Pranam
Q3    I could see the lamentations of a mother alone from the darkness
wailing in heart. Wait fro Rama to step on the stone of SON. KR IRS 22222

On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 at 05:26, 'gopala krishnan' via iyer123 <
[email protected]> wrote:

> *CULTURAL QA 02-2022-22*
>
> *BEING  A COMPILATION THERE MAY  BE ERRORS*
>
> Q1            The marriage proposal of a handsome army doctor has come by
> his parents but they will not allow the girl to wear a salwar suit or
> western only rajputi dress. What do I do?
>
> A1            Bhuvana Rameshwar married for three decades 11h
>
> *If I were you.. I would marry him. He is in the army.. Wow!* He is
> handsome.. Plus points He is a doctor…noble, respected profession.
>
> *I will be very loving and respectful to him and soon he will agree to all
> my decent dress choices.* Salwar kameez, kurta, long t-shirts, jeans
> cover our bodies better than sari - blouse combo. *There is no waist,
> stomach or any side show in many modern Indian dresses.*
>
> Rajasthani women wear thin saris, head covered as a mark of respect
> .Traditional saris. But these are also rajasthani…These are more practical
> and user friendly.
>
> *Here inlaws do not matter, nor their views*. May be you can wear
> traditional rajasthani dresses or saris for festivals and family functions. 
> Besides
> army men are usually placed away from hometown, away from inlaws, so get
> married.
>
> Q2            What prevents you from buying an iPhone as a middle-class
> Indian in 2022?
>
> A2            Prasanna Bhalerao M. Sc. in Electronics & Physics,
> Fergusson College, Pune6h
>
> I will tell you and give a hint to my thinking … cost is not an issue for
> me. Honestly, I can't figure out what the ₹80,000 odd iPhone will bring
> and how it will benefit me. *For me RoI and VFM are very important. A **₹**15k
> phone does all the work* for me very nicely, which is mostly social
> networking.
>
> Q3            You gave the best education to your children. Post
> education, they left India after putting you in an old age home. Do you
> regret giving them the best education?
>
> A3            Bhuvana Rameshwar Former Teacher, Sun
>
> Children are born through us but not for us. We shouldn't cut their wings
> for our self interests.
>
> Many children get educated, do go away abroad. Why, some even go away to
> bigger cities far from their villages and small towns. They go away for
> better jobs, better earnings, have better prospects and better quality life.
>
> *But most adult children want their parents to live comfortably even if
> continuing in their native towns with good food, better health care, house
> help, gadgets etc*. They also send money regularly if parents are in need.
> In case of health emergencies, family functions, festivals many visit the
> parents without fail . This equation also depends on parent - adult
> children relationships. Sometimes out of contact means out of mind and
> thus parents do feel abandoned . So keeping in touch by phone calls,
> chats, mails is a must even if swallowing your pride sometimes.
>
> Many ask parents to move over abroad. Getting them residency rights, green
> card etc does happen. *The problems is parents find it difficult to
> settle down abroad as they are so used to life in native country, like
> India is home to most elderly Indians*. They feel like fish out of water
> abroad. Most children are okay with both parents living in native country
> and visiting them abroad once in two to three years minimum, unless they
> have mobility issues. And adult children with grandchildren visit them the
> alternate years.
>
> We visited Australia. It was a happy stay but I felt loss of freedom. We
> are dependent on them for going out. Except for our daily walks the rest
> isn't that easy. Besides we do not have our extended family or our daily
> set of neighbours, neighbourhood shops, temples, our local tours etc to
> pass time. The freedom to drive away or take a train journey whenever,
> wherever is lost.
>
> *There we spent time mostly at home watching yupp TV, an app that relays
> Indian programs*. Smart phone was another time pass but it gets boring
> after some time. Day tours and visiting other places of sightseeing were
> joyful with a welcome relief from being at home. Stay is good for a month
> after that it is slightly difficult.
>
> I also recall here girls calling only their mothers to help during child
> delivery and after that forgetting them. Some girls call mil too, only to
> help out with baby and as a baby sitter as they may be both working. *Some
> mothers are literally cooks and housekeepers minus pay* in their son’s or
> daughter’s houses abroad. Usually fathers are left behind. Now this is not
> fair and sad. This is another reason why parents hate going abroad to their
> children's houses. *Some parents also transfer most their money abroad
> and are left paupers in their own country.* Or adult children dispose
> properties forcefully.
