Good evening, Fledglings. For those of  you who haven't heard this terribly sad
news, I ask all of you to join me in saying a quiet prayer honoring the memory
of Mr. Jonathan Frid. Jonathan, a Canadian Native, a multi-talented
Shakesperian Actor, who appeared on the the big screen with Hollywood
Superstars, Kathryn Hepburn, and Paul Newman, is best know for his role as the
lovable, and melancholy vampire, Barnabas Collins. Jonathan, age 87, passed
away peacefully in his sleep, this past Friday, April 13th, at his home in
Canada. He had recently filmed a cameo performance for "Dark Shadows 2012", a
Tim Burton, with Johnny Depp in the Jonathan's former role.  He was also
scheduled to appear in this weekend's "Dark Shadows" Festival in Terrytown, NY.
I, myself, was devastated by the news of Jonathan's unexpected passing. Anyone
of you who is familiar with, my fascination with vampires, vampire history,
legend, and lore, knows that I have been, and will always be a devoted fan of
Barnabas Collins, and the "Dark Shadows" TV series. I grew up watching the
series, and had been a fan of the dark, and Gothic series, with it's eerie
atmosphere, brooding characters, and remote, New England setting. I was there,
in front of the TV for the very first episode on June 27, 1966. I was 15 years
old, and was immediately captivated. Of course, in the beginning, Dark Shadows
was yet another day time soap opera. It had yet to debut the first of it's list
of unearthly, spectral characters. At the beginning, we got a daily glimpse of
the guarded, reclusive lives of the Collins Family. Protected by the thick,
stone walls of the family mansion, known as Collinwood, built upon an
expansive, rambling stretch of land, situated on a lofty, hilltop, overlooking
the Atlantic Ocean, and the rural, fishing village, of Collsport, Maine. The
small, isolated town was founded by the Collins family, and that same very
wealthy family, continued to own and control, not only the majority of the
village's fishing boats, but it's primary industry, a large, and thriving Sea
Food Cannery. I was very curious to discover the secret that kept the family
Matriach, Elizabeth Collins Stoddard a prisoner of the majestic estate for 18
years, what hidden truth was her younger brother, Roger Collins hiding, and how
was he linked to thee dark, and angry man  (Burke Devlin), who had arrived on
the same train that brought the series main character, Victoria Winters? Why
was Roger's son, David, not able to attend school with children his own age,
and what were the problems that kept Carolyn Stoddard, Elizabeth Stoddard's
only child, from marrying her handsome boyfriend, Joe Haskell? All of this was
probably standard soap opera story material, but, written with the eerie,
Gothic tone that was the specialty of Dark Shadows' creative staff, and you had
a story, and characters that just, plain gave you the creeps. Add to this mix,
a spoiled, ill tempered, homicidal 9 year old brat, named David, who is not
only ignored by his father, Roger, but despised by him at the same time,
because he mistakenly believed the boy was not his own offspring, but was the
result of his wife's affair with Burke Devlin.

Unfortunately, while I was enjoying the gloomy goings on at Collinwood, most
other TV viewers, the Network critics, and the series' sponsors, didn't agree,
and were planning to cancel the show. Series producer, Dan Curtis, having taken
note of the sharp rise in viewer and sponsor ratings, along with a great deal
of fan mail, that was sparked by the appearance of a shimmering, incandescent
phantom, clad in a long, white, old-fashioned wedding gown. Her face was
concealed by the layers of her bridal veil. As she emerged from her portrait,
hung above the Drawing Room fireplace, of the former home of the Collins
family, referred to as "The
Old House", she walks slowly toward the camera. In her hands, she is still
holding her wedding bouquet. This is the specter David claims he talks to -
Josette Collins.

Following Josette's rescue of Vicky Winters, we're confronted by the mystery of
Laura Collins, Roger's wife. Her appearance in town causes quite a stir. Sam
Evens and Burke Devilin are the most effected. The last time Roger had seen his
wife, she was a patient in a mental hospital. Laura is a seriously weird lady.
She's attracted to fire, and she claims to have been living alone in Phoenix,
AZ, which is a clue. Laura is a Phoenix, and she's come to get her son, so she
take him with her when she consumes herself in fire, in order to be reborn.

After Laura, Jason McGuire turns up, and begins blackmailing Elizabeth, with
the "secret" of her husband's disappearance. He brings along his short tempered
friend, Willie Loomis, who menaces the women of the house. It's during the
Jason McGuire story that Barnabas makes his first appearance. Willie, while
searching for the legendary Collins family jewels, finds a chained coffin
concealed in a secret room. He opens the chains, but he doesn't find any
jewels, he finds Barnabas! The rest is history.

I don't know how many of you are Dark Shadows fans, but, for me, this is a sad
time. 46 years have passed since Dark Shadows first aired on TV. That's a long
time. On Friday, April 13th 2012, a sizeable chunk of my childhood ceased to
exist. That's a bitter pill to swallow...

 Gloria
Right Fang Girl

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional