On 19/12/12 12:47, Stephen Farrell wrote:
<snip>
The 2nd part of the comment was that if you do need
to change the precertificate_chain idea (if the
issuing CA cannot create a precert issuer under itself
e.g. because of a pathLenConstraint) then the
PrecertChainEntry syntax might also have to change.
I dunno if that'd be a real problem now, or only
later, or is just theoretical but I'd say there
will be CAs that can issue TLS server certs but
that cannot issue a sub-ca cert for precertificates.

Ben, you said to me privately a couple of months ago that you would be happy to support the option of having each pre-cert signed directly by the same root/intermediate CA that will sign the final cert.

Are you still happy to support this option?

IMHO, having to include a Precertificate Signing Certificate in the precert chain represents unnecessary hassle.

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist