Devi Saraswati’s ‘Puja Vidhana’and ‘Kavacha’
                                                   Essence Of Brahma
Vaivarta Purana

Having described that Durga, Radha, Lakshmi, Saraswati and Savitri were the
Pancha Prakritis, Narayana Maharshi told Narada Muni that Shri Krishna
performed worship to Prakriti’s ‘Amshabhuta Kala Swarupa Devis’viz. Vaani,
Vasundhara, Ganga, Shashthi, Mangala Chandika, Tulasi, Manasa, Nidra,
Swadha, Swaahaa and Dakshina. Shri Krishna said that in terms of ‘Teja’
(Radiance), ‘Rupa’ (Form) and ‘Gunas’ (Features), these Eleven Devis were
as significant as his own. As the details of worship of Durga, Radha and
Lakshmi would be taken up later, Narayana Rishi desired to describe the
Puja Vidhana of Devi Saraswati first.

Devi Saraswati’s worship is the most auspicious on Megha Shukla Panchami as
ordained by Shri Krishna when all over the Universe the Puja as also‘
Vidyaarambha ( initiation of Studies) is performed by human beings,
Manuganas, Devatas, Muniganas, Vasus, Yogis, Siddhas, Nagas, Gandharvas and
Rakshasas with the traditional ‘Shodashopacharas’ by invoking Saraswati
into a Kalasha or a Book. Then puja should be done to six Devatas viz.
Ganesha, Surya, Agni, Vishnu, Shiva, and Devi Parvati before performing
Puja to Devi Saraswati. For ‘Naivedya’/ Offering, the mix of butter, curd,
milk, white sesame, sugarcane juice, jaggery, white rice, ghee, etc. should
be the ‘Havishaanna’. White flowers, white Chandana, white Vastra, and
white decoratives would all be the inputs for the Puja. Then would be
followed Dhyana (Meditation), Kavacha, Mula Mantra and regular puja. The
Dhyana would describe the Deity as having Shukla Varna (white complexion)
of great beauty and smile, well dressed with white robes, with one hand
carrying a Book, both the hands a ‘Veena’instrument, adorned with jewellery
and white flower garlands, with Brahma-Vishnu and Shiva nearby and
surrounded by Devatas, Munis, Manus and Manavas executing prostrations.

    The Ashtaakshara Vaidika Mula Mantra is: Shreem Hreem Saraswatyai
Swaahaa/ Bhagavan Narayana gave ‘Upadesha’ (administering) of this Mantra
to Valmika Muni on the banks of River Ganga; Bhrigu Muni gave Upadesha to
Shukra during a ‘Surya grahana’ (Solar Eclipse); Marichi’s son Kashyapa
Muni gave the Upadesha to Deva Guru Brihaspati during Chandra Grahana
(Lunar Eclipse); Brahma gave the Upadesha to Bhrigu Muni at Badarika Ashram
and so on. Without Upadesha, the Mula Mantra is ineffective, but once
Upadesha is performed, the Mantra becomes a powerful tool in enhancing
thinking capability and widening mental horizons. Sarasvati Kavacha titled
Vishwa Vijaya (as provided by Brahma to Bhrigu) is as follows:

