I used to live on the beach in South Florida and these advisories are nothing new. This happens frequently because they pump raw sewage through underwater pipelines out into the ocean.  Most of the pipelines extend a couple of miles out from the shoreline and the sewage is carried away by the Gulf Stream currents and effectively dispersed. Many of these sewage pipes are very old and prone to leakage. When I lived in Miami, a large underwater pipeline broke wide open and was pouring tons of raw sewage into the bay until it was shut down and repaired. What a mess!  They've had quite a few other similar incidents over the years. The tides and currents normally take care of these pollution problems, but some times they "misbehave."

Most visitors don't even realize raw sewage is being pumped into the Ocean, they never see any of the pipelines and the Chamber of Commerce and Department of Tourism certainly isn't going to tell them about it. The average visitor looks at the crystal clear water and assumes it's safe to swim in. Most of the time it is, but not always.

These water advisory reports are bad for tourism so they try and keep a lid on most of them. This article doesn't say anything about it, but it sounds to me like they have another pipeline that's in need of repair. Again.