On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 21:59 +0100, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> Interesting idea. I note you say that this might add 5-30 seconds
> to the access time for a give site and more for a web page with
> more than one TLS server cert needed.
>
> Is that something that could get quicker to the level where it'd
> be acceptable do you think?

If more people ran Tor network exit nodes (using the existing Tor
project software), and the existing nodes would be less of a bottleneck,
it would probably get quicker.

Also, it depends on the sphere configuration. In my initial experiments,
one of the spheres was configured to accept only Tor exit nodes that are
located in Africa or South America, but those countries have very few
nodes currently (around 12 in total).

For example, if you were located in Europe, and you configured all of
the spheres to use european countries, only, it would probably be much
quicker.

> I suspect those kinds of latency would be a killer for browsers or
> other applications using TLS.

I agree that at this time the delay is a killer argument for enabling
the feature by default for all users.

However, there might be people who are very much worried about their
security, who might be willing to accept such delays.

Regards
Kai