Hi,

I've been investigating what it would take to get therion to produce SVG maps.
I'm not too interested in replacing pdftex to produce atlases: output in pdf
seems fine for that, but I find it hard to successfully convert pdfs with
transparency into something I can edit and add into larger
posters/publications.  I note that tunnelX have recently acquired an SVG output
module, but then they have it easy rendering through the Java2D API as they can
just plug in Batik.

Looking at the 0.3.5 sources I'd originally though that the output of metapost
was used by pdftex, but I see that you parse the PS and write your own pdf
fragments.  Since SVG uses exactly same rendering model as pdf it should be
easy enough to adapt this to produce SVG fragments also.  With these, replacing
pdftex for the job of stitching the fragments together into a map should be
feasible.

Do the developers have any comments on this?  If it seems sensible to you then
I'll have a go at an svg version of thconvert.cxx when I get some free time.

Also, do you have a CVS/svn repository for the code?  If so, would it be
possible for that to be exposed read-only?  I hate developing against point
releases when I know that a project is still undergoing such active development.

Cheers,

John