Territorial Beasts
By Kabuki
February 2002

Told from Lestat's POV. Violence warning. Hope you  enjoy.

It has always been my belief that vampires, by  nature are fiercely
territorial. They repel any of their own kind who does  not bear some former
stamp of
approval. Most vampires will either attack  or ignore any fellow blood drinker
who passes through their hunting  grounds, yet if a coven is threatened then
heaven help the trespasser. A  vampire is prone to defending those of its
blood, and of course the lair,  at all costs. Armand is the most obvious
example of
this sort of behavior,  and as Louis related in his novel the later coven
which formed in the  Theatre of the Vampires in Paris had much the same
inclinations. Even I am  not above such actions, as evidenced by my past
history in the
lush nights  of the city of New Orleans when an unnatural child with golden
hair and  large sapphire eyes bound Louis and me inexorably together. I was not
 blind to the rules I had broken in creating those two, for both were
technically weak and dependent on me for survival. At all times I  envisioned
the
harsh glare I would receive from Marius was he to know of  my doings.

Because of the weakness others might have perceived in  my fledglings, I made
a point of keeping the city of New Orleans clean of  any other vampires that
may have chanced upon us. I had little to fear in  the earliest years of our
life together, when I was the only other vampire  in the New World to whom they
could turn. There would be no other vampires  who had formerly been
aristocrats washing up on the Mississippi shoreline.  Armand's tawdry little
coven had
succeeded in preventing such a breed of  blood-drinker from taking hold in the
city of Paris and, I discovered  during my travels there, within the French
countryside as well. Armand had  held sway over all the vampires in France,
much to the surprise of  Gabrielle and myself during our nightly procession
toward Italy. However,  New Orleans became a sort of vampire destination when
Napoleon sold  France's claim in the New World to the upstart former English
colonies. I  found that I had others of my kind to contend with while keeping
Louis
and  Claudia innocent to the reality of other vampires aside from us.

I  was completely unprepared for the first encounter. Claudia, far from the
woman-child she would become, never ventured far from me in our kills  every
night. Even so, I would return her to Louis when she had taken her  fill and
set out to make my second or third kill. Her smaller stature  demanded less
blood than mine, and the constant temptation brought about  by living so close
mortals, and of course the beguilingly distant  Louis, made my hunger
increase. I had learned early in our relationship,  if one could call it such,
that
only when I was filled to capacity with  human blood and sated by the heady
thrill of the kill could I live so  close to Louis without supping on his
blood.
When Claudia and I fed  together that particular night, she had chosen our prey
with an intuitive  skill common among my children. The man and woman had been
easy targets  for us, stepping with the daintiness of the overly rich through
an  alleyway. Two boys, barely fifteen and living from the stolen trinkets of
 their victims that could be pawned, had been following the couple since
Canal Street. With a silent command I bid them away and allowed Claudia to
continue after the rich couple. I was still wary of allowing her to feed  from
children so soon after her own creation. The rich couple held her  attention
completely, however, so there was little for me to do except  allow her to
decide
the night's hunting pattern.

As we moved  nearer to the couple I caught the scent of something strange
emanating  from the man -- blood. Not any ordinary sort of blood, but that of a

vampire. It was as though another of our kind had marked this particular
mortal for a fledgling. I glanced at Claudia, but she seemed oblivious to  that
which I could so easily detect. Her movements all indicated a strong  desire
for
the woman, and seeing that her quarry was of little threat I  allowed Claudia
to pursue her kill while I in privacy pursued mine. She  was more than happy
to comply, and so I found myself striking up a  conversation with the dashing
young man. The closer I came to him, the  more certain I became that he had
somehow been fed the blood of a vampire.  I admit I was intrigued. I had
thought
myself the only vampire from the  Old World to migrate this far into the
Americas. I had never sensed  another of my kind within the city of New
Orleans,
and so the smell of an  unfamiliar vampire was an allure to which I was una
ccustomed. I drew him  close, as though for a kiss. He may have protested but I
held him easily  in my thrall, deepening my spell as we spoke. By the time I
was
prepared  to slide my fangs into his tender throat, he was lost in my eyes
and in  his own thoughts.

