amild, sweet, and nutty flavour and a satisfying crunch when
eaten whole.They’re often baked or toasted to bring out a stronger almond-like
flavour andaroma and make the seeds more evident in dishes.

The oil of sesameseed is pale yellow and with a faint, mellow nutty flavour
that makes it greatfor cooking and an excellent addition to stir fries and
Asian-inspired cuisine.

When eating sesameseeds of different colours, you’ll notice that the flavour
varies slightlybetween them. Black sesame seeds, for example, have a more
earthy flavour thanthe other colours.

2 Appearances

Sesame seeds arefound inside the fruit of a sesame plant, which is an oblong
pod with ridgesthat contains small oval seeds that measure about ⅛ inch long.
To remove theseeds from the pod, the sesame fruit is dried which causes it to
begin to open,making it easy to shake the seeds free. Sesame seeds are covered
in a husk that is a darker shadethan the seed itself, and are most often
removed from the husk before consuming.When revealed from the husk, sesame
seeds can be white, black, red, brown, ortan,-. Depending on the variety of the
sesame plant itself. Most of the sesameseeds you’ll see in the U.S. are creamy
white, while black sesame seeds aremost commonly used in Chinese cooking.

3 History

Sesame seed is anancient crop that appears in religious texts and fables.
Carved drawings depictsesame seeds being thrown into big pots of food. Historic
documents tell of atime when sesame seeds were used in cleansing rituals as a
symbol ofimmortality in funeral ceremonies. During wars, sesame seeds were
rationed for soldiers needingstrength to survive their strenuous tasks.

4 Origin

Sesame seeds comefrom the Sesamum Indicum plant. Indigenous to the Sunda
Islands in Indonesia and the oldestknown oilseed plant in history, the plant
has been cultivated for over 4,000years. From Indonesia,sesame seeds made their
way to China, Egypt, India, and Japan. Evidence suggests that oil extraction
from sesame seed dates back to900-700 BC in eastern Turkey, and that it’s been
used in China for at least2,000 years.

At Pacific Spice,we source our sesame seeds from India, Mexico, and Guatemala,
which are theprimary suppliers for sesame seeds in the U.S. The plant’s ability
to survivewithout water in very hot and dry conditions makes it a great crop
for areaswith desert-like conditions that would otherwise be unable to produce
crops.

5 Quality, Sourcing, and Safety

Pacific Spice isdedicated to producing the highest quality spices. To do that,
we sourcequality whole seeds and process and clean them locally. Under our full
control,we can ensure that our strict manufacturing methods far exceed the
qualitystandards of U.S. food manufacturers. This results in product that is
pure,free of contaminants and adulterants, and a flavourful addition to your
favouritedishes.

6 Storing

Sesame seeds should always be kept in an airtight containerand in dry, dark,
and cool conditions.

When stored in anairtight container at room temperature or in a refrigerator,
sesame seeds will last up to 3months or 6 months, respectively. When stored in
an airtightcontainer in the freezer, sesame seeds can last for up to a year.

7 Uses and Nutrition

With high vitaminB1, dietary fibre (benefitting digestion), high concentration
ofpolyunsaturated (healthy) fats, and a multitude of vitamins, and
minerals,sesame seeds are used for a variety of nutritional purposes.

Many people like totoast or bake their sesame seeds to bring out the nutty
flavour and add them asa decorative garnish to savoury dishes. In Chinese
cooking, sesame seeds areused to coat foods to give them a crunchy exterior. In
the U.S. you are likelyto find sesame seeds in crackers, salad dressings,
soups, rice dishes, andhamburger buns.

The secondingredient in Hummus is Tahini (or Tahina), and Tahini is almost
entirely (youguessed it) sesame seeds that have been ground and made into a
paste . Wewouldn’t have Hummus without sesame seeds!

8 Sesame Oil

Sesame oil is awildly popular oil for cooking because sesame seeds contain
about 50% fixed oilcontent, making it very stable in high heat. It’s used
commonly in high heatcooking like stir frying and in Asian-inspired cuisine.

Sesame oil is alsocelebrated for its skincare benefits, and is used for its
hydrating andantioxidant properties and as an ingredient in soaps and cosmetics
in India.

We’ll leave you with one final fun usage fact: The flowersof sesame plants can
be pressed for perfume!

9 CHICKPEA

Alternate titles:Bengal gram, Cicer arietinum, chick-pea, garbanzo bean

Chickpea, (Cicerarietinum), also called garbanzo bean or Bengal gram, annual
plant of the peafamily (Fabaceae), widely grown for its nutritious seeds.
Chickpeas are animportant food plant in India, Africa, and Central and South
America. The seedsare high in fibre and protein and are a good source of iron,
phosphorus, andfolic acid.

10 Physical description

The bushy 60-cm(2-foot) plants bear feathery pinnately compound leaves. The
small white orreddish flowers often have distinctive veins in blue or purple
and are usuallyself-pollinated. The yellow-brown or dark green beans are borne
one or two to apod. There are large- and small-seeded varieties.

11 Acaraje.

Acaraje is deepfried ground black-eyed peas. Nigerian and Brazilian dish. Sold
by streetvendors in Brazil's Bahia and Salvador. Kara, kosai, sandwich

12 Uses

Hummus (orhummous)—chickpeas mashed to a paste with lemon juice, olive oil, and
tahini(sesame paste)—is widely eaten in the Middle East as a sauce and dip for
bread.Mashed cooked chickpeas are formed into small flat cakes or balls and
fried forfalafel, a popular Middle Eastern dish. In southern Europe and Latin
America,chickpeas are a common ingredient in soups, salads, and stews. A kind
of mealor flour is also made from chickpeas and can be used to make a flatbread
knownas socca or mixed with wheat or other flours for baking.

13 BOZA

Boza, a traditionalfermented drink in Eastern Europe and the Middle East that
is made from wheat,millet, or bulgur and topped with cinnamon and roasted
chickpeas.