Louis, my eternity
Lost, in centuries of your own innocence.
Steeped in the history of  the ancients
Yet unable to resign yourself to your Fate.
You were the first to bravely come forward –
Your courage never  failed you then.
Yet how hard it was for you to understand your  power.
You saw it as a curse, never a gift.
Eternity awaits you, but your  melancholy eyes
Long ever more for the light of mortal day.
How I long to help you. As I hold you
In my arms and kiss your ivory  skin –
The soothing embrace of the mother you never knew –
I hear your silent cries for mercy.
You want me to release you, but  I know
I never will. Your agony is mine –
Our hearts will always beat in time –
But I cannot give you your  freedom.
Mine is not the hand that heals –
Not this time. God, but, Louis, how I wish
You could understand.  Your curse is my life.
Without you I am nothing. I guess in our own  ways
We need each other.
My Louis, unwilling victim of another.
Beguiled by his beauty, as I  was by yours.
A preternatural love, this, to last so long
Without consummation.
And sometimes, beyond your sadness, I can see
The bitter reality in  your tear-stained face –
In streaks of blood I see your pain, your  anger
Unstoppable flow of anguish.
And my eyes bleed for you, Louis, tears  are
Blood and salt on my mortal skin as I share
A part of your suffering.
Oh, my love...
You've seen so much. I can but marvel at your life,
That is beyond  life, and grieve at your fears,
At the wonderful gift
That is slowly  destroying you.
I can but grieve...
[10th December  1992]