Pitu Gotra K Rajaram IRS   24524    25524

Pāṇini defines gotra as apatyam pautra prabhrti gotram (IV. 1. 162), which
means "the word gotra denotes the descendance (or descendants), apatya, of
a couple consisting of a pautra, a son and a bharti, a mother, i.e. a
daughter-in-law."  When a person says "I am Vipparla-gotra", he means that
he traces his descent to the ancient sage Vipparla by an unbroken male
descent.

@According to the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 2.2.4, Kashyapa, Atri, Vasistha,
Vishvamitra, Gautama Maharishi, Jamadagni and Bharadvaja are seven sages
(also known as saptarshis) and Jambu Maharishi is another sage (also known
as Renuka, who belongs to Kashyapa). The progeny of these eight sages are
declared to be gotras. This enumeration of seven primary & one secondary
gotra seems to have been known to Pāṇini. The offspring (apatya) of these
seven are gotras and others than these are called gotrāvayava.

One who follows the system defined by three sages defines himself as
Tri-a-Vishay. Similarly, for five sages, it is Pancha-Vishay, and for seven
sages, it is Santa-Vishay.

There exists another theory about gotra: sons and disciples of a sage would
have the same gotra; it is believed that they possess similar thoughts and
philosophies. People of the same gotra can be found across different
castes. Each gotra comprises pravaras.

A    Origins    As a Rigvedic terms, gotra simply means "forward moving
descendants".[ Saraswati, Swami Dayanand (2010). Rigvedadi-Bhashya-Bhumika.
Vijaykumar Govindram Hasanand. p. 199. ISBN 978-8170771296. ] (गौः) गमन
करनेवाली means forward moving and (त्र:) stands for Offspring.

 Chandogya Upanishad) interpreted meaning shows as “These "lineages" as
they developed among the Brahmins of that time meant patrilineal descent.
The Brahmanic system was later adopted by other communities, such as the
Kshatriyas and Vaishyas ( encyclopedia Britannica).

All members of a particular gotra are believed to possess certain common
characteristics by way of nature or profession. Many theories have been
propounded to explain this system. According to the Vedic theories, the
Brahmins are direct descendants of seven sages who are believed to be the
sons of Brahma, born out of his mind through yogic @   prowess. They are
(1) Atri, (2) Bharadvaja, (3) Gautama Maharishi, (4) Jamadagni, (5)
Kashyapa, (6) Vasishta and (7) Vishvamitra. To this list, Agastya is also
sometimes added. These eight sages are called gotrakarins, from whom all
108 gotras (especially of the Brahmins) have evolved. For instance, from
Atri sprang the Atreya and Gavisthiras gotras.  MANY APEX COURT DECISIONS
HAD RENDERED THESE EXPLANATIONS ON GOTRA.

There is no harm in Sagotra marriage if the individuals are not related for
six generations on both maternal and paternal sides. This is expressed in
chapter 5 of Manu smriti in mantra 60, which states, सपिण्डता तु पुरुषे
सप्तमे विनिवर्तते । समानोदकभावस्तु जन्मनाम्नोरवेदने, which means that
sapinda ends after seven generations. Section 5(v) of Hindu Marriage Act
1955 also prohibits Sapinda relationship but there is no restriction of
Sagotra marriage.

In the 1945 case of Madhavrao vs Raghavendra Rao, which involved a
Deshastha Brahmin couple, the definition of gotra as descending from eight
sages and then branching out to several families was thrown out by the
Bombay High Court. The court called the idea of Brahmin families descending
from an unbroken line of common ancestors as indicated by the names of
their respective gotras "impossible to accept." The court consulted
relevant Hindu texts and stressed the need for Hindu society and law to
keep up with the times, emphasizing that notions of good social behaviour
and the general ideology of the Hindu society had changed. The court also
said that the material in the Hindu texts is so vast and full of
contradictions that it is a near-impossible task to reduce it to order and
coherence.

NORTH WRITERS DO BELIEVE THAT*: “VATSA GOTRIANS* AMONG THE SARASWAT BRAHMINS

Goddess Saraswati is the tutelary mother of Saraswats, Lord Brahma being
their tutelary father. Lord Brahma approved all the Saraswat Brahmins to
adopt their kinship based on the lineage with great sages. Accordingly, the
gotras of Godddes Saraswati Brahmins  is believed to be originated from the
Rishis viz. ATRI, KAASHYAP, KAUNDINYA, KAUSHIK, GAUTAMA, JAMADAGNYA,
BHARADWAAJ, VASISHTTH, and VISHWAMITRA (KAMSHI). But, Lord Brahma adopted
some among them and called them as VATSA. Traditionally, it is also
believed that the Vatsa Gotra is belongs to Jamadagni Rishi lineage.
Bhargava Parashuram was the fifth son of Jamadagni Rishi (other four being
Rumnnwaan, Sushenn, Vasu and Vishwaavasu). So, it is possible that because
of their in borne virtues, Sage Jamadagni might have adopted Saraswat
Brahmins belonging to the Vatsa Gotra. Bhargava Parashuram brought
sixty-six families from ten scholarly kinsmen (DASHA-GOTRI SARASWAT
BRAHMINS) from the then holy place namely TRIHOTRA for purification of the
reclaimed land of Konkan. They were Atri, Kaashyap, Kaundinya, Kaushik
(Kaunsa), Gautama, Jamadagnya, Bharadwaaj, Vatsa, Vasishtth, and
Vishwamitra. So, Vatsa gotra was already therein as one among the ten
gotras.

Vatsa-Kaannva, Vatsapri-Bhaalndan and Vatsa-Agneya are known as
contributors of Rig-Veda. Vatsa-Kaannva was the son of Kaannva. He
contributed to the eighth 'manddal' out of 10 'manddal' of Rig-Veda.

The sixth 'sukta' (incitation no. 8.6.46-48) mentions of Tirinder, who was
also known as Parshwya, the king of Parshu-desh (Persia i. e. Iran). Hemadri
has also made his mention. Coincidently, Hemadri belonged to Vatsa gotra.
Hemadd Pandit, one of the celebrated personalities from the twelfth century and
prime minister of the Deogiri Empire belonged to the Vatsa gotra.
Vatsapri-Bhaalndan contributed to the ninth and tenth 'manddal' out of 10
'manddal' of Rig-Veda. The 68th sukta of the ninth and 45th and 46th sukta
of the tenth 'manddal' make a mention of Pawamaan Soam and Agni. His name
also surfaces in 'Panchvinsha Brahman (12.11.25) as a contributor to Sam
Veda. It is known as 'Vaatspra'. His name is also referred in Taittariya
Samhita ( 5.2.1.6), Kaatthak Samhita (19.12), Maitraayanni Samhita (3.2.2),
and Shatapath Brahman (6.4.4.1). Vatsa-Agneya had contributed to the tenth
'manddal' of 10 of Rig-Veda, (incitation no. 10.187) eulogizing Agni. One
is reminded of Vatsa-Kaannva, who too had lauded Agni.

While the 96 families of Saraswat Brahmins had already left for Konkan
under the leadership of Bhargava Parashuram, others were engrossed in for
several centuries, in creating own domain for farming and rearing cows so
as to concentrate on their normal religious activities. This lineage was so
mighty that, later on, Vatsa gotrians formed one of the sixteen powerful
provinces ('Janpada') in the north India on the bank of Yamuna, during the
6th century. This land was known as Vatsa.”