BED SHEETS AND BED SPREADS

Today whilespreading the bed spreads in my clothes lines in home after washing
many ideasabout them came to me. Though during Covid 19 period there was
stoppage insupplying them in trains, recently in most trains they are again
introduced. Intrains two sheets of same thickness in white color are given in
AC coaches, itis up to the passenger to which one to spread and which one to
cover the body.

Most resthouses and Lodgings provide white sheets. However some provide green
and bluesheets also.

Mosthospitals also provide in ICU white sheets, but in rooms many times
colouredones – Blue or green.

Whileconsidering homes, most prefer color sheets. The           sheets can be
thin and thick. It isup to the person to use thin one or thicker one as bed
spread/bed sheets. Mostmake it a point to provide pillows with the same color
of bed sheet/ bedspread. Using white in homes is very rare.

Whereasperiodicity of washing and replacing depends on the field. In trains
they arewashed daily, ironed and supplied as folded. But while getting down
from trainmore than 50 % does not fold and keep. They leave keeping on berth
just likethat.

In most resthouses, the same is continued till the occupant vacates if within
2-3 days.Otherwise they are replaced.

Manyhospitals change sheets on request after getting more soiled. Though
chargeheavily even in ICU it is so. My experience in ICU.

While I was atrainee in Telecom hostel and in charge of hostel as lecturer, I
kept aperiodicity of replacement, once a week, on a working day. I could see
the samein Jabalpur as well as Gazhiabad. Hostels either followed color or
whitesheets.

During Covid19 peak period every family ensured, washing sheets once a week or
even earlier,make germ free by dipping in Dettol water and dried. Now covid has
almostdisappeared, the pattern has changed. However present day detergent
liquidsalso make the cloth germ free.

Earlier eachhome had limited number of bed sheets and bed spreads. Now there is
shelf fullin each home- viz -at least 7sets in middle class home.

Now one moreaddition. Before a decade wearing color dhoti limited to khadi
light red cream color.Now color dhoti single and double are more popular, most
use different colors plaindhoti either at home or during short journeys.

If oneobserve, especially Malayalam channels one can    see most men wearing
colorsingle dhoti a daily wear at home and short trips.

Gopalakrishnan11-9-22