(Toronto)  A coalition of Canadian peace groups today announced their intention to send an international team of volunteer weapons inspectors into the United States later this winter.  The coalition, Rooting Out Evil, are recruiting inspectors through their newly launched website, www.rootingoutevil.org.

    "In the new year, Rooting Out Evil will be sending a team of volunteer weapons inspectors into that greatest of rogue nations, the United States of America.

    We have selected the US as our first priority based on criteria provided by the Bush administration. According to those criteria, the most dangerous states are those run by leaders who:

    1) have massive stockpiles of chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons;
    2) ignore due process at the United Nations;
    3) refuse to sign and honour international treaties; and
    4) have come to power through illegitimate means.

    The current US administration fulfills all these criteria. And so, again following Bush’s guidelines, Rooting Out Evil is demanding that his administration allow immediate and unfettered access to international weapons inspectors to search out their caches of chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons.

    If they refuse to comply, we will assemble as many volunteer weapons inspectors as possible at a major border crossing between the US and Canada and attempt to cross into the US on a mission of peace. We will be greeted on the US side by Americans who favour true global cooperation, an end to weapons of mass destruction, and a regime change in the US at the next election."

    For more information, or to take part, contact us at [EMAIL PROTECTED].
    Visitors to Rooting Out Evil's website are invited to sign on as honorary members of the weapons inspection team. Honorary inspectors can participate in the action, or they can simply lend the support of their name as they would on a petition.  The actual inspection team that crosses the border will be comprised of prominent individuals from Canada and other countries.

    The Rooting Out Evil coalition includes Greenpeace Canada, the Centre for Social Justice, and the Toronto Committee Against War and Sanctions on Iraq, and is supported by American groups such as the National Network to End the War Against Iraq, Global Exchange and the US section of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom.  They oppose the development, storage, and use of weapons of mass destruction by any state. For information:  David Langille or Christy Ferguson [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    "If we have no peace it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other." - Mother Theresa