It was the feeling of being watched, as I had so  often felt in Paris from
the vampires of Les Innocents peering at me from  trees and cemeteries, which
caused me to hesitate. I raised my head,  smiling a little as I searched the
darkened streets for the other vampire.  ::Well, come out then. No use hiding
from me.::

There was no  response and I, frustrated with the cowardice of such a
creature, sank my  fangs very deliberately into the throat of my prey. The
swoon
threatened,  but I did not drink but a sip or two, letting the majority of the
blood  rush down the man’s ebony frock coat to the street. My eyes remained
watchful, waiting for the vampire to react. I’d forgotten how much fun it
could
be to taunt the silly beasts so.

When Claudia finished, I  still had heard no sign of my cowardly comrade.
Claudia was staring at the  woman she had killed with such rapt abandon that
for
an instant I wondered  if she could see the soul tearing itself free of its
fleshy prison. She  turned to me, instantly noticing the wasted blood upon the
cobblestone  streets. I waved away her questions impatiently, dropping the
corpse of my  victim carelessly and kneeling down at eye level with her.
“Claudia,
I  want you to run along home now, and see to it that Louis eats tonight. You
 know how stubborn he can be.”

“But father, what of that man? You  spilled so much. Are you ill?”

Her eyes were so filled with  concern for me, wide and innocent as a lamb. I
felt my own anger creeping  close, at the thought of her own innocence and my
cursed plight which had  forced her creation. I stood, towering over her
though my voice was devoid  of menace. I’m certain she comprehended my message.
“
You shouldn’t worry  on such maters. Now do as I say.”

As she left the alley, I turned  to the vampire. He had moved, the scantest
of motions, but I sensed him  all the same. His power too I sensed, though that
quality was of much less  impressive stock. He was so young that his clothes
retained a human odor.  ::You have talent for one barely a year old. Tell me
who it was made you  that I might congratulate him on an excellent choice?::

The  vampire seemed surprised at mental communication, and stood perplexed
before approaching with all the curiosity of a child. Foolish, trusting  child.
Obviously he knew little of the nature of our kind. As he stepped  into the
light I picked out the details of his appearance. Nothing special  in any sense
of the word, though his hair seemed particularly luxurious  shade of auburn
and his eyes a striking green. I hated him  instantaneously, for no vampire
should have eyes like those. They would  have seemed beautiful had I never
before
seen the eyes of a certain Creole  gentleman who even now bemoaned his ever
crossing paths with one such as  I. The eyes of this one were little more than
a cheap imitation, a mockery  of my Louis’ breathtaking melancholic beauty.

The young one  approached cautiously, though with obvious eagerness. “I
thought I was the  only one here in this New World. I’ve been all over, from
the
northernmost  tip of the Americas to the Spanish Floridian glades. I never
actually  expected to find—“

I had no patience for this novelty. “Were you  made here then, in Louisiana?
Do you hail from New Orleans or Baton Rouge  or any of the other little cities
in this place?”

The young one  shook his head, claiming to have hailed from Europe near
Brittany. I  smiled, relieved that he had not brought a coven, or that a
vampire
was  not here creating others to trouble my contentment. I had seen more than
enough vampires before coming to care for my father. It was comforting  that
this one was alone.

He was still talking about his life and  adventures when I seized him,
locking my fangs upon his tender fledgling  throat. Oh, how young and naïve he
was,
to think that perhaps this was a  customary greeting among our kind! I almost
laughed, but then the swoon  overtook me. I think he struggled, but against
the combined blood of  Magnus, Marius, and Akasha that flowed in my veins, he
had little hope of  escape. I drained him a much as possible, then set fire to
his body. He  was still alive then, writhing in pain as the flames licked at
his fragile  skin. We never do die quietly or easily, it seems. I made sure to
scatter  the ashes after the deed was done.

I think it was better to have  killed him. I couldn’t tolerate anyone coming
to my coven, my family of  sorts, and filling their heads with the desire to
travel. This city should  content them as I was content, or so I reasoned. I
was starved for  attention, and I longed to regain what I had lost. Musing in
my
coffin  later that evening, as the sun began its steady climb into a New
World  daylight sky I would never see, I realized I envied the child. He was
too
inquisitive, too eager to learn all he could from anyone who might  approach,
no matter what the cost of such knowledge in the future. Yes, I  reasoned, he
was better off dead. And my family, for what it’s worth, was  safe.

Many more vampires would enter our city as the years flew  by. I killed or
intimidated every one of them. Those who would leave ran  to parts unknow

deal here.