Shrunu Vatsa pravakshaami Kavacham Sarva Kaamadam,

Shruti saaram Shruti Sukham Shrutyuktam Shruti pujitam/

Uktam Krishnena Golokey Mahyam Brindaa -vaney Vaney,

Raaseshvarena Vibhunaa Raaseyvai Raasa mandaley/

Ateeva gopaneeyam chaKalpavriksha samam param,

Ashrutaadbhuta manraanaam Samuhai -scha samanvitam/

Yad dhrutwaa Bhagavaacchhrukrah Sarava daityeshu pujitah,

Yad dhrutwaa pathanaad Brahman Buddhimaamscha Brihaspatih/

Pathaanaddhaaranaad gaami Kaveendro Vaalmiko Munih,

Swaayambhuvo Manuschaiva yaddhrutwaa Sarva pujitah/

Kanaado Gautamah Kanvah Paaninih Shakataayanah,

Grandhah chakaara yad dhrutwaa Dakshah Kaatyaayanah Swayam/

Shaataatapascha Samvartho Vashishthascha Paraasharah,

Yad dhutwaa pathanaad grandham Yagjnyavalkyas -chakaara sah/

Sushyashringo Bharadwajas -chaasteeko Devalastathaa,

Jaigeesha vyotha Jaabaalir yad dhrutvaa Sarva pujitaah/

(Brahma told Bhrigu that he was giving a Kavacha of Saraswati which was the
essence of Shrutis, which was sonorous to the ears, proposed in Vedas and
fully approved. Raaseshwara Bhagavan Shri Krishna in Goloka where
Raasamandalis were in progress preached this Kavacha which was confidential
and unheard by anybody earlier. Shukraachaarya became worthy of worship by
all Daityas due to this Kavacha. Brihaspati’s mental sharpness came about
due to the power of this. Valmiki came to be known as a ‘Kaveeswara’ only
due to the might of this Kavacha. Swayambhu Manu came to be revered due to
its constant Recitation. The famous writers viz. Kanaad, Gautam, Kanva,
Panini, Shaakataayan, Daksha and Kaatyaayana gained reputation due to this
Kavacha. So did Veda Vyasa, Shatatapa, Samvarta, Vasishtha, Paraashara,
Yaagnyavakya, Rishyashringa, Bharadwaja, Aasteeka, Devala, Jaigeeshya, and
Jaabaali script their masterpieces by power of the recitation of this
‘Kavacha’).

