Title: AOL Email

Treason: Chapter 1 - Home Sweet Home

The web of our life is of a mingled yarn, good and ill together
- William Shakespeare, All's Well that Ends Well

***

The air in the house was still warm from the day, not even the closed shutters had been able to keep the heat outside. A smell of dust and old leather was lingering in the hallways, adding to the general atmosphere of the building. Everything seemed old in here, but in a remarkably good condition. Vases, statues, canvases... historians would have happily killed for just one tenth of the items collected in here.

The inhabitants did not care about them at all, and did not even look at them consciously. There was no need for them to do so, they knew exactly what the things looked like, how they felt. They had watched the crafting of a few of them.

Jesse was in the library sorting the new books she had purchased during her latest journey to Calcutta. She enjoyed living in India, to see the places again where she had already been once with the Talamasca, while researching cases of reincarnation. Knowing a country made returning to it a lot easier, and there was a lot here that connected her to her mortal life. She knew that Maharet disapproved if she went off to see old friends, she wanted Jesse to cut all her bonds with the mortal world as soon as possible. But Jesse wanted to spend time with her acquaintances and friends as long as she was able to. Soon the danger that they would notice her stagnating age would be too great, and she would have to leave them behind. The few years she had left she wanted to enjoy.

Life here was peaceful, and she loved to sit in Maharet's study and help her creator and many times removed mother to update the records of the Great Family. It amazed her that Maharet had been able to keep track of nearly every branch of the family, hardly anybody ever got out of sight. Jesse had been typing a lot of Maharet's old writings into the computer and had created a database with the names. Currently she was working on cross-referencing the entries.

She could tell that Mael and Eric were not exactly interested in the work she and Maharet were doing, but that did not matter. The two male vampires would entertain themselves elsewhere, and they had not complained yet. Sometimes Jesse wondered who of the two was Maharet's lover; she knew that it had to be one of them, but she had seen both Eric and Mael leave Maharet's bedroom from time to time. It was not that she cared; after a brief affair with Mael she had no longer been interested in him, and Eric was absolutely out of the question. He could be an amicable companion for one evening, but after some time he inevitably became bored by whatever she was doing, and would mock her mercilessly for it.

It bothered her that she could not read his thoughts; during her mortal life she had become a little too dependent on her telepathic abilities for her own good. Judging the emotions of a person just by means of their voice and body language was not always an easy task. But Jesse and Eric were too close to the primal fount to be able to hear each other. The connection was too close, and it was the same with Khayman.

The ancient Egyptian had visited them only a few times, and Jesse suspected that Mael and Eric were relieved every time he left. She was not sure if they saw a concurrent or a danger in him, but she did not care about it a lot. To her Khayman was a charming being, and she enjoyed being in his company. She loved him, but it was a daughter's love, not a lover's.

Balancing a stack of books in her arms, Jesse carefully took to the air to put them into one of the top shelves. Had she still been mortal, she would have had to get a ladder to accomplish this. Immortal powers had advantages in everyday situations.

"Jesse!" Eric was calling her, the usual teasing edge in his voice. He looked at her as a child and let her know it. Sometimes she felt like hitting him for it, but Maharet had made it clear that she wanted harmony in her home. Jesse had bowed her head to the rule.

"I am coming," she called back, shoved the last book into its place and left the library. She briefly wondered what he wanted; maybe he was up to hunting and looking for company.

She found him in the living room, he was sorting through the mail. Four neat stacks of letters were on the table in front of him. When he heard Jesse come, he handed her one of them. She took them and quickly looked at the senders when she felt Eric's eyes on her.

"What?" she asked, a hint of defiance in her voice. She did not feel like answering his prying questions right now.

"May I ask why you get postcards from Santino?"

"You read my mail?" Jesse stared at him angrily.

"Yes. So why does he send you a card?"

"If you read it, you should have noticed that it is not only from him but also from Pandora. She promised to stay in contact with me when we last met, and I suppose that Santino just signed the card. Why do you ask, are you jealous?" Eric shot her a questioning look, he tried to find out what she was thinking. Once again she could see the frustration on his face when he remembered that he could not read her.

"Jealous of Pandora?" He gave a little laugh. "Why should I be jealous of her?." Jesse raised an eyebrow to indicate that she did not entirely believe him. She remembered that the first time she had seen Eric he had been in the company of Santino, but she had never again seen them together. If they had ever been lovers she did not know, and she had never felt like asking. But she had noticed that Eric tensed every time Santino's name was mentioned. Or Pandora's, for that matter. Jesse could tell that Eric did not exactly like the female Roman vampire, and she supposed that Santino had something to do with it.

