Why some people are cruel to others

By Simon McCarthy-Jones

  Some people find pleasure in hurting other people while others are happy
to do so in order to get what they want Inflicting harm or pain on someone
incapable of doing the same to you might seem intolerably cruel, but it
happens more than you might think. Humans are the glory and the scum of the
universe, concluded the French philosopher, Blaise Pascal, in 1658. Little
has changed. We love and we loathe. We help and we harm. We reach out a
hand and we stick in the knife. Another reason people harm the harmless is
because they nonetheless see a threat. Someone who doesn’t imperil your
body or wallet can still threaten your social status.

Sadists and psychopaths

Someone who gets pleasure from hurting or humiliating others is a sadist.
Sadists feel other people’s pain more than is normal. And they enjoy it. At
least, they do until it is over, when they may feel bad. Everyday sadists
get pleasure from hurting others or watching their suffering. They are
likely to enjoy gory films, find fights exciting and torture interesting.
They are rare, but not rare enough. Around 6% of undergraduate students
admit getting pleasure from hurting others.  Unlike sadists, psychopaths
don’t harm the harmless simply because they get pleasure from it (though
they may). Psychopaths want things. If harming others helps them get what
they want, so be it.

Can you ever change a psychopath’s mind?

They can act this way because they are less likely to feel pity or remorse
or fear. They can also work out what others are feeling but not get
infected by such feelings themselves.Thankfully, most people have no
psychopathic traits. Only 0.5% of people could be deemed psychopaths. Yet
around 8% of male and 2% of female prisoners are psychopaths.

Where do these traits come from?

No one really knows why some people are sadistic. Some speculate that
sadism is an adaptation that helped us slaughter animals when hunting.
Others propose it helped people to gain power. Italian philosopher and
diplomat Niccolò Machiavelli once suggested that “the times, not men,
create disorder”. Consistent with this, neuroscience suggests sadism could
be a survival tactic triggered by times becoming tough. When certain foods
become scarce, our levels of the neurotransmitter, serotonin, fall. This
fall makes us more willing to harm others because harming becomes more
pleasurable.Psychopathy may also be an adaptation. Some studies have linked
higher levels of psychopathy to greater fertility. Yet others have found
the opposite. The reason for this may be that psychopaths have a
reproductive advantage specifically in harsh environments. Sadism and
psychopathy are associated with other traits, such as narcissism and
Machiavellianism. Such traits, taken together, are called the “dark factor
of personality” or D-factor for short.

Research shows that if someone breaks a social norm, our brains treat their
faces as less human

There is a moderate to large hereditary component to these traits. So some
people may just be born this way. Alternatively, high D-factor parents
could pass these traits onto their children by behaving abusively towards
them. Similarly, seeing others behave in high D-factor ways may teach us to
act this way. We all have a role to play in reducing cruelty.

Fear and dehumanisation

Sadism involves enjoying another person’s humiliation and hurt. Yet it is
often said that dehumanising people is what allows us to be cruel. *Potential
victims are labelled as dogs, lice or cockroaches, allegedly making it
easier for others to hurt them. *There is something to this. Research shows
that if someone breaks a social norm, our brains treat their faces as less
human. This makes it easier for us to punish people who violate norms of
behaviour.It is a sweet sentiment to think that if we see someone as human
then we won’t hurt them. It is also a dangerous delusion. The psychologist
Paul Bloom argues our worst cruelties may rest on not dehumanising people.
People may hurt others precisely because they recognise them as human
beings who don’t want to suffer pain, humiliation or degradation. For
example, the Nazi Party dehumanised Jewish people by calling them vermin
and lice. Yet the Nazis also humiliated, tortured and murdered Jews
precisely because they saw them as humans who would be degraded and suffer
from such treatment.

For Nietzsche, cruelty allowed a teacher to burn a critique into another,
for the other person’s own good. People could also be cruel to themselves
to help become the person they wanted to be. Nietzsche felt suffering
cruelty could help develop courage, endurance and creativity. Should we be
more willing to make both others and ourselves suffer to develop virtue?

Arguably not. We now know the potentially appalling long-term effects of
suffering cruelty from others, including damage to both physical and mental
health. The benefits of being compassionate towards oneself, rather than
treating oneself cruelly, are also increasingly recognised.

And the idea that we must suffer to grow is questionable. Positive life
events, such as falling in love, having children and achieving cherished
goals can lead to growth.

Teaching through cruelty invites abuses of power and selfish sadism. It
isn’t the only way – Buddhism, for example, offers an alternative: wrathful
compassion. Here, we act from love to confront others to protect them from
their greed, hatred and fear. Life can be cruel, truth can be cruel, but we
can choose not to be.

* Simon McCarthy-Jones is an associate professor in clinical psychology and
neuropsychology at Trinity College Dublin.

K RAJARAM  IRS      15224