A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Larry Tobin

Article Title:
Stop Stressing - Resist the Urge to Time Travel

Article Description:
For creatures that supposedly only exist in the present, we
sure do a lot of time traveling. We worry about tomorrow, we
fret over yesterday, and all the while our current status
gets neglected. If we're going to make the best of our
efforts to relieve stress and get to where we want to be, we
need to make a habit of making the most out of the present,
instead of letting time-traveling worries get the best of
us.

Additional Article Information:
===============================

Distribution Date and Time: 2010-08-10 10:15:00

Written By:     Larry Tobin
Copyright:      2010
Contact Email:  mailto:larry.to...@thephantomwriters.com

For more free-reprint articles by Larry Tobin, please visit:
http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/larry-tobin.html

Versions Of Article Are Available at:
http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/t/resist-the-urge-to-time-travel.shtml#get_code

Stop Stressing - Resist the Urge to Time Travel
Copyright (c) 2010 Larry Tobin
Habit Changer
http://www.HabitChanger.com/

For creatures that supposedly only exist in the present, we sure
do a lot of time traveling. We worry about tomorrow, we fret over
yesterday, and all the while our current status gets neglected.

Some of our most distracting worries aren't even the current
ones. Frequently we'll drag ourselves down by worrying about
tomorrow and whether we're really ready for it, or we'll fail
to get things done today because we're still beating ourselves
up for the gaffe we made yesterday, or for not doing something we
planned on doing. If we're going to make the best of our efforts
to relieve stress and get to where we want to be, we need to make
a habit of making the most out of the present, instead of letting
time-traveling worries get the best of us.

Step #1 - You're OK

One mistake we often fall into is trying to stop thinking about
something without substituting anything in its place. This isn't
really possible, because the act of trying to stop thinking means
you are thinking. For example, try to go 10 minutes without
thinking about a polar bear on a beach. It's hard, isn't it?

Instead, substitute a positive thought for the negative ones.
When you feel yourself worrying about tomorrow or fretting about
something that happened, interrupt the process. Take a deep,
steadying breath, and say aloud "I am OK now." What happened
has happened, you can't change it. What's going to happen
isn't here yet, and there's probably time to plan for it.
Instead, focus yourself on what's good in the here and now, and
remind yourself of it.

Step #2 - Physical Reminders

Habits grow stronger when they have a physical component to go
along with the action themselves. The reason many religious
rituals are so ingrained into our culture is the physical parts
that reinforce the idea and help build the habit. Take advantage
of this by carrying around an "I'm OK" card.

On one side of the card, write "I'm OK" along with three
reasons. "I'm OK because... there's food in the house," or
"I'm OK because... I live in a beautiful neighborhood to walk
in." Your reasons can be your own, but make sure they appeal to
you and your sense of well-being.

On the other side of the card, write down three things you've
accomplished recently. Big or small — doesn't matter, just put
down something you've managed to do. Once you've verified your
reasons for being OK, flip over and remind yourself of your
progress and that it's helped bring you to the point of being
OK. Do this every time you start to worry about the past, present
or future, and build a steady habit of controlling your thoughts.

Step #3 - Take "Now" Actions

As we've said, activities can help bring your thoughts to the
present instead of stuck in time travel mode. Play a game with
your family, or play with a pet. These activities will force you
to the present, and keep your mind focused on something specific.

Alternatively, stop and read a book for a few minutes. It
doesn't have to be a long time, just enough time to start
following the plot of the story instead of worrying about
problems that are either gone or not yet here. Interestingly, our
brains can process things on multiple levels. When we sleep or
relax, our brains aren't completely "off." They're often
working on our problems behind the scenes without bothering our
conscious mind. So let your brain do the work for you while you
enjoy yourself and live in the moment.

Step #4 - Be Impulsive

Our thoughts get into patterns, just like our behaviors do.
Sometimes even a verbal interruption and a look at our card
isn't going to be a drastic enough change. This is OK, because
that isn't their purpose. Those steps and habit-building
behaviors are intended to work gradually over an extended period
of time. They mold our behavior steadily. However, sometimes you
need more of a shock to get things worked on.

Take a day off of work if you have it, and go somewhere exciting.
Ride a roller coaster at an amusement park, or go see a really
great movie you've been considering for a bit. Do something
outside your normal routine and force your mind to engage with
it. This can help you get your mind in the right context to make
your smaller, more gradual steps more effective the next day.

Step #5 - Talk it Up

Sometimes, we need a little help. Building a habit can be easier
when we have a partner, after all. Make a point of talking to
someone about how good things are, and how things are working out
for you. A conversation focused on the present is a great way to
get your attention centered in the here and now.

As with all habits, talking works best when it's part of a
routine. Make an appointment for the same time of day or time of
week to meet with your talking buddy. Have a nice, no-strings and
no-worries chat over coffee every Friday, and let your mind relax
from its time traveling worries.

Larry Tobin is the co-creator of
http://www.HabitChanger.com/ offering effective
and empowering solutions for stopping stress.
Try our 42-day program that will help you learn
proactive habits to beat stress  and keep
you moving forward in the right direction.
http://www.habitchanger.com/stopstressing

--- END ARTICLE ---

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/t/resist-the-urge-to-time-travel.shtml#get_code

TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
(Last Updated:  May 11, 2006)

  The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

*** Digital Reprint Rights ***

  Hyperlinks (clickable links).

  within the article.

*** Author Notification ***

  or her work. Larry Tobin can be reached at:
  larry.to...@thephantomwriters.com

  for Print Permission at:
  mailto:larry.to...@thephantomwriters.com

free tool:  http://thephantomwriters.com/link-builder.pl

Article Marketing Ebook at:

*
*
*    thePhantomWriters@yahoogroups.com
*

ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

are owned and operated by:

Bill Platt
3010 E Raintree
Stillwater, Oklahoma USA 74074

and opinion of its author, Larry Tobin
http://www.HabitChanger.com/

To have your article appear in this distribution list,
you must absolutely be a client of thePhantomWriters.

We offer a paid article distribution service, and this
is one of the more than 60 groups where we submit our
client articles. To learn more about our program, visit:

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: