Hi,

More of our young people need to know that there is a way out of
the delayed entry program! I can't imagine how many of the goal
mark of 200,000 recruits have been put through this kind of
military bully pressure and lies! I hear the number is much less
now and hopefully will continue to drop as we spread the word
about this organization and that there IS help. It might be a
good idea to get them on the radio and tell more about their
help.

Brian, Kevin, Mario, and Teresa - the CCCO staff

Central Committee for Conscientious Objectors
630 20th Street, Suite 302
Oakland, CA 94612
1-888-231-2226
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.objector.org

****

Gerard Gratiot: Rescued from the Delayed Entry Program -
Chris Lombardi

Read our fact sheet on getting out of the Delayed Entry Program
It's hard to know whether recruiters are getting fiercer in
their tactics to stop young people from leaving the Delayed
Enlistment Program or whether more of these young people are
getting their hands on our 800 number. Either way, at certain
times of year - June and September come to mind - one in three
calls on the GI Rights Hotline has a panicked pitch: "I need
help now!" "Now" is usually the week before the ship date on the
caller's enlistment contract, and they've changed their mind.
And their recruiter, the person who courted them, has told them
a lie: "You're in the military now. No way to get out." While
these calls may blend together for those of us on the Hotline -
the recruiter who terrorized a young immigrant's grandparents by
saying he'd never get citizenship, or the young man who was told
that separation from the Delayed Entry Program would be on his
social security record for fifty-three years (we're still trying
to figure that one out) - Gerard Gratiot's story still stands
out as a Delayed Entry Program tale with a dramatic rescue at
the end!

Free dog tags for real ones
Gerard was seventeen, a junior in college, when he enlisted in
the United States Marine Corps. "I remember when I was in sixth
grade, how exciting it was when a family friend was signing up
for the Marines." Gerard's first contact with the military
recruiting machine was an advertisement offering free dog tags
if he sent his name and address. "Then came the call from a
recruiter." Thus began the long and tumultuous relationship with
the Marine Corps. Enter Staff Sergeant Smith. Gerard gives a
description of Smith's sales pitch at their first meeting. "He
gives me a list, tells me to pick out what's important to me,
from a pile of little plastic cards: courage, commitment, job,
family. Then he looks up in this big Marine Corps book, and he
comes up with a job: yeah this job will work. He then proceeds
to tell me how the United States Marine Corps will help me reach
these goals." Still unsure, Gerard nonetheless told Smith he was
interested enough to get ready. In the next few weeks Gerard
took the ASVAB and required physical; finally he signed on the
dotted line.

"Everyone was so proud of me, I told myself this must be great."

But Gerard had second thoughts even before he went to his first
monthly Delayed Entry Program recruit meeting. He felt out of
place: "These Delayed Entry Program members, most of them had
been in JROTC all their lives." After two more meetings, Gerard
stopped showing up. "I made excuses to my recruiter, my parentsI
started working harder in school, trying to get a scholarship."
As he became interested in accounting, and joined Business
Persons of America, he knew in his heart he didn't want to be a
Marine. Just say no? "The stress kept building upFinally I told
my folks I didn't want to go in anymore. They said I didn't have
a choice, I'd signed up. Then my girlfriend went online, and
found the GI Rights Network."

When Gerard told his recruiter he'd changed his mind, Smith
"made charts with two plans: my life in 5 years, the Marine
Corps in 5 years. Then he took a gun and shot my life full of
holes." When Gerard persisted, "he read a paragraph from the
Michigan penal code:

"I could face a year in jail or a $500 fine."

The next day, Gerard received a note in class to see the school
guidance counselor and Smith was there.

"He said it's OK, I'll change your job if you want,"

(a reference to the fact that Gerard had scored high enough to
be assigned to intelligence) and then Smith invited him to a
Delayed Entry Program barbecue.

By then, Gerard knew: "I didn't want to leave my family, and I
wanted to go to college. Them telling me I HAD to be there made
me hate it worse." Fortunately, his accounting teacher, a
veteran, taught him to press his case up the chain of command.
When Gerard heard, "No one's going to be able to help you," he
responded with, "Sure, can I have the number of your superior?"
When he got to the captain and the latter said, "You can't back
out, and the only one above me is the Commandant of the Marine
Corps," Gerard said, "Well, can I get his name and number?"

