On horse I could see remarkable information at one place. Incidentally The
horse in India was not believed by many western sanskrit literature authors
and the Indologists. Wendy Doniger In Hindu had written that HORSE was
known to Indians only from Europe after 1500BCE. She was not
reconciled with the epics Ramayanam and Mahabharatyham on horses and
chariots. In response there is a research paper from a young student who
brought out so dexterously why horses were here as well as how it could
have been seen in Europe long after 8000 years. The evolution theory of MR
G might interest the west but never ever the Vedic followers of India , had
they read the evolution in sanskrit and many literatures written in
English.

Asva (HORSE) in the `Rgveda

       The horse (Asva), proponents have viewed the animal as the chief
instrument of the early Indo-Europeans’ victory

over non-Indo-Europeans across much of Eurasia: to Wendy Doniger (1981:
239), for instance, the quadruped was “the supreme symbol of the victorious
Indo-Europeans [...] whose domestication enabledthe Indo-Aryans to conquer
the Indo-European world”. In particular, the said Indo-Europeans are
thought to have introduced the horse into India around 1500 BCE and used
its speed to crushing advantage in order to subdue the native, ox-driven
populations; some versions of the scenario include among the latter the
Harappan civilization (2600–1900 BCE), from which the horse is allegedly
absent, and which therefore must be pre-Vedic and non-Aryan. By contrast, the
`Rgveda, a “horse-centred” text, reflects a “horse-centred culture” since
the word Asva or its synonyms (such as arvat, atya, Haya, sapti, våjin,
etc.) occur hundreds of times. Altogether, there can be no doubt,

2        The absence of horse remains and of depictions in the Indus
civilization
has been contested. Suffice it to say here that experts have identified
horse (also wild and domesticated ass) remains from the Neolithic to the
early second millennium BCE in the subcontinent at a dozen sites or so, and
that such remains continued to be identified afterwards, with no more than
a slight gradual increase, and with few depictions of the animal until the
Mauryan age.

3    To begin with, it would be absurd to take the numbers of horses
mentioned in the hymns at face value, as some scholars propose to do when
they encounter, for instance, references to “four hundred mares”
(8.55.3).{KR  ALL QUOTED FROM RIG VEDAM) When a hymn (2.18.4–6) invokes
Indra, asking him to come to the poet or the sacrifice with two, four, six,
eight, 10 horses, then 20, 30, and so on up to 100 horses, are we to
understand that  Aryans commonly or ever yoked such numbers of horses to
their chariots?

4    There is no dispute on the cosmic symbolism of the `Rgvedic horse, who
emerges from the sea in the `Rgveda (1.163.1) and in the Puranic myth of
the churning of the ocean, which produced “Uchchaihshravas”, a divine
seven-headed horse; the horse as a symbol for the sun is also well
understood (1.163, etc.). But there is muchmore to the Vedic symbolism of
the horse.

5    As early as 1912–14, a  decade before the discovery of the Indus
civilization, and thus long before the controversy over the “Harappan
horse”, Sri Aurobindo in his study of the `Rgveda and the Upanishads
concluded that “the word ashva must originally have implied strength or
speed or both before it came to be applied to a horse” (Aurobindo 2001:
277). More specifically: The cow and horse, “Gou and Asva”, are constantly
associated. Usha, the Dawn, is described as Gomati ashvavati; Dawn gives to
the sacrificer horses and cows. As applied to the physical dawn [1.48.2,
1.92.14] Gomati means accompanied by or bringing the rays of light and is
an image of the dawn of illumination in the human mind. Therefore,
ashvavati also cannot refer merely to the physical steed; it must have a
psychological significance as well. A study of the Vedic horse led me to
the conclusion that “Gou and Asva” represent the two companion ideas of Light
and Energy, Consciousness and Force (Aurobindo [1914-1920] 1998: 44).

6    Were we to accept a literalist reading, we would have to describe Ushas,
the Dawn, as full of or “rich in cows and horses” (1.92.14) , a rather
jejune statement, but one made unhesitatingly bymost translators of the
`Rgveda to this day. If, on the other hand, the Vedic poet meant to praise
Dawn as “rich in light and energy,” the verse takes on a wholly different
and much likelier significance. Similarly, should the Dawn be invoked as
the “mother of cows” (måtå gavåm, 4.52.2) or the “mother of light”? Should
she be prayed to “Establish in us a mass of cows and of horses” (1.48.12 )
or a “mass of light and energy”? Surely, it is equally bizarre to have the
poet pray Indra to “ornament our hymns with cows and horses” (7.18.2 ).