"Because the last time we all met she and Santino left together, and because they have stayed together ever since." Eric stiffened, and looked at Jesse coldly.

"That was only a year ago, that they are traveling together does not mean anything."

"If it makes you happy to believe that..." Jesse shrugged. Eric had been edgier than usual since Lestat's supposed journey to Heaven and Hell. Something bothered him about it, and she couldn't quite put her finger on what it was exactly. She doubted that he was concerned about Mael's well-being.

The druid had stepped into the sun two days after Armand in a half-hearted attempt to kill himself, or maybe just to see what effects the light would have on him. They had dragged him away, Maharet and Jesse, into a safe place where they had rested for the day. And as soon as the night had come again, Jesse had been sent off to India with him to take care of him while he healed.

She had never asked why Maharet had not come with them. Her maker had returned a month later, a worn out look on her face, and had refused to talk of what had kept her in New Orleans. Jesse had later heard tales, but she did not believe them. It was unthinkable that Maharet would have chained Lestat up in a basement, no matter what state he was in.

"Stop it." Jesse was startled, she hadn't noticed that she had been staring at Eric. "You know nothing." Eric stood, nearly turning over the chair he had been sitting on, and went to the window. Leaning heavily on the sill, he stared out into the night.

"I may lack your enormous experience, but I am not stupid." Eric gave her a malevolent smile.

"That remains debatable." Jesse fought the urge to comment on this and chose that silence was maybe the best answer. Eric had clearly expected her to say something, but she did not feel like having yet another battle of words with him. He had had thirty centuries to practice his stinging comments, and the experience showed.

Gripping her letters, she turned to leave the room. And froze.

"Yes, Armand, we will be there tomorrow evening."

Lestat sounded annoyed, Louis thought, but he seemed to be acting a great deal of it. Listening to Lestat and Armand on the phone was something well worth interrupting his reading, even though Louis could only hear Lestat's side of the talk.

"Well, what did you expect? Should I have waited for somebody to let me in? I would still be standing on your balcony if I had done that. You should be grateful that I didn't break the door." Lestat chuckled. "Don't worry, we will use the door bell, though it is definitely not my style."

Louis shook his head in loving exasperation. Lestat would never stop trying to live up to the concept he had created of himself. The Vampire Lestat, the name stood for everything Lestat wanted to be. And Louis knew that struggling to live up to the standards he had set himself was tiring Lestat more than he wanted to admit.

"Mon Dieu, Armand! You sound as if you think I will bring Armageddon with me..." Louis could imagine Armand's answer on that one. Lestat had a certain ability to attract trouble, and Louis had found that Armand was nearly as talented at it. Sometimes he wondered why those two always had a feud going; they were so similar. Probably that was the reason, they could not stand having another being close who acted as a mirror, reflecting their soul.

Lestat finished the call and came over to Louis, who was sitting on the sofa, the book he had been reading still in his hand. Curiously, Lestat took it and looked at the title, then frowned as he returned it to Louis.

"Dracula? Louis, why do you read that?" Louis sighed, he was not sure if he should bother trying to explain to Lestat that he rather enjoyed reading Bram Stoker's work. It was fiction, and an interesting read. Besides, Louis had become fond of the Victorian writers during the last months and had devoured Mary Shelley's writings as well as Lord Byron's poems. They were dark, but strangely comforting; as if the authors had known of a world that existed within their own yet could not be seen. Louis lived in this world, as did all the other vampires, witches and immortals he had heard of. And he felt that a few mortals had caught a glimpse of their domain.

"I don't see why I should not. Stoker's style is very interesting." Lestat's eyes went wide as always when he listened to Louis talking about some book or other.

"If you want to read a vampire story, why do you have to take the one of that boring Irish? Why not read mine, or Armand's, or Pandora's?" Louis smiled gently, the way an adult smiled at a child before he tried to explain something which he knew the other would not understand.

"Dracula is fiction, it is a tale while the books written by you and the others contain our history. And I do not want to read of all that again."

What he did not mention was that it still hurt him to read of Lestat's love for Akasha, no matter that she had died fifteen years ago. The evidence was in the books, that was one reason why Louis dreaded them. They were the collected proofs and confirmations of everything that had happened, and very often he would not want to be reminded of it. His own years, decades of suffering and self-loathing, the pain to find Lestat only to have him ripped away again. Armand's story had not hurt him nearly as much as Lestat's. Sure, there were triggering elements in it, and Louis had cried when he had read of the horrors Claudia had gone through before her death. But he had felt strangely detached; this all had happened a long time ago, the memories were beginning to fade.

