Disclaimer: This is a work of non profit fiction, the  characters contained
within belong to Anne Rice and her publishers.  No copyright infringement is
intended.
Spoilers: TotBT
Dedication: For Pat and Dragonwhelp, who both know the thrill  of the written
word.

by Beverley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

It never ceases to amaze me at the mental deficiency of the  mortal mind.
Insecurity and fear of the unknown kept your ancestors alive but  now this
seems abandoned in the haze of searching for the next  ephemeral thrill,
something larger, more lethal, to convince  yourselves that you are still in a
living
state.
Long ago I had stopped concealing what I am from you.
I displayed the luster of my flesh to your hungry eyes, and  exposed the
numbing coldness that throbs from the surface of my  skin. But still you came
flaunting your nubile bodies, and begged  for any kind of sexual deliverance.
It tires me that you would throw away your fleeting time on this  earth for a
few hours of carnal pleasure.
Therefore, I adapted my nightly routine, dressing in my uniform  black but
adding calf leather gloves to mask fingernails that  reflect the light, and
leaving my hair loose to swallow up the  paleness of my face. Nearly a new
century
and I behave in the same  manner as I did on the eve of the last one.
Progress is sometimes  difficult to comprehend.
Random thoughts on this mid winter night try to drive me away  from my
purpose. An irritation builds deep inside, I do not want to  be here but the
summons, from Maharet, did not contain a clause for  refusal.
The night is polar cold and crisp with the stillness born from a  new
snowfall. My feet sink into the snow-frosted grass leaving a  trail of lonely
footprints. Slowly I turn and place one foot, heel  to toe, in the last
footprint.
"Trying to erase yourself?"
His soft voice floats across from beneath the shelter of a huge  oak, its
branches stretching witchlike towards the snow pregnant  sky.
"Now why would I desire to do that?" I reply to his question with  one of my
own. It was a habit born from familiarity.
"So what brings you to this arctic land?" Again, another  question, as he
stands and shakes the virgin snow from his clothes.
I motion towards the Elizabethan manor house with its deep  pitched roof,
narrow gables and numerous chimneys, sleepily silent  and unaware of the
turmoil
raging in its innards.
We fall into step side by side, strolling around the exterior of  the house
like two English Lords.
I let him pick up the thought from my mind and his mouth curls up  at the
edges in a gesture modern society would call a smirk.
He meets my eyes and for a moment a silence hangs between us.
I break the fragile thread that joins us.
"Is this the end for him?"
"Damn it, Santino, lose the questions, boy!" He laughs then,  displaying his
infectious smile.
Pursing my lips I incline my head to one side, and survey my  companion.
"Did I ever inform you that lesser vampires would be a collation  for daring
to call me that?"
He stamps his feet on the cobbled path that leads to the main  doorway and
blows on his fingers.
"You are an unmanageable wretch, Santino, but I refuse to argue  with you
while we both turn to blocks of ice."
He makes his point by heading purposefully for the door.
I watch him briefly before following.
I know he will pause to let me open the door, as his own strength  in such
simple matters is hard to regulate.
A curtain of warm light floods from the house as I open the  unlocked door
and I hesitate before stepping over the threshold.  Comfort is something I do
not crave as others of my kind do. I find  that it relaxes the mind and body,
leaving one vulnerable to attack.  It has been a long time since I have been
inside a dwelling,  especially one as welcoming as this. My companion strides
past me  and enters the vast hallway, his boots echo on the tiled floor.
I raise one eyebrow at the sound and he waves his hand at me.
"There is no-one in this wing of the house save our asinine  relation and his
mortal protector."
I bow my head slightly in a modest gesture as I scan the house  for signs of
life. I have not survived for so long by believing  anyone.
"Our host has a most prolific art collection, and a keen eye for  colour." He
wanders to a trio of small prints hanging in an alcove  by the staircase.
"Our host would be most honoured to know that Benjamin the Devil  approves of
his taste," I tease, still on guard as I make myself  comfortable on an
Elizabethan chair.
"We have met before, Santino, at that accursed concert,  remember?" Khayman
runs one finger appreciatively across the surface  of a muted watercolour.
I freeze in my reply as I pick up another presence from the  garden.
Khayman narrows his eyes and comes to my side, placing his hand  on my
