Pranam
Blindness is wonderful..... In a sense renders a dubious meaning; Siddar
said "summayiruthale sugam" which was wrongly taken by the lazy people as
words of support for them; but controlling the mind without thoughts is
SUMMA; which in turn arise out of the meditation closing the eyes; bit
meditation is not a blindness as a blind would react; a blind may not see
outside; but the meditation closes the outer eyes; but opens up the inner
eye of SIVA which is gnanam; SO THAT BLINDNESS IS ACTIVE AS IF THE EYES ARE
OPEN; SO BLINDNESS CANNOT CAUSE TRHE MEDITATION.
    Many people are at the level of mechanical practice.  They perform the
rituals enjoined by their religious creed, but do not engage their mind in
God.  When they purchase a new house or a new car, they call the Pundit to
perform the *pūjā* (worship) ceremony.  And while the Pundit performs the
*pūjā*, they sit and talk in the other room or sip a cup of tea.  For them,
devotion is nothing more than performing the empty ritual.  It is often
performed by way of ceremonial habits that have been passed on from parents
and elders.  Performing rituals mechanically is not a bad thing, for after
all, something is better than nothing.  At least such people are externally
engaging in devotion.

However, Shree Krishna says that higher than mechanical practice is the
cultivation of spiritual knowledge.  Knowledge bestows the understanding
that the goal of life is God-realization and not material progress.  One
who is versed in knowledge goes beyond the empty rituals and develops the
desire to purify the mind.  But mere knowledge by itself cannot cleanse the
heart.  And thus, Shree Krishna says that higher than the cultivation of
knowledge is the process of engaging the mind in meditation.  By
practically controlling the mind through meditation, we begin to develop
detachment from worldly pleasures.  When the mind develops some measure of
the quality of detachment, we can then practice the next step, which is
renunciation of the fruits of actions.  As explained in the previous verse,
this will help remove worldliness from the mind and strengthen the
intellect for the subsequent higher stages.

    श्रेयो हि ज्ञानमभ्यासाज्ज्ञानाद्ध्यानं विशिष्यते
|ध्यानात्कर्मफलत्यागस्त्यागाच्छान्तिरनन्तरम्
|| 12||śhreyo hi jñānam abhyāsāj jñānād dhyānaṁ viśhiṣhyate dhyānāt
karma-phala-tyāgas tyāgāch chhāntir anantaram  *BG 12.12*: Better than
mechanical practice is knowledge; better than knowledge is meditation.
Better than meditation is renunciation of the fruits of actions, for peace
immediately follows such renunciation.    Mere closing of the eyes may
relieve the stress on eyes but cannot be classified as meditation.   KR
IRS 21122