Running his hand over the smooth cover of the book, Louis leaned back on the sofa and gave Lestat a questioning look.

"Are we still going to visit them tomorrow?"

"Yes, though I swear Armand is becoming far too materialistic these days." Louis laughed softly, running a hand through his hair.

"And that from you?"

"I was never materialistic," Lestat stated with an authority in his voice that made Louis feel that commenting on this was not the wisest thing to do if he did not want to spend the rest of the evening listening to Lestat's proofs for his argument.

"Of course you were not."

Contented, Lestat smiled and touched Louis' cheek with his fingertips.

"I knew you would agree with me. Do you think we should bring them presents? Sybelle would certainly like a new piano, wouldn't she?" Louis sighed.

"Lestat, you only sent her a piano two weeks ago. Marius' house is not that spacious, and he must have one of the things standing in every room by now."

Lestat shook his head. "I am sure he has not. Can you imagine a piano in his kitchen?" Louis began to laugh quietly, which appeared to encourage Lestat. "Or the bathroom, so Sybelle could play while she is soaking in the tub?"

"You are being silly, stop it" The blond vampire looked startled.

"How did you find out?" Louis gave him a stern look.

"Stop it."

"Kiss me and I will stop immediately." Expectantly Lestat closed his eyes, waiting for Louis to do what he had told him. Louis smiled and bent forward. A moment before touching Lestat's lips he pulled back, and brought the book he was still holding to his lover's mouth.

Lestat's eyes snapped open in surprise, and he growled at Louis.

"Tomorrow we may be invited, but not tonight." Faster than Louis could even think of it, he was caught in Lestat's arms and pinned to the couch underneath his lover's body. He tried to get away, but stopped writhing as soon as Lestat kissed him gently, running his fingers through Louis' hair and tickling the nape of his neck.

The sound of a fly buzzing through the room was the only noise that could be heard. The insect was drawn to the small lamp on the desk, and kept flying against it until it died in the heat of the light bulb.

Jesse didn't dare to move, not even when she felt a cold brush of air when Eric moved to stand at her side. She didn't even remember to breathe. She only stared at the sight that presented itself to her.

In the door frame, half into the room, stood Mekare, or what Jesse thought had to be her. She had only seen the old vampire once, and that had been so shortly after her death that she had not really taken notice of her. But now Mekare held Jesse's undivided attention. She looked white, nearly translucent, as if she had not fed for too long. Her face was gaunt; had she starved? Green eyes poised on Jesse, she slowly rose a hand that was coated in dirt. After a moment Jesse broke the eye contact, she could impossibly continue looking at this face that was so similar to Maharet's and at the same time so different.

A small noise came from Mekare, a sound of disappointment and disapproval. She was looking at Eric now, and he held her gaze, not blinking once. Jesse could see her eyes widen; what was she trying to do? Then she realized. Mekare, unable to talk, was attempting to communicate with them, and could not hear them, could not reach their minds because they were too close to her. It frightened Jesse only to think of it, to imagine being unable to talk to anybody. Unconsciously, she reached for Eric's hand, and to her surprise he did not pull away but squeezed her fingers reassuringly. She could feel that he was trembling a little; he was scared too of this sight. Jesse prayed for Maharet to come back; but her maker would only be back in a few nights, she had traveled to Moscow with Mael to visit relatives.

"We have to take her back," Eric whispered. Jesse nodded slowly. How had Mekare been able to escape at all? Maharet had always said that it would be impossible for her to escape the hiding place. She had said that nobody would ever be able to reach the Queen, and that she had taken all precautions necessary to prevent Mekare from walking into the sun, unconscious of what she was doing. Did the Queen know that she was the source of life for all vampires? Was she aware of that?

"But how?"

Eric looked at her, then at Mekare. "We lead her back... She hopefully won't resist. We cannot leave her up here."

"Alright. Tell me what to do." Jesse noticed that Mekare was intensely listening to their words, as if she understood them. But she couldn't know what they had said, could she? Maharet had said that her twin had never learned to speak any modern languages, and she could not read Jesse's and Eric's mind to find out what they were talking about.

