----

The concept of the Big Bang is both simple and easy to misunderstand. Dr.
John Mather, Nobel Laureate and James Webb Space Telescope Senior Project
Scientist, answers some commonly asked questions about the Big Bang, and
about JWST's role in understanding the early history of the universe.

*What Is The Big Bang?*

The Big Bang is a really misleading name for the expanding universe that we
see. We see an infinite universe expanding into itself. The name Big Bang
conveys the idea of a firecracker exploding at a time and a place - with a
center. The universe doesn't have a center. The Big Bang happened
everywhere at once and was a process happening in time, not a point in
time. We know this because 1) we see galaxies rushing away from each other,
not from a central point and 2) we see the heat that was left over from
early times, and that heat uniformly fills the universe.

We can see the heat that was there at about 380,000 years after the
expansion of the universe began 13.8 billion years ago (which is what we
refer to as the Big Bang). This heat covers the entire sky and fills the
universe. (In fact it still does.) We were able to map it with satellites
we (NASA and ESA) built called the Cosmic Background Explorer (COBE
<http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/cobe/>), the Wilkinson Microwave
Anisotropy Probe (WMAP <http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/>), and Planck
<http://www.cosmos.esa.int/web/planck>. The universe at this point was
extremely smooth, with only tiny ripples in temperature.

COBE, WMAP, and Planck all saw further back than JWST, though it's true
that JWST will see farther back than Hubble <http://hubblesite.org/>. JWST
was designed not to see the beginnings of the universe, but to see a period
of the universe's history that we have not seen yet before
<http://jwst.nasa.gov/firstlight.html>. Specifically we want to see the
first objects that formed as the universe cooled down after the Big Bang.
That time period is perhaps hundreds of millions of years later than the
one COBE, WMAP, and Planck were built to see. We think that the tiny
ripples of temperature they observed were the seeds that eventually grew
into galaxies. We don't know exactly when the universe made the first stars
and galaxies - or how for that matter. That is what we are building JWST to
help answer.    KR   IRS   20224

--
*Mar*