7     Vedic scholars do acknowledge, of course, that the language of
the `Rgveda
is a metaphorical one, whose symbolism constantly operates at several
levels; they are well aware of constant double entendre, multiple meanings,
metaphors, similes, riddles and puns in the hymns. “Vedic thought moves on
several different planes, each fact being susceptible of more than one
interpretation,”. “An essential characteristic of the vocabulary of this
text is polysemy,” - that double references create “serious obstacles for
our comprehension of the text [...] In a large group of Vedic words
this polysemy
acquires a symbolic character.” According to `Rgveda:3 the first rays of
light at dawn are homologous to cows, [...] and therefore the goddess Dawn
is called “the mother of cows” and images of ruddy cows overrun the hymns
to Dawn. [...] The light brought by the goddess Dawn disperses not only the
physical darkness of night but also the “Powers of darkness,” the dangerous
forces at work within the world.

8      Sri Aurobindo elaborated: For the ritualist the word gou means
simply a physical cow and nothing else, just as its companion word, ashva,
means simply a physical horse.[...] When the Rishi prays to the Dawn,
“gomad viravad dhehi ratnam uso ashvavati”, the ritualistic commentator
[Sayana] sees in the invocation only an entreaty for “pleasant wealth to
which are attached cows, men (or sons) and horses.” If on the other hand
these words are symbolic, the sense will run, “Confirm in us a state of
bliss full of light, of conquering energy and of force of vitality”
(Aurobindo [1914–20] 1998: 123–24).This reading of the Veda rejects a rigid
equation Asva = horse.Indeed, Yåska, the composer of the Nirukta, would
have agreed:for him, as Lakshman Sarup explains, “Every being who performsa
particular action should be called by the same name, e.g. everyone who runs
on the road should be called asva (runner), andnot the horse alone” (Sarup
[1920–27] 1998: 68). Thus, it is nosurprise to find the word arvat
repeatedly associated with the notionof speed or energy: Asva is “as swift
as thought,” as swift as Indrahimself (1.163.9); he sometimes flies
(1.118.5), has “the two wingsof a falcon, the two forelegs of an antelope”
(1.163.1), both of theminstruments of speed. Again, the Aśvins – the
“horse-riding” twingods – are designated as birds (4.27.4, 4.43.3). As
regards energy, letus hear the poet’s praise of Indra: “When they say, ‘he
came from ahorse,’ I think of him rather as born from strength” .But is he
not rather reflecting, “When they say that Indra was bornfrom speed/energy,
I think of him rather born of power,” that is,emphasizing Indra’s aspect of
might over that of speed or energy(Which would be more characteristic of
the Sun or Agni)?

9    : “A study of the theme of ‘horses’ in the Rigveda would hold some
surprise in store for those who a priori believe in the realism of Vedic
images” . Mechanically translating Asva as “horse” will be as often
misleading as translating go as “cow”; the horse as the actual animal is
much less frequent in the `Rgveda than we have been told.The prominent
place given to horses and chariots in the Rig Veda cantell us virtually
nothing that might distinguish any real society for whichthe Rig Veda might
provide a partial cosmology. If anything, it suggeststhat in real society
(as opposed to its mythological counterpart), horsesand chariots were ,
ownership of which was a mark of aristocraticor kingly distinction. If Sri
Aurobindo, is right, from hisown perspective, then the word Asva only
occasionally refers to theactual horse, and its frequent appearance in the
Vedic hymns is noindication that the animal had a proportional physical
presence.Vedists have of course discussed the imagery of the horse inthe
context of the Ashvamedha (1.162 and 1.163, amplified in laterVedic
literature), or when the animal explicitly takes on a cosmicdimension
(1.164, echoed in the Brahadåranyaka Upanishad’scelebrated opening), but
they have failed to integrate the evident`Rigvedic symbol of swiftness or
energy.

KR  IRS  25123