Kavachasyaascha Viprendra Rishireva Prajapatih,

Swayam chhandascha Brihati Devataa Shaaradaambika/

Sarva tatwa parignaaney Sarvaardha saadhaneshucha,

Kavitaasu cha Sarvaasu viniyogah prakeertitah/

Shreem Hreem Sarasvatyai Swaha Shiromey paatu Sarvatah/

Shree Vaagdevataayai swaahaa bhaalam mey sarvadaavatu/

Om Saraswatyai swaaheti shrotrey paatu nirantaram,

Om Shreem Hreem Bhaaratyai swaahaa netra yugmam sadaavatu/

Aim hreem Vaagvaadinyai swaahaa naasaam mey sarvatovatu,

Om Hreem Vidyaadhishthaatu Devyai Swaahaa oshtham sadaavatu/

Om Shrim Hreem baahvyai swaaheti danta panktim sadaavatu,

Emityekaaksharo Mantro mama kantham sadaavatu/

Om Shreem Hreem paatu mey greevaam skandhoumey Shreem sadaavatu,

Om Shreem Vidyaadhishtaatru Devayai swaahaa vakshah sadaavatu/

Om Hreem Vidyaaswarupaayai swaahaamey paatu naabhikaam,

Om Hreem kleem Vaanyai swaaheti mama hastow sadaavatu/

Om Sarva varnaatmikaayai paada yugmam sadaavatu,

Om Vaagaadhishthaatu Devyai swaaha Sarvam sadaavatu/

Om Sarva kantha vaasinyai swaahaa praachyaam sadaavatu,

Om Hreem Jihvaagra vaasinyai swaahaagnidishi rakshatu/

Om Aaim Hreem Shreem Kleem Saraswatyai Budha jananyai Swaahaa,

Satatam Mantra raajeyam dakshiney -maam sadaavatu/

Aim Hreem Shreem Trayksharo Mantro Naairyuttyaam mey sadaavatu,

Kavi jihvaagra vaasinyai swaaha maam vaarunovatu/

Om Sarvaambi -kaayai swaahaa vaayavye maam sadaavatu,

Om Aim Shreem Gadya padya vaasinyai swaahaa maamuttharevatu/

Aim Sarva shastra vaasinyai swahaishaanyam sadaavatu,

Om Hreem Sarva pujitaayai swaahachhodhruvam sadaavatu/

Aim Hreem Pustaka vaasinyai swaahaadho maam sadaavatu,

Om Grandha rupaayai swaahaa maam sarvatovatu/

Iti tey kathitam Vipra Brahma mantraugha vigraham,

Idam Viswa jayam naama Kavacham Brahma rupakam/

Puraashrutam Dharma vaktraat Parvatey Gandhamaadaney,

Tawa sneyhaanmaya khyaatam pravarttavyam na kasyachit/

Gurumabhyarchya vidhivadsnaanaalamkaara chanadanaih,

Pranamya dandavavad -bhumou kavacham dhaarayet sudheeh/

Pancha laksha japeynaiva siddham tu Kavacham bhavet,

Yadi syaat siddha kavacho Brihaspati samo bhavet/

Mahaavaagmi Kaveendrascha Trailokya vijayee bhavet,

Shakroti sarvam jeytum cha Kavachasya prasaadatah/

(Viprendra! Prajapati is the Rishi to this Kavacha; Brihati is the Chhanda;
Mother Sharada is the Adhishthaatri Devi; the ‘Prayoga’ (application) of
this Kavacha is an attempt to realise the meaning of ‘Tatwa parigyana’ or
the knowledge of Tatwas and a synthesis of Kavitas (Poetry) and their
absorptive capacity. Shraddha is given as my sacrifice to Shreem-Hreem-
Swarupini Saraswati and I request that she must please guard my head from
all the directions. I offer my Shraddha to Om Shreem ‘Vaag Devata’ and I
implore her to secure my forehead; I offer my devotion to Om Hreem
Bhagavati Saraswati and I beseech her to keep my ears intact; my surrender
to Om Shreem Hreem Bhagavati Bharati and my sincere request to her is to
protect my eyes; my prostration to Aim-Hreem Swarupini Vagdevi with the
supplication to shield my nose; my submission to Om Shreem Hreem Vidya
Adhishthaatri and appeal to her to safe-guard my ‘danta-pankti’ or row of
teeth; ‘Aim’ is the letter with which I offer my reverences to Devi
Sarasvati and I seek her kindness to keep my throat in tact; with humility
I approach Om Shreem Hreem Vidya Swarupi to save my navel; may Om Hreem
Kleem Swarupi Devi Vaani strengthen my hands with power as I bow my head to
her with respects; I approach Om Swarupini Bhagavati ‘Sarva Varnaatmika’ my
unreserved humbleness with the folded hands to secure my feet; Let my very
existence which is owed to Omkaara Devi be fortified by my earnest prayer
to provide me all-round safety. Mother Saraswati Veda Swarupa! do provide
my safety from the Eastern side; I offer my Shraddha to Om Hreem Swarupini
to kindly protect me from the ‘Agneya’ side; You are the Mantra Swarupa of
Om Aim Hreem Kleem Saraswatyai Budha Jananyai Swaaha; please safeguard me
from the Southern direction. May the Tryakshara Mantra of Aim Hreem Shreem
keep me safe from the Nirruti Kona’. As the tip of my tongue is dedicated
to Om Swarupini, kindly protect my western disha. May Bhagavati Sarvaambika
keep safe of my ‘Vaayavya kona’; may Gadya-Padya Nivaasini in the Form of
‘Om Aim’ keep safe my northern direction; the Sampurna Shastra ‘Aim
Swarupini’ who is worshipped by one and all is an emblem of Mercy and
should strengthen my ‘Ishana’ direction; from above the top of my being,
may ‘Om Shreem Swarupi’ help me to protect always; the mother of Vidya who
resides in Sacred books is revered by sincere prostration and may her
secure me down under; and finally, my obeisances to you Om Swarupini and
Grandha beeja rupa! Preserve me safe from all directions). Recitation of
this Kavacha yields memory power, mental sharpness and immense knowledge.
Its recitation by five lakh times would definitely yield ‘Parama Siddhis’
to excel Deva Guru Brihaspati!

K Rajaram IRS 20624 21624