>
> Another strong point to note is not everybody is happy in an old age Home,
> unless both spouses live together there. According to a survey on such
> Homes.. women are more adjusting here as they form some kind of
> friendships, discussing woes etc. with other old women, hearing their
> stories, gossiping, gardening etc. But it very difficult for men to find
> good friends, hence most of them are lonely and depressed and die early
> compared to women. *Some elders can't afford a Home as there is no good
> saving.*
>
> So the current, prevalent norm is when one parent passes away they
> convince the other parent to move in with them abroad permanently .
>
> This is what I have told our son and dil who live abroad. *As long as we
> are able to manage we will live in India. Later move in with them if needed
> or if one of us passes away.*
>
> Now do I regret? .. I sometimes I miss them a lot. At nights I imagine the
> earth.. what a far away country I sent our son away.. I actually imagine
> seeing India to Australia view from space with the vast deep seas and ocean
> below and then crossing the Equator down to the huge island far below . The
> scene is very depressing and stressful.
>
> But if I imagine their life in India, our grand child's over competitive
> schooling in India, our son’s long hours, our dil ‘s travel by bus to work,
> the bangalore traffic jam, the pollution, the power cuts, the noise, the
> daily woes…*I am convinced they are better of there. We have lived our
> life well.* It is their turn now. And they should live it happy and well.
> After all it is one life for them too. And visiting them every alternate
> year works for now. So far fine.
>
> *My note- An answer carefully studied all aspects*
>
> Q4            What is it like doing a 20-hour or more flight in a
> passenger plane?
>
> A4            Eric Houg Frequent traveler, infrequently happy about it.
> Feb 9
>
> Meh. I did Houston to Dubai and I think that was 19 hours. Typically, once
> you get past about 9 hours, it’s all the same. You watch movies, read a
> book, chat with your travel buddy, sleep etc. It’s just really not a big
> deal.
>
> Even if you’re a nervous flyer, like me, you can only be terrified for so
> long before you get over it and just get bored.
>
> I have a few tricks that I use that I will share with you.
>
> *Every hour, on the hour, I like to get up an do a lap.* That is, I will
> walk all the way to the back of the plane, use the restroom, Hit the galley
> for a water or a munchie, go all the way to the front, at then circle back
> around. Again, all of it where I need to use the bathroom or not. It just
> helps break up the monotony.
>
> *Any time they give you food, take it and eat. It breaks up the monotony.*
>
> *Bring a laptop or tablet and put a BUNCH of movies* on it. Some long
> flights don’t have good entertainment options and it can be difficult to
> find out before you are on the plane. I bring my Ipad with about 20
> different movies and TV shows saved on it. It doesn’t even matter if it’s a
> bad movie, *it’s just to pass the time.*
>
> Try not to get too wound up about it. *Just relax and enjoy the ride*.
> You’ll get there when you’ll get there.
>
> Q5            Do we need to service air conditioners every year?
>
> A5            Gopala Krishnan , former Assistant General Manager
> 1996-2004 at Department of Telecom (1966-2004)Answered just now
>
> Whatever be the make of air conditioner *quarterly filter cleaning
> service and half yearly full service would avoid spending in 4–5 thousands
> when faults occur*. Once filters are cleaned one can feel the difference
> in cold air flow
>
> *Q6            Why do they attach a little bell to the collar of a cat
> back in the days?*
>
> A6            Anita Brown Worked at family pet shop. Sold cat & dog
> supplies and foodThu
>
> *They put bells on to scare prey animals and birds.* Most cats will learn
> to stalk with them on. Cats are tremendous hunters, nothing stops them. *If
> you wish to protect the birds, keep your cat inside.* It is safer for the
> cat too. The bells are irritating to a cat's ears. Most will fight the
> collar and bell because of the noise.
>
> I have to tear those bells off Marley's collars. He has a variety of
> collars so he can be fashionable. His collars are all breakaway collars so
> he could get loose should he ever get tangled.
>
> *Marley is a total inside cat but we like him to wear a collar with ID*.
> People see a collar on a cat, they know it belongs to someone. If Marley
> ever got outside by accident, he would have ID to bring him home. Marley
> also has a microchip. We will take no chances with our darling Marley.
> Marley's favorite collar, the classic bowtie.
>
> Q7            How do you know that it's time to replace your hard disk
> (hard disk drive/HDD) and SSD (solid state drive)?