shoulder and focussing his vision towards beyond the door.
A slight tremble from his body is the only evidence that he had  taken the
life of the whelp outside.
"She was newly made and weak. The blood sang like a crazed  marionette in her
veins. We must eliminate the runts for they are  our greatest danger."
A little shrug from his shoulders and he leaves me to continue  his
inspection of the artwork. I admire him for his ability to play  God for our
breed and
wonder on this new side to him. Since the  night of Akasha's downfall, this
simple vampire has undertaken a new  role, to rid the night of the ones who the
blood had driven to  madness. He does not seek them out but if they cross his
path, they  are eliminated. Dark thoughts sweep into my mind that this is his
way of absolving his guilt from the past. To incite a rebellion  against
Akasha and Enkil he made his own immortal army of blood  drinkers and driven by
blind rage, he gave the power to any that  desired it.
Many of these tortured souls were to be crushed in the war that  followed.
Now he takes the lives of lesser vampires. I muse upon whether it  is to end
their suffering or to balance the chaos that lives in his  child like mind.
This immortal with the skin like bleached bone on a desert beach,  did not
need to kill to exist, but I had accompanied him on hunts  where the pleasure
was etched on his face when the blood pulsed into  his mouth. I did not care
for
his method of breaking open the bones  to suck out the marrow but it was his
preference. I contemplate upon  whether there would come a time when the blood
would seem like a  mild drug and I would crave the core of my victims.
I sit back into the chair and finger the polished wood.
"The termination, did it offend you, Santino?"
I absorb his question fully before answering.
"I knew nothing of her past, of her parentage, but your judgement  in my
company has never failed. In these cases I strive not to form  an opinion, but
forgive me if sometimes deeds cause me to meditate."
He nods in approval at my answer.
This is a game we play and had played for centuries. He appears  from the
shadows when the loneliness plagues him and the questions  flow between us like
river to the sea. He is the closest thing to  a friend that I had ever had,
but we both would not admit to the  chemistry between us. That was a weakness
and one displayed by the  fledglings of our breed, a trait not known in the
days of old when  solitary survival was the most basic instinct. The witch
hunters and  shamans were rife in every village; to survive each night was at
best,
nearly impossible. Now the fledglings were fat and lazy with  complacency,
they did not have to fight to stay alive in this era of  ambrosia, they forged
friendships and lovers like the mortals they  fed upon. A recipe for disaster
and now the most bold of them lay in  agony beside a roaring log fire, the
victim of his own deranged  notions.
And they all wept. But why?
"Could you save Lestat?" More questioning from my head. I am  content in my
own knowledge until I am in the company of this  Egyptian ancient with the hair
as black as the Kemet soil of the  Nile valley.
He stops suddenly in his tracks, and turns to me with a serious  expression
on his face.
"If he drank from me he would survive, but I can not offer him my  vein.
Lestat drank from She who made me; he has all he needs to  survive. It is up to
him if he wants to continue. I'm not here to  offer him the easy option."
I am mildly surprised at his words and I catch a glimmer of  irritation in
his voice. Lestat is obviously not close to his heart.
"They will come in their droves to worship the fallen Prince,"  Khayman
pauses at the entrance to the drawing room, "for he has  shown them that
immortality does not mean anonymity. But at what  price?"
Khayman settles his hand upon the doorknob and turns it silently,  opening
the drawing room within. I smile at the concentration etched  onto his face.
The room is of modest proportions with the glow of embers in the  welcoming
hearth. Lestat lay in the library, the room beyond,  watched over by his mortal
friend, David Talbot.
I survey the trappings of a mortal life around me. The room is  small and
faces northeast, a single lead mullioned window the only  source of natural
light. Burgundy velvet drapes edged in gold ribbon  hang from a dark wooden
pole,
the weight of the fabric causing the  pole to bow in the centre. Oak paneling
covers the walls, almost to  the ceiling and many prints and photographs jostle
for supremacy  upon the old wood. Smiling faces on these photographs of David
 Talbot as a young and middle aged man, faces of his Talamascan  colleagues,
faces of the dead. He is one of the last remaining, his  breed nearly extinct.