In the meantime Gerard had taken the advice of CCCO's Alex Doty
and Eric LeCompte. He wrote a letter requesting separation in
April, with plenty of time until his scheduled June 21 ship
date. "I was getting ready to go to my graduation when the call
came," says Gerard. "Smith was out of town. This was another
sergeant, telling me my ship date had been moved up to June 15."

The recruiters even came to his door but Gerard told them to go
read his letter. A week went by, and Smith returned to Michigan:
"You know, you're still on for the twenty-first." When Gerard
denied this, Smith took Gerard to the very station commander, a
major, to whom Gerard had written his letter.

The major told Gerard, "If you do this, you'll never be able to
get government loans. You'll never be certified as a CPA, you'll
face the consequences. Make no mistake - you will be at boot
camp." Smith added to the scare tactics by hinting that Gerard
would face a dishonorable discharge and then he leaned over and
said, "I'll tell you something I never tell anyone. Listen, get
on that plane, go to boot camp. When you get there, tell the
drill instructor. I guarantee you'll be back in 20 days."

A siege in Troy
Convinced he had no choice, Gerard went with Smith. "We go down
to the Ramada right outside the MEPS center, spent the night
there then he woke me up at 4 a.m. to go down to the station in
Troy." When Gerard weighed a quarter of a pound over the
military's weight requirement,

Smith said, "Then we have to spend another night in the Hotel.
Just make sure you don't eat."

Gerard overheard another recruiter being told to give his
11-pound-over-the-weight-limit-recruit ex-lax. When Gerard told
Smith this was all garbage and he wanted to go home, Smith
started swearing: "F**k this, you decided to go. You don't have
a choice, we'll call the sheriff and we'll fly you there."

Once again, Gerard agreed to go, convinced they'd do it. "But I
said I won't sign anything; I won't take another oath." By the
next morning, Gerard had lost the required 1/4 pound of water;
he watched as MEPS personnel faked numbers on the forms that
recorded his strength test. "In the meantime, Smith goes by my
house to pick up my stuff, and tells my mom I freaked out, that
I was yelling at everybody there."

Finally, the moment of truth arrived. "I'm half an hour from
having to go swear in when they hand me a paper that says I
request to be put on active duty." Gerard asked, "What happens
if I don't sign this?" "We'll hit you with the Michigan penal
code." "Look I won't sign." Smith called Gerard's mother.

"Tell her you're going to jail." Amazingly, even with his mother
crying, "Just sign the paper," Gerard managed to sit tight.

Finally Smith called in a gunnery sergeant, who told Gerard:
"You got two choices, boot camp or jail." "I'm not refusing to
go," Gerard said. "I'm just not requesting this." "OK, Call your
mom and tell her you're going to jail." Instead Gerard watched
as the sergeant picked up the phone and listened to what he was
being told.

CO cavalry to the rescue
While Gerard was under siege in Troy, his girlfriend had reached
Alex, who then called Shazia Anwar, an attorney and executive
director of NISBCO, CCCO's sister organization in Washington,
D.C. Shazia had then called the head of Navy Recruiting in
Washington to alert him to the extremes of his recruiters.

"It was amazing, I was supposed to go to boot camp in an hour
next thing I know I'm talking to that same major who told me I'd
never be an accountant, and he sounds like someone from the GI
Rights Hotline!"

(Although the major apologized, it was for the pressure tactics,
not for the lies.) Ironically, two weeks later, Smith called
Gerard again. "He asked if I'd changed my mind, did I want to go
now?" When I talked to Gerard at the end of July, he had
recovered from his ordeal; he had also started work on a
website, to talk about his experience. He plans to link to the
GI Rights Hotline page <www.girights.org> to help spread the
word.

He knows he was just one of thousands of young people who
respond to a recruiter's sales pitch and find themselves wrongly
threatened. "You had to be pretty sharp," Gerard says. "You know
when I was in the recruiting office, I saw all the stuff on the
walls, what recruiters need to do: it said you needed to get 1.2
signed contracts for every Marine. I kept thinking, that means
some people don't go! I can be that point-two-percent!"

http://www.objector.org/articles/99/gerard.html