Eric moved towards the silent figure slowly, Jesse could see that he was carefully avoiding all disjointed movements. He was behaving as if he was trying to capture an untamed animal, and Jesse disapproved of this. She knew that they had to bring Mekare back into her refuge, but there was no reason to treat her as if she was mad. But hadn't Maharet said that the Queen was mindless? Jesse did not know what she should believe. When she went with Eric she felt as if she was doing something wrong, as if she had no right to do this.

Mekare watched their movements attentively, she appeared to be making a plan to escape them. Jesse had seen this look on cats when they were trapped in a corner. And cats used their claws if they could not escape...

Finally Eric was close enough to touch her. He slowly lifted one hand and touched Mekare's shoulder. She did not do anything but turn her head to look at him. Jesse sighed with relief, she had feared that the Queen would react instinctively to the touch, like Lestat had done while in the coma.

"Help me. We have to bring her back to the refuge." Eric had both hands on Mekare's shoulders now, and was beginning to exert pressure. Mekare opened her mouth in silent protest, then took a step forward, into the room.

"Please, Mekare," Jesse pleaded. "You have to go back, you cannot be here." Mekare stared at her, and Jesse saw something like understanding in her eyes. Understanding, but not agreement. Frowning, Mekare shook her head, slowly, very slowly.

"Mekare!" Eric sounded impatient. "You cannot possibly stay here!" He pushed again, and this time stepped back a little. "Jesse, help me, I cannot get her back on my own. Together we should be strong enough." He stepped behind Mekare, and his hands on her arms, he tried to pull her while Jesse watched, not sure what she should do. She was strangely reminded of the first aid course she had had to do when she had done her driving license; the way Eric attempted to drag Mekare away looked like a grip they had learned to get injured people off the street. She finally put her hands on Mekare's shoulders, tried to push her while Eric kept pulling. They managed to move her a few steps backwards, but then Mekare began fighting their efforts and made it impossible to bring her away.

Eric shook his head, he was pale with tension. He knew as well as Jesse what it would mean if they could not take Mekare down into the refuge. She might accidentally kill them all, without even knowing that she was doing it.

"We could try to carry her," Jesse suggested. Eric nodded, and put his arms around Mekare's chest while Jesse bent down to lift her legs.

The next thing she knew was that she was flying through the air. Her body hit the wall a fraction of a second before her head did. The sound she heard could only have come from broken bones; and she could feel blood flow from the back of her head. When she tried to move the room was spinning around her; groaning in pain, she slumped down to the floor, helplessly watching the scene that unfolded before her eyes.

Eric used Mekare's distraction with Jesse to drag her nearly completely out of the room. But now the ancient vampire turned around, faced him. Eric was beginning to tremble, he fell to the floor and began to crawl towards Jesse, one outstretched hand reaching for her. Jesse wanted to help him, she tried to get up only to be slammed back against the wall by an invisible force.

When he had reached the middle of the room, Eric tried to get on his feet again. He nearly managed, but then broke down again, clutching his head. Blood was flowing from his nostrils, and he was turning pale as if he felt intense pain. Mekare followed him slowly, and Jesse could have sworn that she had a satisfied smile on her face. Helplessly she watched as Mekare sat down on the sofa, on the same spot she herself preferred. She could feel that she was close to fainting; she had the eerie feeling of having gone through this already. Hadn't she had a fractured skull before? Thinking hurt, she tried not to do it, to let her mind drift.

A scream, then there was fire in the room. Eric was burning, Jesse could see his silhouette surrounded by flames. It looked pretty when she did not think of it that it was a friend who was dying in front of her eyes. But could he die in a fire at all? She was not sure about that. Maharet had not known if Akasha would be able to kill her fledglings; could Mekare do it? It looked as if she would find out.

The figure - no, Eric- was rolling on the floor in a useless attempt to extinguish the flames that engulfed him. The heat of the fire burned on Jesse's cheeks; this was much hotter than normal flames would be. It hurt her, she felt her skin redden almost immediately. Another scream, more a wail, and another.

Jesse smelled burned hair, burned flesh; she tried to ignore the stench, but it was impossible. She saw Mekare rise, saw her walk towards the window. Would she open it? Yes, she did, but why? She could not find an answer for that question, and continued watching Eric, who was writhing in pain. The screams grew louder.

And then there was silence. Only ashes indicated that there had been a third being in the room seconds ago.

Then the room was on fire. And Mekare was gone.

Come one come all Mortals who are willing to stick their neck out for a vampire to feed upon.  We will be willing to share our Dark Gift to you mortals if you pass our test.

Yahoo! Groups Links