I wipe the droplets of snow from the ends of my hair with my  fingers and
rouse myself from my thoughts.
"Why are we here?" I voice the most critical issue in my head.
"To observe." His reply is swift and non-committal.
"In the house of a Talamascan, we are here to observe?" I am  animated by the
irony of that thought.
Khayman studies me for a brief moment.
"Santino, I know enough about you to realise that you doubt my  answer. If we
are not here to observe, why do you think we are  spending the night under
this roof?"
I meet his gaze, slamming up my shields against his gentle  probing. He is my
confidant but I would let no one enter my mind  without approval.
"I believe we are here to nursemaid Lestat, to watch over him,  yes, but to
protect him in his frailty too, against ones that seek  to claim his crown. For
some reason our kindred needs to protect  him, you know that but you don't
know why." It was a bold statement  I made but I always spoke my mind in issues
that mattered.
He lowers his head and stares into the flames as he forms his  answer.
"For better or for worse he will be our salvation or our  damnation."
A small shiver runs down my spine at the tone of his voice.
"We are to be invisible I assume?" I pick up an empty glass  tumbler and
inhale the interior, pretending that my question is  unimportant.
"We are to use our initiative, " he smiles at me sagely, dark  brows drawn
together in good humour.
"You do realise that when he is fully recovered his ego will be  utterly
uncontrollable." I stretch my body in front of the glowing  fire letting the
luxury seep into my bones for an instant.
"Lestat's ego is as much a part of him as the sand in the  desert," Khayman
continues as he settles on the old Chesterfield,  drawing his legs up and
nimbly tossing a cushion from his feet to  his hands. "It's going to be a long
night, Santino, make yourself at  home." He motions with his eyes towards the
adjoining chair.
I sit down on the edge of the chair and fold my arms.
"Why am I here, Khayman, just to keep you company?"
"Santino, I swear that if you ask me one more question tonight"  His voice
trails into silence. "You are here to restrain the one  known as Louis de
Pointe
du Lac if he appears. His emergence could  be catastrophic, Lestat may not be
able to deal with his arrival."
I exhale deeply. I had seen first hand the bond between Louis and  Lestat on
the night of Akasha's downfall. I did not know of what had  gone between them
only that Lestat had spurned his fledgling in  favour of the mortal, David
Talbot. Lestat had gone into the sun  without saying farewell to his Creole
fledgling.
A small whimper of pain from the room beyond bleeds through the  gap around
the door that separates us. Khayman raises his hand as I  stand and carefully
peel back the heavy lace curtain that hangs over  the many panes of glass in
the door.
In one glance I absorb the room and its contents. Another small  dark space
crammed with the past, this one sported keepsakes from  David's many travels,
carved ivory animals from Africa and silk  screens from the Far East. Weapons
too, guns and swords hanging  around the walls, stuffed animal heads staring
glassily into space.
Lestat lay, covered in a beige flannel blanket before the hearth.  One hand
lay curled upon the stone hearth, the flames glinting from  his preternatural
nails. His pale hair fans out onto the tiger skin  rug and I can see his
profile clearly from my vantagepoint. My eyes  are drawn to his skin, tight
against
his bones and glowing with a  caramel hue. The blisters on the surface of his
face are wet and raw  with newborn anger.
"Did you ever read Faust?"
Khayman's question catches me unprepared. He continues.
"There is a well worn copy of it on the table," he nods with his  head
towards the library. "I remember having a very heated  discussion with Armand
conc
erning if we, as vampires, sold our souls  to the devil, because in life we had
not experienced complete  satisfaction."
I turn to him and carefully choose my answer. "Doesn't that  depend on
whether the vampire concerned had the choice in his fate?  For those of us that
were
given the Blessing unwillingly how can  that be?"
A strange silence hangs over the room as Khayman contemplates his  reply.
"I bow to your point, Santino, but I must add that if we  had a choice how
many were truly satisfied with what  mortality offered them."
"Marius." I fling the name almost flippantly across to him.
"Marius has the cleverness and wit that his era dealt him, a  certain
sophistication, shall we say. He has the open heart of a  child, always
searching for
ways to define and understand the human  spirit. I believe that your
assumption could be true, dear friend,  Marius would have been happy to stay a
mortal
and to die an old man  with white hair and flocks of grandchildren at his
feet. But look  what the vampire race would have lost."
I meet Khayman's curious gaze and hold it somewhat stubbornly.
The name of Marius is a thorn in my side and one that I did not  utter often.
No doubt my mentioning of it had freed more questions  in my companion's
mind.
I was not the vampire that had stormed that Venetian haven and  sounded the
death knell on the gentle Roman. My reasons then were  true and what I believed
in. Time had changed my opinion but I still  had to live with the past.
"What of the Talamascan?" I change the subject swiftly.
Only a small spark of amusement in Khayman's eyes shows me that I  am
forgiven for my outburst.
"David is a rare mortal, he does not want our gift even though he  knows that
his own death is near. He has shown Lestat that  immortality can be refused,
something that our Prince mocked. The  bond between them is strong. I want to
document this night."
I feel my eyes widen slightly at this statement.
Khayman chuckles to himself and puts his hand on my shoulder.
"The Talamasca does not have the only right to watch and observe.  Lestat may
be presumptuous and highly strung but his existence is  legendary." His gaze
floated across the room as he chose his next  words. "This may also be the
last chance the Great Family has to  document his travels. There is talk, from
Maharet.."
He purses his lips together and stops suddenly, his face a mask  of
contemplation. I know better than to further the conversation.
"He will survive the burning," the thought leaps from my  mouth like a caged
bird.
Khayman nods, "Tonight was the crucial time. I have felt his  heartbeat grow
stronger with each passing hour. The others come but  hover far away, too ill
at ease to come closer. No doubt they sense  your presence, Santino."
He smiles at me and I return the gesture openly.
"I am but a witness," I reply, and bow my head towards him. "Let  them attend
to their Prince and converse of his endevours in hushed  tones. Maybe we need
a hero?"
I let a smile play on my lips as to the absurdity of this  statement. "Lestat
is, without a shadow of a doubt, a vexation  without explanation."
What I had dreamt about in those dark nights in Rome of what a  vampire
should be, was laying motionless a few feet from me now.
Centuries pass and I am not as I was then, but my words follow me  like a
night shadow.
The circle is complete.

 (http://www.tc.umn.edu/~pres0049/Storypage.html)

The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of  the page
author.
The contents of this page have not been reviewed or  approved by the
University of  Minnesota.