This is shorter even than my usual. I know that I said that  the Meditations
could be read in any order and they can; but this  one just might be called a
companion piece to "Paper Thin Wings."  It's the glimpse at the opposite end
of the diurnal clock. You can  read either in whatever order suits you, or
neither if you'd rather.
Disclaimer: Various titles, names and ideas were first put  into print by
Anne Rice and I shan't contest her for them - these  little pieces are sheerly
for pleasure.
Spoilers: Once again, not really any. Or all, if you'd like  to think of it
that way.

Meditations in No Particular Order
Ilah  Sef
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
April 1999

The day was bright and hot, the summer sun beating down with  single minded
intensity. I can glimpse it in the warmth that lingers  in the grass blades
beneath my hand as I lower myself to the soft  ground of the garden.
The changing of the guard still revolves about me, the fiery day
relinquishing his hold only reluctantly to the night's gentler  hands. Above,
the sky
still shades into the brilliant hues of sunset  against the horizon, the stars
only daring to peek forth in the  darkest patches of midnight blue. The moon,
fat and heavy, hangs low  upon the sky.
But here, where the warmth lingers beneath me and the heady  scents of grass
and perfume of flowers swirl in an intoxicating  blend, the ghosts of the
former day may be called forth merely by  closing one's eyes. The gardener has
come, the sharp smell of  clipped grass is everywhere, fresh and green. I
breath
in deep, let  it spill across my tongue as I exhale until it is like the
remnant  of long forgotten tastes. Far away I can hear the passing of a  single
car
upon the road, the drone of it blending with the closer  chirrup of some
evening insect.
Transition. The passing of the riotous day to the still of the  night. Too
often I sleep through it, waking briefly from the death  sleep only to pass
once
more into dozing dreams until the moon rises  higher overhead. But to wake at
this hour, to rise and walk and see.  . . it is a time of relaxation, as the
world about me winds slowly  to a close. The brilliance of the sunset, so
close I might reach out  and touch it if only. . . if only. . .
I close my eyes, let the dreams take me. Paint the sky above me a  lustrous
blue, rich and brilliant and alive with the wings of birds  and butterflies,
the hum of insects and the pulsing beat of life.  Beneath me the ground sings
with its own life, the feather touch of  small ants, the heated dirt and
grasses.
Scent and touch awaken images long gone, until the proud roses  against their
dark leaves raise their heads and spread their petals  to the sunny sky,
heady perfume, delicate and heavy. Flowers I have  no names for, pink and white
and yellow, shades of lavender and cool  blue. A rainbow of colors and scents,
feast of experience. In the  early evening I recreate them against the canvas
of my mind's eye,  paint it with the lingering scents of the day and the
warmth of the  air in a sensation that no mere pigment can capture. Life and
brilliance and heat, and I the moth to the flame, longing forever  more.
I stretch my arms forth and let the grasses brush against my  hands, feel
their blades tickle and shiver. The warmth is fading  already, the cool of the
night descending. I breath again,  regretful. The difference is so small but so
telling. Scent of the  night, of the moon and stars, of the still quiet of the
evening.  With the warmth goes the vibrancy, the frantic stirring life. The
colors in my dream fade and darken.
Opened eyes reveal the moon gliding higher in her path,  surrounded on all
sides by her glittering court of stars as they pay  her homage. The sunset has
faded from all but the most stubborn blue  tints against the horizon, the soft
lights along the garden path  springing into life with the falling darkness.
Night, and already I  can hear the others stirring within the house, the death
sleep  relinquishing us all once again.
I let my head fall back, close my eyes, but the dream has slipped  away with
the retreat of sun. Banished into the realm of dreams upon  waking, there to
rest until sleep should call it forth once more.
My hand brushes softness as I stretch once more and I turn my  head to look.
A milkweed bud, aged into a sphere of feathery spores,  nods heavily back at
me. Silvery in the strengthening moonlight, it  is the lone refugee from the
gardener's blades. A memory stirs in  the darkened recesses of time long gone -
a distant memory of  something played out beneath rich blue skies. A child's
game,  perhaps, but the memory slips away like a ghost through my grasp.  Silly
things. Wishes carried on summer breezes.
The garden is still and quiet in the gathering night, the rich  air as yet
unbroken by any heartbeat but my own.
I draw in a breath filled with the scents and flavors of the sun  drenched
day and let it out in a quick stream. The tiny bits of  fluff pull free,
dancing
upon the air; iridescent fragments of  feathery day dreams released upon the
indigo stream of the night.
End.

 (http://www.tc.umn.edu/~pres0049/Storypage.html)
 (http://ann.simplenet.com/)