It is good to know. But speaking about the price rise alone shows that you
are aged. Nothing else. In 1920s my grandfather used to buy one
sovereign out of the allowances he got apart from salary from L G
asafoetida for 15 days work in Tanjore trichy districts. That allowance was
Rs 8/-  One sov was Rs8. we had 1000 acres of land in eragaram swamimalai
where he used to watch the agri operation and earned extra in the spare
time; wearing a dhoti and thundu with thick tuft , walking all over;
visiting madras when I was a kid later when he gave me the coin one by one
for scoring ranks and marks in RKM. Then he told me how gold was so cheap
and then cost so high. That is how Mr Giri also says now. But what was the
salary then ?  My ththa was paid Rs 25 pm; and he used to say he had no
expense at all; he had all from the field and garden. His dress is 2 piece;
his wife 8 sarees 16 yards per annum that too from ordered in Tari. Yes
income increased and expenses too along with struggle even if you had money
but had water from the tap and milk in glass bottles. I earned more than
what he did; but had a struggle with anxiety in service and life though
living with all pomp when price was sky high i said then. But today the
value of my gold runs in lakhs and I earn more pension than my salary. IN
SHORT, EVERY INCREASE IS SUPPORTED BY INCREASE IN INCOME AND STRUGGLES TO
ACHIEVE WAS TOUGHER; AND HAD YOU CONVERTED THE INCOME PARALLEL TO
SOVEREIGN FROM THEN TILL DATE, MORE OR LESS YOUR INCOME IN TERM OF RUPEES
MULTIPLIED, BUT IN TERM OF SOVEREIGN IS ALMOST THE SAME STAGNATING.  You
increased the price of gold and in turn the cost by bad consumption unlike
my grandparents who did not know what to do with the money and their
relations even stole their money. On the contrary I find, my timers means
all of you, who left for the USA then had home and garden in an acreage
with bountiful facilities; and who left as my son bought residences in 5000
to 10000 sq ft with huge backyard homes in several states earning rent
today. And those who are entering now find it difficult to pay rent and so
returning back to India to do farming has saved a lot not only by 401K but
by shares sold. Maybe the USA might soon become like India.  Till the
dollar rules high but the Euro is also standardised. China may overtake
while islamic countries may go down; China's economy is uncertain though
flashing circular lights rind roads in the 100s and magic bridges laid down
all over China. Thus USA may talk about price rise but in India it is
different K Rajaram IRS  61024 LESSON : DO NOT MULTIPLY DOLLAR BY INDIAN
CONVERSION.