>
> A7            Vladislav Zorov programming enthusiast .Dec 26
>
> For hard disks, you almost always get warnings, from various diagnostic
> programs. When you see S.M.A.R.T. errors, or you have sudden slow downs and
> weird sounds… it’s probably time.
>
> *For SSD, I guess you replace them when your computer suddenly doesn’t
> want to boot :D*
>
> So far I haven’t had an SSD fail, but I’ve heard there are no warnings, so
> I always have backup running in the background, to my NAS (which uses two
> hard disks in mirroring configuration, with some lights on the front panel
> that show drive health, and email notifications and everything, so
> hopefully it’s unlikely that one fails, nobody notices, and then the other
> fails as well).More important data also gets encrypted and replicated to
> cloud storage, so I always have 3 copies (two local, one remote).
>
> *My note- I was under the impression just like mother board, hard disc is
> also costly in* computers/Laptops.  While purchasing a new computer I
> desired to replace faulty disc also on the old one. It worked and both are
> working now. Hard disc of laptop cost me about 3000-00. It was about 3
> years back.
>
> Q8            Whose idea is it that we have weekdays and weekends? When
> did it start historically?
>
> A8            Matt Riggsby MA Archaeological Studies, Boston University
> Thu
>
> *It’s a product of the development in labor relations in the 19th and
> early 20th centuries.*
>
> Before the rise of industrialization, people had much less structured
> working lives. They tended to work long, hard hours some times of year and
> little or none at others (for example, during planting and the harvest vs.
> during the winter). *With the establishment of factory work, time became
> more structured. Urban workers in general needed to report to work at the
> same time on the same days,* so more and more people started to see time
> in terms of working vs. non-working days. Or rather, for many people, a
> non-working day. Europe and its diaspora being overwhelmingly Christian,
> Sunday was a day off. Other days involve ten to twelve hours of work.
>
> But labor movements and scientific studies of labor started to push back
> on that. Workers wanted to have lives outside of their labor and agitated
> for shorter days. This was supported by studies of accidents and
> productivity, which indicated that tired workers were less productive and
> more prone to accidents causing injury, death, and delays in production. Work
> days became progressively shorter, and part or all of Saturday as well as
> Sunday became a day off of work. Somewhere around the 1930s, two days off
> became the norm.
>
> Q9            Why don't rich people choose to get Lasik/Lasek surgery
> while still wearing glasses?
>
> A9            Amy Chai MD, Internal Medicine, MS Epidemiology Fri
>
> I will not risk unnecessary surgery on my eyes. I also get good correction
> with glasses, so it really is just for looking prettier.
>
> Plus, I am a doctor. So things splatter. I do not want splattery things in
> my eyeballs. Also, I have full UV protection, which should help prevent
> macular degeneration and eye wrinkles. *Glasses are protective and good. *So
> what if they look dumb.
>
> Q10         What are the things you should never leave in the car in the
> winter?
>
> A10          Chris Ebbert I have owned and driven over a hundred cars.
> Jan 27.
>
> *I have learned the hard way that cans of carbonated beverages are better
> not kept in the car if you see temperatures below freezing*. I came upon
> a can of light beer from a roadside café I had left in one of the door cup
> holders of my Toyota RAV4, which had been *parked in my driveway for
> about ten days in temperatures around minus fifteen Celsius.*
>
> It was the strangest sight: There was only a strip of tin with a bottom-
> and a top lid dangling from it. The actual beer had disappeared without a
> trace.
>
> To this day, I cannot imagine where the beer went. The car interior is
> clean. *But the can has quite clearly exploded.*
>
> *All the above QA are from  Quora  website  on    21-02- 2022. **Quora
> answers need not be 100% correct answers *
>
> *Compiled **and posted by R. Gopala krishnan on 22-02-2022*
>
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "iyer123" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [email protected].
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/iyer123/895845698.556436.1645487810165%40mail.yahoo.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/iyer123/895845698.556436.1645487810165%40mail.yahoo.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/CAL5XZoooiSFq6r6bMNSmE1JwO1xAaiLPJV1QKUba86pjtJkZ3w%40mail.gmail.com.
  • CULTURAL QA 02-2022-22 'gopala krishnan' via Thatha_Patty
    • Re: [iyer123] CULTURAL QA 02-2022-... Rajaram Krishnamurthy

Reply via email to